001

Beautiful Stranger

 

001

Sooyeon found herself walking inside the pub. She doesn’t know what’s going on in her mind why she decided to go to that place but there’s one thing she’s very sure of: she’s going to drink all night until she forget all the pain she’s having just for temporary.

They would always say that drinking can make you numb, can make you forget all the things that are happening to your life. And that’s what she’s up to. She wants to forget the pain in her chest. She wants to forget the hell out of her boyfriend who cheated on her.

The people were right about him. He’s a manwhore and what’s worse is she didn’t even hear those people out who warned her. She was warned and yet she didn’t even listen. She felt so stupid for loving her ex-boyfriend like a fool. She made him her world like everything just revolves around him. She became the perfect and devoted girlfriend to him. Turns out, her boyfriend is doing otherwise.

Earlier that day, she went to her boyfriend’s unit to surprise him. She was planning to prepare breakfast for the both of them. Sooyeon entered the unit and stood dumbfounded when she saw clothes scattered around the floor. She saw a black dress lying on the floor and a five inch heels. Her eyes diverted from the floor to the slightly-opened door of his boyfriend’s room.

She was getting nervous, trying to make herself believe that what she’s thinking isn’t true. She kept on convincing herself that there’s no way her boyfriend’s going to do that to her. Sooyeon held onto the doorknob and opened the door wider.

As far as Sooyeon could remember, she’s planning a surprise breakfast-on-bed for her boyfriend. She couldn’t believe how fast tables could turn. It was a sudden turn-out of events. She gasped upon seeing his boyfriend sleeping with her bestfriend ─ or should she call her ex-bestfriend for sleeping with her boyfriend.

Tears started to fall from her eyes. She felt so weak that her knees seemed unable to support her weight. She fell down on the floor, crying her heart out upon seeing the scene she never expected that she’ll see first thing in the morning.

She didn’t know where she got the strength to stand up. She didn’t bother disturbing the two figures lying in each other’s arms in front of her. She’d gone mad ─ really mad. Her chest was going up and down like she’s running out of oxygen. Anger took over her system and before she could kill someone, she decided to leave the place without forgetting to shot one last glare to the two liars lying on the bed.

 

She found herself driving around the city with nowhere to go. She’s the only one left in Seoul while her family is based in Boston. The only thing that she has with her was her boyfriend ─ now her ex ─ and her now ex-bestfriend, Jisook.

She was crying while driving. Her heart felt like it was stabbed a million times. She felt betrayed. She felt so stupid for not listening to the people who warned her about that manwhore she chose to be with. She listened to her heart and this is where it led her ─ to be broken.

Her heart was like shattered into tiny pieces and she doesn’t know how to pick up the pieces and make it whole again. She knows that it will take time for the wounds to heal. But for now, she still can’t think of ways because she’s way too hurt from what she’d seen earlier. It was as clear as a crystal that they have some kind of relationship behind her back. Without further explanation, what she saw is enough for her to know that her boyfriend has been cheating on her. And it hurts her knowing the fact that letting it all go is the only option she has to take. Sooyeon let herself put her heart at risk and this is what she gets. Letting yourself to love is like the same thing as letting yourself to be hurt.

She loved him ─ there’s no day that she didn’t. Now that she risked her heart and got it broken, she couldn’t see herself risking another mistake again. She doesn’t want to get hurt the second time around. Now she knows how painful it is to be betrayed by someone you really love.

That day was the day she felt her world crashing down as he heart shattered in pieces.

She has nowhere to go.

 

Sooyeon was on her who-knows-how-many shot of vodka. She doesn’t quite understand why she got vodka when she could’ve got something that could really make her drunk in just a few shots. But then, she realized that she never really drinks and she couldn’t quite control her alcohol intake. She requested the bartender if he could get her the strongest alcohol that can really make her drunk.

She doesn’t care anymore. She won’t care and will just let go with the flow. The bartender gave her a questioning look before getting the drink for her. He’s probably asking her if she’s sure about what she’s saying. “Drink moderately, Miss.” The bartender told her after giving her the drink.

Sooyeon rolled her eyes and just took the drink. She doesn’t like the taste at first but she somehow got used to it. Like I’ve said, she never really drinks. Well, maybe she does occasionally.

After having her fifth glass, she felt her world spinning around. She’s getting dizzy and yet she doesn’t care. She told herself that tonight, she’s getting wasted. She’ll drink and drink until she can and party hard.

That was the only way she could ever think of to forget about him, the pain and everything happening in her damned life. She felt like spending her life in the haze until she forgets everything. She got up from her seat and walked towards the dance floor to dance. She walked in a zigzag pattern as she tried to balance herself. She was way too dizzy but she wanted to dance.

While in the middle of going towards the dance floor, she couldn’t quite to take it anymore and was about to fall in the ground when somebody got her before she could even land on the cold hard ground.

She chuckled and soon, laughed.

She can’t clearly see the man’s face for it was too blurry. “Are you okay, Miss?” she heard him ask as she felt his lips brushed to her ear. She felt some tingly feeling inside of her.

“Me?” Sooyeon asked him while chuckling. “O-Of course, me okay! I’m okay! I’m happy with my life!” she answered with a childish grin formed on her lips and gave him a thumbs-up to show him how okay she was.

“Are you sure?” The man was shouting because of the loud music inside the pub. They couldn’t quite hear each other clearly. The man knew how drunk the girl was. He kept on staring at her ever since she walked in the place. His eyes never left her and he doesn’t even know why he couldn’t stop himself looking at the girl who’s drinking like there’s no tomorrow.

She smiled like an idiot and repeatedly nodded her head. She pulled her arm away from the man and made her way to the dance floor, still feeling dizzy as ever.

 

 

In a pub where he always spend his time, the workers in the pub considers him as a regular. He would always go there whenever he wanted. And that night, was one of those nights that he felt going there after having a really bad day.

For someone like him, having a bad day isn’t foreign. It is like his day won’t be complete without something or someone ruins it causing him to consider the day as a bad one. And earlier that day was the worst of all.

He felt bad and stupid and a coward. For the nth time in his twenty five years of life existence, he messed up again. Maybe his father’s right about him ─ that he’s a complete mess, a disgrace. He was the son who never did something right. But for Donghae, it’s no big deal. Sometimes he would wonder why his father ever needed him when there’s his brother. All along, he’s been living behind his brother’s shadow. His brother was like the perfect son that there’s no doubt, he’s his father’s favorite. His brother got it all ─ the love and attention, the success, everything Donghae wished he had. But his life was pretty ironic for those to happen to him. He was the complete opposite of his brother. His father would always call him a failure, a disgrace in the family. He’s the black sheep and in the family he’s into, he’s the bad guy.

What he hated about that day was that it was the dreaded day of his life. That day, he just lost his chance to be with someone he loves. It was her wedding earlier that day and if there’s anything that could be anymore worse is that, she’s marrying his brother. Yes, he was invited but he didn’t show up. He can’t ─ he just can’t. Somehow, he envied his brother. Somehow, he wondered what it feels like to have everything you want just like his brother. Sometimes he would wonder why his brother has everything while he got nothing. And the fact that the only girl he ever loved married his brother sounds like death to him. He can’t have her and there’s no more he could do about it. He thought of ways to get her but there’s no point of doing those when she chose his brother more than him at the first place.

That day was the day he got his heart broken for who knows how many times.

 

He found himself holding a glass of scotch while eyeing that certain girl he saw and helped just a while ago. She told him she was okay but there’s something in her eyes that tells him the other way around. He doesn’t know how and why but he just found himself staring at her while she dances right in the middle of the dance floor. She was seriously drunk and he could just imagine how bad she’ll feel tomorrow because of the hangover.

He chuckled while shaking his head. Somehow, he realized that he looked like an idiot for doing that when he’s all alone. He sighed and took another shot of his drink. He’s kind of feeling weird why he isn’t getting drunk yet. He should be drunk at this moment but no, he’s still sane. He sighed and looked at the girl again.

He was kind of surprised to see the girl dancing with some guy, probably a stranger, who’s already taking advantage of her. The guy’s hand was on her hips while his other hand was on her waist. He could see the guy’s hands started to roam around her body. He could see her pushing the guy away from her but the guy’s just too clingy. He was very close to her and somehow, Donghae knew where that could lead to.

The next thing he knew was, his fist landed on that guy’s face.

 

Sooyeon can’t seem to process everything that just happened. She was too drunk and dizzy to let the things sink in. One second, she was dancing with this guy she doesn’t know and when she felt his hand on his hips and started to roam around her body, obviously taking advantage of her and then the next thing she knew was the guy landed on the floor.

She laughed a bit when she saw him land on the floor. She thought that he deserves that for being such a ert and for taking advantage of her. Just right then, she felt a leather jacket being wrapped around her.

“Let’s get out of here,” a familiar voice said.

She turned to look to see who owns that voice and even though it’s kind of blurry, she could tell that he’s the one who helped her while making her way to the dance floor. She could still remember the shape of his face, hair and that sharp jawline but she couldn’t see his face that clearly. It was all a blur.

“Huh? Wait, I haven’t paid my drinks yet!” Sooyeon still managed to protest.

“I already paid it,” the guy told her. “You owe me something.”

 

Soon enough, the both of them made it out from the pub. Sooyeon still felt dizzy while the both of them were walking towards where the parking lot is. The guy is still dragging her along with him. She doesn’t know why he’s dragging her and either doesn’t know where the hell he’s taking her. She doesn’t care where this guy would take her. He seems safe even if she hasn’t seen his face clearly.

While walking, she couldn’t contain the dizziness she’s feeling anymore that she freed herself from the guy’s grip and walked away to throw up. The guy followed to where she went and saw her throwing up. He shook his head before walking towards her.

He tapped her back repeatedly as she vomited. “Why do you even have to drink so much?” he asked with irritation in his voice.

When she was done doing her business, the guy took her to his car and they drove away from the place.

 

The sound of waves and the rays of sunlight woke Sooyeon up. She opened her eyes and almost got blinded by the morning light that illuminated her skin. The throbbing of her head was the first thing she felt when she woke up. Her head was feeling heavy and there is like someone who is breaking her head, cutting it into halves. Then what happened last night hit her.

She mentally face-palmed and cursed herself for drinking so much. Right now, she realized that she deserves this punishment for giving her a hangover that could probably be the cause of her death. However, drinking somehow helped her forget and sleep without crying and getting hurt. She realized that sleeping would be hard for her for the next several days now that the wounds are still fresh.

She lied back down and let her back rest. She closed her eyes to ease the pain that her hangover’s giving. Her head hurts so much but there’s nothing that can beat to the pain she’s feeling in her heart. She was thinking of going back to sleep but then she remembered the scene she saw yesterday morning. She abruptly opened her eyes and when she saw a cool-looking guy sleeping peacefully on the driver seat with his arms crossed.

Although her head was in pain, she tried to recall what really happened last night and when she did, she already understood. He was the guy who paid her drinks last night and the one who dragged her all along up to here. Sooyeon got surprised when the guy stirred. He was just wearing a simple v-neck shirt and he really seemed to be working out his body. She swore she couldn’t just take her eyes off of his biceps. Her eyes travelled from his biceps to his handsome face. Sooyeon looked at how perfect his nose is ─ like it was carved perfectly by a sculptor. He has thin lips and she did remember him by just seeing his sharp jawline.

But something made her stop from checking the guy out. Why was she suddenly checking a guy out after a break-up? Though it’s not yet officially a break-up, she declares it over now. But that’s not the point. The point is, why is she checking this guy beside her? Yes, she thought that he’s handsome and hot and maybe that’s the reason why. She just can’t understand why.

“Please inform me if you’re done checking me out,” the guy suddenly spoke while a smirk was formed on his face.

Sooyeon flinched upon hearing him speak. She felt embarrassed because all along, he’s awake and he knew that she was checking him out. Sooyeon faced the other side and pretended to know nothing.

“Don’t be such a feeler, mister.”

Donghae just shook his head as he opened his eyes. The smirk didn’t leave on his face until he decided to start the engine and sped his 2015 Audi A6 off.

“Who are you, anyway?” Sooyeon asked, breaking the silence that has been filling up the atmosphere between the two of them. “And where are you taking me?”

Donghae took a deep breath and tightened his grip on the steering wheel. Up until now, he has no idea where on Earth they are off to. He didn’t know why he took the girl with him when all he wanted was to be alone. In fact, he could just drop her off somewhere and let her be. But no, he didn’t. The girl was pretty drunk and letting her wander around the streets in that state is just not right that his conscience might eat him.

The girl beside him really owes him a lot as he thought to himself.

“Do you even have to know my name?” he questioned back.

“You don’t answer me with a question, whoever you are! Where are you taking me? Why am I even with you?”

He abruptly halted the car.

He let all his irritations out in a deep sigh and finally looked at her as his eyes darkened. “Why don’t you try to ask yourself why are you with me? Try remembering what happened last night. Maybe, if it wasn’t for me, you’ve been by now by that you’re dancing with last night.”

Sooyeon had gone speechless. Suddenly flashes of what really happened last night came back to her like a flashflood. He was the man who has a sharp jawline who also helped her from the erted guy she’s dancing with. Sooyeon felt embarrassed and at the same time, guilty. No wonder his jawline seemed so familiar that it was the first thing she recognized.

“I-I’m sorry, whoever you are.” she apologized in a soft tone while lowering her head.

Donghae, on the other hand, didn’t know why he’s feeling irritated. Probably because the girl beside him kept on asking but aside from that, there’s not much of a reason for him to feel irritation towards her. He can’t even figure out why he took her with him. The only thing that he knows is that he needs to get her out of that place and take her to some place where she could be safe. He doesn’t know who she is and he doesn’t know where she lives. Apparently, she was so drunk last night that he couldn’t talk to her. She was talking nonsense and kept on saying someone’s name over and over again. Maybe that’s the other thing he’s irritated about.

He sighed for the third time while shaking his head and started driving again with nowhere to go.

“Where do you live?” he asked coldly, can’t take his eyes off of the road.

She bit her lip upon hearing his question. She has nowhere to go. Basically, she’s living with her bestfriend in an apartment in Seoul and after what she found out, she can’t live in the same roof with her bestfriend again. By just recalling what she saw yesterday brought all the pain back to her again. People were right about alcohol. It makes you feel numb and careless just for temporary. After all, nothing’s constant.

Donghae got confused and felt weird on her when he noticed her crying silently. He began asking himself if he had said something wrong that hurt her because as far as he’s concerned, he hasn’t. He was driving and he just can’t seem to focus on the road when the girl beside him was crying.

“Yah stranger, are you okay?” he asked with full concern. “If I said something wrong then I’m sorry.”

She shook her head saying there’s nothing wrong. Donghae got more confused. Has she gone insane? His eyes were questioning while staring at the poor girl. His brows were creased and quite not satisfied with her answer. Is she nuts? Who, in their right minds, would cry if there’s nothing wrong unless it’s tears of joy? And in her case, it’s not tears of joy. He just can’t see happiness in her face and then he remembered how drunk she was last night and the person she kept on calling out while she’s having a deep sleep.

“You kept on calling someone’s name last night in your sleep,” Donghae started. Sooyeon was surprised after hearing what the stranger had just said. “What was that again? M-Min… was that Minho?”

Sooyeon felt a sharp pain right through her heart as she heard his name again. She found it hard to prevent the tears from falling.

Even in her sleep, he’s still she could ever think about.

Will she ever get over him?

The answer is she doesn’t know.


author's note:

Now that I am done with Skinny Love, I became quite unsure whether to write a new story or nah since I'll be going to college and it will be busier for me than before. But I found myself writing again and so I think I'll give it a go. =)) This story will be just a short one since I'll be busy when June starts (classes -_-)

Send me your feedbacks about this new story, alright?

So much love <3