006

Beautiful Stranger

006

As days go by, seeing her cry from time to time has been a normal situation for Donghae. It’s like her cries could sometimes be the soundtrack of his day because there would be days where the only thing he could hear was her cries. No matter how hard she tried to hide it away from him, he knows that she’s crying right inside her room. Every night she would cry and she would wake up the next morning with swollen eyes.

Donghae was letting her have her time. He had told her what he wanted her to know and it depends on her whether to let those facts sink in her mind or not. If she’s still blindly in love with that son of a b tch then it might take her some time to recover. But only if she realized every word he had told her, it doesn’t matter how hard it is and it may take time but not too long for her to get over.

There are nights where she would join him to have a drink while drowning themselves with thoughts that bothers the both of them. He somehow understood her. Alcohol can sometimes be your escape when you wanted to forget about the reality temporarily just so you could forget about how painful you’re feeling is.

Sooyeon hadn’t heard from Minho for a month saying he’s in a business trip in Daegu and the fact that she changed her number made it impossible for Minho and Jisook to contact her. The last time he had sent her an email was dated a month ago and since then he haven’t emailed yet. It’s not that she’s expecting him to reach out for her. She just wanted to know if he’s still breathing.

As for Jisook, she had sent a lot of messages in her messenger pretending to be concerned and worried if she’s doing okay. Every time she reads her message she would just roll her eyes and feel like tossing her phone somewhere. She was scrolling through her email when she received a new one. It was from their company. It was actually her father, probably using their company’s email address.

To: Sooyeon Jung
Subject:

Message: Hi baby, it’s Daddy. How are you doing in there? You know Mom and me has been missing you a lot, especially your Mom. Are you eating thrice a day, baby? Are you doing just fine? I hope you are, my Sooyeon.

By the way, I heard from your Mom that you quitted your job two months ago and I was just thinking if you could give our company a chance to have you. You know, you’re going to run this business soon and I like you to work here and train you to become the next CEO of the company. I know you’re aware how important our business is to our family. Your grandmother established this organization and you’re the only one I got to take over to my position. Soon enough, you’ll be the next CEO when Daddy retires to take care of your Mom and of course, you.

I know you didn’t want the idea at the first place that’s why you flew to Seoul to know what you really want in life. I gave you time and maybe this time around, you could give it a try. I want you to think about it carefully. I’ll be waiting for your answer, alright?

I miss and love you, baby. I really hope I’d see you soon.

 

The next thing she knew was her vision got a little bit blurry and watery. She found herself crying again but this time, it’s about her parents. She misses them so much and it has been what ─ two years away from them. She really misses them and getting to know the fact that her parents miss her too touched her heart and made her teary-eyed.

How could a business proposal make her cry like that? And speaking of business, here’s the same proposal her dad has made for her. It was true that she didn’t really like the idea of involving in the world of businessmen and women. It was never her thing but she apparently no choice but to take the position that’s meant for her.

Somehow she realized that Donghae and she have some similarities. The both of them never liked business and didn’t want to get involved. But in her case, she can’t say no considering she’s an only-child unlike Donghae, who has a sister and a perfect brother who could handle their business.

Sooyeon wiped her tears away before Donghae could catch her crying again and closed the email that her father sent her. Maybe she still need a little more time to think about it or probably she’ll think of it when there’s nothing much going inside her head.

 

It was unusual for Lee Donghae to see her not crying. He saw her cross-seated while browsing something in her laptop. He was about to tell her something but then seeing her mood today changed his mind. Maybe it’s not right to tell her what he saw the other day when he was out. It’ll only bring back the tears in her face again and he definitely doesn’t want that. He’s not that insensitive, though. He tends to think before he could say something, think what effect it has to the person he’s telling it to.

He sat on the couch and stared at Sooyeon’s figure in front of him. Her back was facing him while she comfortably settled on the floor. He realized that she’s actually blogging and saw that she has this thing with fashion and photography.

“You like to take photos?” he asked her out of the blue.

She nodded and faced him to give her a shy smile.

“Enough to be the reason why you have tons of polaroids in your room.” Donghae shrugged and hugged the throw-pillow. He heard her chuckle.

Sooyeon told him that she really loves taking photos that she has three cameras with her and one of them was Instax. She told him that she really likes to travel and take photos of the sceneries and the breathtaking views. No wonder she likes to go to some places. The both of them know places where they could go.

“Taking photos is also my thing,” he mentioned as he stared at the perfect view of the city outside the big glass walls of his place. He was playing with his fingers as he let himself be lost in the view in front of him.

“Really?” was all Sooyeon could say.

The both of them really have some similarities and she finds it cool. How could be the two of them be the same in some ways?

 

He didn’t notice that she’s staring at him. She was thinking how could be this guy in front of her can be called as a black sheep when he’s really not one at all? Just because he failed his father and disobeyed everything he says means his son’s already a rebel? For her, Donghae just wants to do what he wanted and that’s exactly what he’s doing.

“Why do you hate your father so much?” those words just slipped away from without her notice.

Her question snapped the hell out of him. He looked at her to see her covering like she said something wrong. She mouthed ‘sorry’ to him but he just chuckled. Did she think that he might get mad at her for asking him that? What a petty reason to get mad.

He sighed and went to look out of the window again. “It’s not that I hate him. Well, maybe I hate him but there’s nothing I can do. He’s my father,”

“I just don’t get it,” she looked so cute while looking so confused. “Why are you so mad to each other? I mean, for example, why does your father like that to you?”

He shrugged. “Like you said before, he was never too good in saying things, showing what he truly feels. He’s like… a statue or something like a rock and can’t feel anything. He hates me probably because I was never the Donghae he had expected to become. He’s mad at me because I never become the Donghae he wanted me to be, I didn’t do what he said I should do when all along I just wanted to be free.”

“Is he that strict?” she asked out of curiosity.

He thought about it before shrugging. “I guess you can say that.”

“Maybe that’s why you hate him,” she pointed out.

But that wasn’t the reason. The reason why he hates his father is because he never gave him the same treatment as his brother. All that he wanted from his father was three things: love, treatment and support. But his father did none among of those. Back then, he was almost choosing business as a course to take but seeing Dongwoo like he’s enough for the business, he stepped back. He thought that maybe at least in that circumstance, he’ll outstand. But that didn’t change a single thing. His father had gone mad when he chose to study architecture instead of business. However, despite of his father’s disagreement, he still went with it.

“He never treated me the way he treats Dongwoo. He would always support Dongwoo in every way he could think of. Dongwoo would always be the best one for him. I get nothing from him. He never supported me with anything ─ no one ever did. That’s why I hate them for that and that’s why I’m trying to prove myself to them but I feel like I wasn’t enough.” He felt a sudden twinge in his heart.

It was the same reason why he fell back down before and still the same reason why he wanted to prove himself to them. However, in whatever he does in life, it’ll always seemed to be unnoticed because no matter what he does, he’s always going to be the black sheep of the family.

“Why were you the black sheep, then?”

He felt like being annoyed at her but he can’t. This is going to be one of those days wherein they’ll just waste the time getting to know each other better.

“I was indeed a rebel before for the same reason. I spent my days getting wasted and messed my life up. I admit that I was the one who never listened, the bad guy. I was literally a bad guy before. I’ve done so many things and knew a lot of stuffs in life. I knew what it is like being in a haze. That was me before I met Jaekyung. She changed me. I changed for the better to be enough for her but I never become enough either for her or for my family. I never was.”

That’s when she knew more about him. That’s why he knew so much about this cruel world they’re living in. He has been into situations you’d never imagined he went through. He has been through a lot that made him what he is right now. She realized that what happened to him before only made him strong like what he is now. He may have done crazy things before but he had changed. He changed because it was the right thing to do. He changed so that he could be enough for the girl he had loved but then he still felt like being enough.

“You maybe not enough for her or for your family but I’m sure there’s someone out there that will say your enough.” She stared deeply into his eyes as she sincerely told him every word.

“Who could that be?” he asked, smirking.

She shrugged. “A lot of people, probably? Because for me, you’re enough, Donghae. If Jaekyung thinks you’re not enough for her then you really don’t deserve her. And look where are you guys now. He’s now your sister-in-law, Donghae. Snap out of it.”

He chuckled. “Snap out of it, too.”

Sooyeon laughed a bit. “Let’s both snap out of it.”

 

“You said you like to travel,” he told her in a questioning tone.

She nodded as a response.

“Do you want to go with me?” he asked her that caught her full attention.

Sooyeon faced her again with questioning eyes and dropped jaw. “To where?”

“Country-hopping?” he smirked.

“Are you freaking serious?!” she unbelievably asked.

He only nodded like money doesn’t matter.

She grinned. “Where do we go first?”

He smirked.

 

And that’s what happened. The both of them ended up country-hopping, going to places they’ve never been before. The both of them took photos like there’s no tomorrow. Right now, she doesn’t mind about what’s happening around her. All that matters is that she’s making the most out of her life. She would post some of her photos in Instagram saying where she is.

The two of them first went to Boracay Island in the Philippines and went to London next, then to Greece, Italy, Paris, Tokyo and lastly, Copacabana. Sooyeon could have a travel book by now considering she already has tons of pictures in her camera. In fact, her Instagram account has tons of photos of her posted since their first trip.

Donghae unexpectedly found a new part-time job as Sooyeon’s new photographer. Some of Sooyeon’s photos were taken by him including her photo with the Eiffel Tower in Paris. He also took candid and stolen photos of her. Sooyeon posted a photo of her enjoying the beach in Boracay Island.  When they’re in London, she posted a picture of her coffee and Donghae’s coffee saying ‘it’s coffee time’ as a caption. Of course, she wouldn’t let the opportunity pass to capture the breathtaking view of the sea when they’re in Greece.

That was when she started using the hashtag: adventureswithjessi

She totally enjoyed their stay in Italy. She enjoyed it so much because pizzas and pastas are everywhere. Donghae took a photo of her having some wine and enjoying the food and she immediately posted it in her Instagram with a caption saying: Lunch date in Italy. #adventureswithjessi. Of course, her stay in Italy wouldn’t be complete without going to Milan to shop. She shopped for new clothes and stuffs for her and of course, for her mom.

Donghae, on the other hand, in every country they go, kept on capturing every moment in their stay. He has no idea why he kept on taking stolen pictures of Sooyeon. She really seemed to be enjoying the trip and that somehow feels relieving that his idea was working. He knows Sooyeon badly needs to snap out of the miserable life and deserves to have fun.

They were in their last stop which is in Copacabana. Sooyeon was spending her me time inside her hotel suite when Donghae knocked on the door and asked if he could come in.

“What’s up?” she asked as he went in.

He chuckled and shook his head. “Nothing much is going on lately. How about you? How’s your of a hole boyfriend? Did he contact you already?” he answered as he settled down on the couch

Sooyeon sighed. “He hasn’t and I don’t really care if he’s still breathing or not. The last thing I heard from him was he’s going in a business trip.” She reached for the chips on the bedside table and eat it.

Donghae laughed a bit seeing her react like she doesn’t care anymore. It made him think that maybe somehow this idea of his is kinda helpful in Sooyeon’s moving on process. It has been a month a half since they first went on their first stop in their adventure and now they’ve come to last part of their country-hopping.

He noticed that Sooyeon changed a bit as they went to every place they’ve been. He saw how carefree she was like nothing ever mattered to her but to let herself enjoy. She’s been smiling a lot these days and it makes him happy that she’s almost there to find her happiness. However, he couldn’t deny the fact that their trip had helped him too. Being with Sooyeon was fun. This is what two heartbrokens do to forget about the past and to go on with life.

One thing he had learned was to never let yourself to be trapped into something that would change your life forever. If it kills you, make a way to get out of it. If it enjoys you, so be it. But being trapped in the memory of Jaekyung kills him so much that he felt tired eventually. Before he told himself he’ll never get tired of loving her even if it’s unrequited but he was wrong. Just like what he had told Sooyeon before, she deserves so much better and so does he. After all, all the he wanted was to love and to be loved. That’s what Sooyeon always tells him. That he doesn’t need a Jaekyung in his life but someone who’s willing to love him as much as he loves her.

They basically learned so much by being together. Sooyeon realized what her worth is and she realized Donghae was right. For someone like her, she doesn’t deserve what she’s getting from Minho. If he can’t make her his only one then it would be better if he has no one. Everything hit her so hard ─ all the realizations hit her hard like a wrecking ball. She knows she’s getting what she wants. She knows she’s almost there. Not yet there but almost and she’s going to make it there.

Silence filled the air as the both of them went silent. Sooyeon was eating the chips while scrolling and browsing on her phone while Donghae does the same. She had asked her why did he go in her suite and he just told her he feels lonely when he’s all alone. Sooyeon found it funny, though. She knew Donghae’s used in living all alone before he met her and it seems like having her around makes him unused in being all alone by himself.

“Do you want to go out for a walk?” Sooyeon suggested.

It seemed like a good idea to his ears that he just nodded and the next thing they both new, they went out for a walk.

“Are you finally okay?” Sooyeon asked him while they’re walking side by side in the shore. The waves were the only thing they could hear aside from the cars that’s passing on the road nearby. There’s nothing visible in the sea but the lights from afar like it was some kind of a polka dot. “I mean, you seemed a lot better for the past few days. Are you finally free?”

He shoved his hands in the pockets of his hoodie and smiled. He apparently does not know how and when but after realizing and thinking he did during their stay in Greece, he thought of things that makes sense. He admitted that he had gone through the worst and a certain day in Paris, while having a coffee with Sooyeon, he suddenly knew how to begin again.

He was finally over it.

“I snap out of it,” he simply answered.

“That’s good to hear,” Sooyeon remarked and chuckled. She feels glad that her friend has finally got through with it and she hoped she’ll get over with hers soon enough. She knows the pain is still there but it doesn’t hurt like how it used to be before.

Sooyeon suddenly felt cold and rubbed her hands. She was hugging herself and she couldn’t help but to blame herself for forgetting to bring her cardigan with her. If she knew that she’s going to feel cold like that, then she could’ve made a mental note to herself to bring her cardigan with her.

Donghae suddenly took and held her hand before placing it inside the pocket of his hoodie. She was astonished by what he did but she just couldn’t deny the fact that she loved the warmth of his hand. Yes, his hand was warm. She liked the feeling of his hand holding hers.

She’s feeling a certain feeling that herself couldn’t understand. She couldn’t help herself but to blush. Sooyeon suddenly felt shy and she doesn’t know why she’s feeling all of those. She doesn’t know why Donghae’s making her heart flutter every time he does something like that.

“I wish you’ll snap out of it too soon,” Donghae replied with a boyish grin on his face.

He looked so cute and that’s all Sooyeon could ever think about.

“I’ll be there,” Sooyeon answered with a satisfied smile. “Soo─”

Sooyeon was cut off by her ringing phone. She fished it out from her pocket and looked at the caller ID. It was an unregistered number but instead of declining the call, she picked it up. Without waiting for her to say hello, the caller spoke just before she could.

“Where on Earth are you and where are you with?!”

For heaven knows how many days or weeks, he finally called.

It was Minho.

And she guessed he’s already aware of what she’s doing in her life without him.


Keep your comments coming! Just send it in the comment box just below and don't be shy, I always like to see your feedbacks every chapter :-) Anyway, I'm sorry if I just summarized the country-hopping trip of D & J - it's really supposed to be like that. Classes are starting soon (and I seriously hate that fact) and I was planning to end this story before it starts but right now, I don't know yet. I'm just going with the flow of the story and see where it takes me =))) Well, I hoped you like this one and thanks for having the time to read. Thank you for those who subscribed my story. Lots of love <3

 

I seriously somehow think that this chapter's kinda lame. Was it? I don't know why but I just find it kinda lame but even though it was[??], I hope you liked it. Please understand and bear with me, I'm just a die-hard shipper imagining things. ouo