Meliorate

Until You,

Chapter 7

MELIORATE

 

I am walking in snail’s pace to homeroom. After what happened last night with Jongin, no… no…, with Kai – I’m not entitled to call him that anymore – I’m really not feeling well, not that I’m sick but it’s more like I’m emotionally unstable as of the moment.

 

“Soo!” Baekhyun called out my name. He ran to me and wrapped his right hand in my neck, being he’s taller and all. “Lonely?”

 

“A little… I guess?”

 

“Lay is asking if you have finished the documents for the Annual Student Talent Showcase,”

 

“Yeah, it’s all done. I saved the file in his computer and he just have to print it. The invites for the school organizations are also done, the only thing left to do is to deliver it but I already ask someone to do that, so I guess it’s a green light.”

 

“You’re really the best Soo!” Baekhyun smiled.

 

“I’m not! I just did what I am obliged to do,” Now, I’m back to being Mr. Responsible, sighing is one of the best things to do right now. I missed the feeling of being free, like when I was with ….  Just don’t mind that.

 

“But….. seriously Soo…. What’s going on between you and Kai?” Baekhyun spoke his mind. First your all ‘how’s the papers’ and now it’s ‘Kyungsoo and Kai’ but I know that he’s been dying to ask me that for the past few days and Jongdae too. “You’ve been really close, in fact, you’re too close,”

 

“We’re nothing. Kai and I… nothing… exists…” I stammered replying to Baekhyun, I am still searching for the right words and I hope what I said were correct.

 

“Now it’s Kai? I thought you were the ‘privileged one’ who can call Kai by his real name?”

 

“Things change Baek,” I smiled.

 

“They don’t Kyung, people change!” Here we go with Baekhyun and his figurative language. Why am I not used to it already? “If you’re ready, I’ll be here to hear you out, how’s that?”

 

“That’s quite a plan,” I beamed.

 

~~~~~

 

The day was quite boring really. Why am I even in school? I don’t know why I keep on listening on things I already know, I should get my of this seat and go somewhere else. I don’t know why I said that? Gosh!

 

After class, I went straight to the Student Council Office and worked on the files for the Showcase. I printed everything and proofread them in case I have errors. Even how smart someone is, nobody is still perfect. Knowing that, I should check if my grammar and the like are acceptable especially because they’re letters that is intended for the administration and sponsors. These are important people, or important because they made us believe they’re important, but in any case, they’re vital in the success of the Showcase so we must present the best to them.

 

“Kyung?”

 

I hummed in response to Jongdae’s query using my name.

 

“Don’t you have tutor sessions today? With Kai?” Jongdae asked.

 

“Nope!” I smiled. “Kai has a new tutor, a junior from Class A,”

 

His eyes popped out of disbelief, “Did he fire you?”

 

“I resigned,” I said with a smile just so he’ll have no more questions.

 

“Resigned?” Baekhyun heard it. If you’re wondering why they’re here, Baekhyun is Vice President of the Student Council and Jongdae is our Treasurer. We’re a tag-team! If one is in a club, then the others must follow. Yehey Life!

 

“Yeah!” I continued my proofreading. “I am busy and all! The pressure is building up and I don’t think being someone’s tutor is helping,” I explained. Just don’t ask guys, I really hate lying to you two.

 

“Kyungsoo can you tell us why?” Jongdae said. I guess they did not believe my petty excuse.

 

“I told you I am busy even Principal Suho agreed with me being busy and besides his grades are rising, he can live on his own now,”

 

“Soo!” Baekhyun and Jongdae are in chorus.

 

Fortunately, they were cut off because someone entered the office. “Kyungsoo-hyung, I’m done delivering the invites for the other clubs except for ……,”

 

“Except the Dance Club I bet,” Baekhyun smiled with the hint of teasing. At last his attention is diverted to another thing. I am really in relief!

 

“Huh? Huh? ……. Yeah!” The poor kid just bowed his head in embarrassment. How rude of me, I still did not introduce him to you. He’s Jeon Jungkook, the representative of the freshmen in the Student Council.

 

“Why did you not deliver the invite for the Dance Company?” I asked him and I noticed him blush.

 

“Remember that punk that looks like me?” Baekhyun teased.

 

“Nope! I did not even know that someone looks like you,”

 

“You were busy with tutoring Kai that you missed certain events around here!” Jongdae said and that is quite true.

 

“Our Jungkook has a crush on him and how did I know that? Well, when that punk came here a week ago to check some papers, I saw how tensed Jungkook was and he’s all red! You should’ve seen him like a cherry ball Soo!” Baekhyun continued.

 

“Quit teasing him Baekhyun, should I tell him about your dir…ty… lit..tle s….. ……” I struggled speaking all because his hands were covering my mouth. “O…kay… I will..not.. .con…tinue…..,” thankfully he removed  his dirty hands when I told him to. “Yuck! It’s all salty!”

 

“That’s what you get for attempting to spill out the beans,”

 

“The point is – stop teasing Jungkook! Act your age!” I said. “Give me the invite Jungkook. I’ll just deliver this myself!” I reached my arm to receive the invitation.

 

“Thank you Kyungsoo-hyung! I’ll leave now!” Jungkook said and immediately left, I bet he’s so embarrassed.

 

~~~~~

 

“Kyungsoo!” A voice yelled as I am walking to the Dance Studio. I turned back and saw Chanyeol running to me.

 

“Chanyeol, it’s good to see you!” I smiled at him.

 

“Where you off to?” he asked with his genuine deep voice.

 

“To your studio!” I replied.

 

“Ahh!! Terpsichore’s Lair?”

 

“What? Terpsi-what lair?”

 

“Terpsichore!?You’re the smart guy, you should know who’s that,”

 

“You mean the Muse? Terpsichore. The Muse of Dancing. Daughter Zeus and Mnemosyne. Wow! You thought to use that? But hang on, why didn’t I know that you named the studio, it’s not in any official documents?” They really used that name. A mythological figure, I’m really impressed.

 

“It’s only for the members, Kai chose that name,” he said then my mood just became gloomy immediately by hearing that name. “Oh! Why are you heartrending all of a sudden?”

 

“Huh? Oh! No… I’m…. fine,”

 

“Sorry about mentioning him, I mean his name,” Chanyeol said.

 

“Name?”

 

“Kai…. No need to deny, I know what’s going on between you. Kai is not that difficult to read,” Chanyeol smiled. “Just smile! I like it when you smile,”

 

I droned as a reply and he accompanied me to Terpsichore’s Lair. I really liked that name! Ha! Ha! Ha!

 

“We have a visitor guys,” Chanyeol declared upon our arrival. “Kyungsoo paid us a visit,” I bowed upon arrival.

 

“What brought you here Kyungsoo-hyung? Kai isn’t here,” Sehun said.

 

“I just want to speak with your Club President,”

 

“I told you Kai is not here,” Sehun smiled.

 

“He’s the president?”

 

“Why do look so surprised hyung?” Tao inquired.

 

“Nothing, I just did not expect,”

 

“He’s failing his academics but dancing is Kai’s life, that’s why he’s president!” Chanyeol expounded.

 

“Oh! If he’s not here, then can I talk to your Vice or any officer in that matter then?”

 

“V!” Sehun yelled making his voice echo in the whole studio.

 

“Hyung?” A guy stood up from a corner.

 

“The Council Secretary is looking for you,”

 

The guy named V came to me and bowed. “Hi! I’m V, what is it that you need?”

 

I was utterly astonished. “Looks like you noticed!” Chanyeol said taking note of my surprised look. “He’s a look-a-like of a senior, what’s his name again V?”

 

“Baekhyun-sunbae,”

 

“He’s a friend,” so this is the one Jungkook is head over heels for. Ha! Ha! Ha! “But, let’s get down to business. Here’s the invite for the Annual Talent Showcase, a freshman was supposed to deliver this to your club but for some reasons he can’t, so I took the liberty to get this to your club.”

 

“The freshman representative?” V queried. I guess he knows about Jungkook. He knows you Jungkook, that’s a point for you.

 

“Yes, he’s Jungkook,” I replied with the name to check V’s reaction.

 

He just smiled a little. “About the showcase, it’s in two weeks. Any talent will do but in your case, since this is the Dance Club, dancing would be your forte, I guess?”

 

“Yeah, Kyungsoo-sunbae,”

 

“Anyways, if you have decided to join and I hope you will, just come by the office and fill out some papers okay?”

 

“Yes sunbae!”

 

“Any questions?” I asked him.

 

“None!” he smiled and paced to pin the letter in their bulletin board.

 

“I guess I’ll take my leave then, thanks!” I smiled at Sehun, Tao and Chanyeol.

 

“Bye Kyungsoo-hyung,” Tao waved his hand happily. He’s like a baby with a body of a teenager, he’s such an angel!

 

I was about to leave when Chanyeol called me. That’s already twice today Yeol. “Are you free?”

 

“Yeah! I’m quite free. Why?”

 

“I was thinking… if you want to grab some ice cream, the weather’s really hot today,” he elicited a proposal.

 

“I guess that’s a good idea, the weather really is hot,” I replied and I saw him smile. We were about to leave when I was halted again This time it’s not anyone calling me, but someone just entered the studio and your guesses are all correct, it’s Kai. One hundred points for you!

 

“Hyung?” Kai said as he saw me. I am near the door and he just arrived. Perfect! I am doomed!

 

“Kai,” his mood became fouler when he heard my reply.

 

“I already said drop the Kai,” he frowned.

 

“Nah! I should call you Kai, I don’t want to feel too important, anyways, we were just leaving,”

 

“We?”

 

“I’m grabbing a bite with Chanyeol,” I saw how he stared at Chanyeol. “Anyways, it was nice seeing you today, I guess we should leave. Chanyeol?”

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol replied and then we left. I felt my heart explode when I saw him but when my mind reminded this stupid heart of mine that Kai and Kyungsoo is over, it just became soggy, but nonetheless, I should not show that now that I have company.

 

“So where will we have our ice cream?” I asked.

 

“There’s a newly opened Ice Cream parlor a few blocks away from the school, I guess we should try it out,”

 

I left a smile to signal my agreement. I am really looking forward for the ice cream, in fact, I’m drooling already! Ha! Ha! Ha!

 

“That’s more like it, your smile lights up everything,” Chanyeol praised me. Honestly Yeol? You think so?

 

“Thanks!” I showed appreciation. We chat along the way the ice cream shop, I thought it’s far but actually it’s just took us five minutes of walking. He’s really caring and his tall physique is quite assuring that he can protect whoever he is dating. Your girlfriend will be very lucky to have a boyfriend like you Yeol!

 

He pulled a chair for me when we arrived. What’s with me? Guys are pulling out a chair for me like I’m a damsel. “Thanks!”

 

He grinned. “So what are you getting?”

 

“Chocolate would be nice!”

 

“Chocolate it is!”

 

“What about you?”

 

“I’ll take the same,”

 

I just smiled again and then he stood up and went to the counter and ordered. After a few minutes he came back with our ice creams. I motioned to get money from my wallet but he said that he’s the one who’ll pay for this. “I’ll make sure I can treat one of these days, thanks.” While we enjoy our ice cream, we had casual talks mostly about our childhood, first crushes and the like.

 

He told me that his first love was a girl named Dara. She was on her sixth grade and Chanyeol on his fourth grade. He tried to court Dara, only find out Dara is dating another guy, that was his first love and at the same time his first heartbreak.

 

I wanted to share things about love to Chanyeol but to be frank, I do not have a love story to share to him – I know you think about my story with Kai, but I don’t know if it’s love because in the first place I don’t know what is love. I really felt guilty for not having shared something to him while he divulged a part of him to me. I owe you one Chanyeol.

 

The time we finished our ice creams I told Chanyeol that I’ll be heading back to our school. Lay will kill me; we have a meeting by 6 pm and its 5:50 already. I’m the secretary and I’m in charge in taking down the minutes, a very important job!

 

Chanyeol was super kind to walk me to the office. He said that if Lay would be mad because of my tardiness, he will take responsibility. Thank you Chanyeol! Thank you! I owe you three favors now!

 

“Who was that?” Jongdae asked me as I arrived in the office.

 

“Oh! That’s Park Chanyeol,”

 

“So how come you’re with him? As far as I know, your friends are only me, Baekhyun and Kai,”

 

“He’s one of Kai’s friends; I met him not long ago. We grabbed some ice cream, that’s it,” I explained.

 

“You’ve been a bad boy magnet lately Mr. Secretary,” Jongdae teased.

 

“A what? Fall off a cliff Jongdae!” What is he implying? Is he thinking that we’re dating? Chanyeol and me? That’s crazy Jongdae.

 

~~~~~

 

I was really busy these past few days you know, with preparation and stuff for the Showcase. I’m starting to really feel the exhaustion. All the paperwork and all correspondence is a job I am tasked. This is super tiring!

 

“Kyungsoo here’s another gift from Chanyeol,” Lay said.

 

“Oh!” After we had that unplanned hangout in the ice cream parlor, Chanyeol has been sending food for me every afternoon, and it is really delicious.

 

“It’s chocolate cookies this time,” Lay stated.

 

“This is the third straight day he’s sent you something Kyung,” Baekhyun’s tone was with a pinch of doubt. “Yesterday he sent puddings and now cookies, don’t mention that he sent cupcakes the other day,”

 

“He is really nice,” I smiled at Baekhyun but his face has this look of implying something.

 

“Kyungsoo! Snap out of your naivety in love!” Jongdae said.

 

“He’s wooing you!” Baekhyun yelled and his voice is heard all over the conference room of the Council Office.

 

“What? You’re all ill! Clean your minds guys!”

 

“No, shatter that inexperienced heart of yours! He’s trying to win you over,”

 

“He’s not, he’s just very…. friendly…. I guess.” Seriously, Chanyeol’s courting me? That’s absurd, yes, he’s nice and all but he’s definitely straight! No way!

 

~~~~~

 

A day after my friends told me that Chanyeol is trying to woo me, I planned to frankly ask him if that’s the case but it’s hard. What if he’s not courting me, I’d risk our blooming friendship. However, what if he is indeed trying to win me? I need to know, I need to tell him as early as now to stop, I can’t! After Jongin, crash, after Kai, I’m still confused. I can’t entertain his intentions if he has one.

 

“Chanyeol?” I asked him. We were in the school’s park sitting in one of benches under the shade of a really old tree. If you’re wondering how we got here, simple, we met at lunch and I asked him if we can talk a little after class and he gladly said yes. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Yes, go ahead,”

 

“How do you know that someone is courting someone?” I asked him, somewhat misleading him from my true motives but still that way I can get answers.

 

“Well,” he paused for a second. “Usually the guy would do things for the one he is courting,”

 

“Things like?” I asked when he paused.

 

“Like sending flowers or chocolates, or send gifts like food or things,” Chanyeol answered. “Why did you bring that up?”

 

“Well…………….. A friend of my friend asked that but I don’t know how to answer it,” This is superiorly cliché.  “There is someone who is sending the friend of my friend food and those close to that friend of my friend teased the friend of my friend, they all told the friend of my friend that the one sending food is courting the friend of my friend but the friend of my friend doesn’t want to believe and that friend of my friend is really confused,” I caught my breath literally after I narrated that.

 

“Does this friend of you friend the secretary of the Student Council?” I blushed. He caught me! I am really red, guys help!

 

“Yes,” I whispered embarrassingly.

 

“That’s quite a problem, but what if the one sending him food really is trying to woo him would he be mad?”

 

“No, I guess,”

 

“What if the one sending him food really is courting him, what would he do?”

 

My eyes popped out, they’re already big but they’re 100 times larger now hearing Chanyeol’s words. “So you’re really courting me?”

 

“Can’t I?”

 

I was silenced by his question, can’t he? Can’t he court me? I don’t know!

 

“I know about you and Kai and I know you’re still into him but I can wait Kyungsoo, I can!” Chanyeol’s smiley face now became serious. “I like you Kyungsoo but I’m not asking you to like me back, all I ask is a chance. A chance so that I can show you beautiful things, a chance to help you move on, a chance is all I ask,”

 

“But Chanyeol, I can’t promise that I’ll get over Kai soon or ever?”

 

“If that’s the case, then I will stop but I’ll still remain as your friend. All I ask is a chance. Let me help you heal! Let me be the one who’ll protect you! Let me be the one to bring the smile back to your face.”

 

“But what if I’ll just hurt you in the end? I can’t bear the guilt.”

 

“As I have said, this is the risk I am willing to take, if you can’t like me back then I’ll stop. I will still remain as your friend. Just give me a chance?”

 

I thought of things, will I give him the chance he asked for. He looks sincere and I wouldn’t want to break that sincerity. “I guess, I can give you a chance. But I can’t promise anything Chanyeol,” I warned him so that he’ll be informed of the gravity of his risk.

 

“Just until the Showcase, if you can’t like me back by then, I guess, we’re off as friends,” Chanyeol smiled. “A chance is all I need...........and thanks!” he kissed me in my left cheek and I don’t know but I felt my heart lighten.

 

After our little talk in the park, he walked me home being it’s just walking distance. I thought about the chance he asked. I can’t really promise that my heart will lean towards him but I wouldn’t be greedy. For now I should focus on how to heal my heart and how to be better again and this time someone is here to help me heal, amend my wounds and meliorate my broken heart.