Chapter 10

So I Meet Chanyeol...

About an hour later, Chanyeol approached a door to a small apartment holding a small piece of paper. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before walking up to the door and knocking on it.

 

A quieter voice responded from the other side. “Who is it?”

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat. “…it’s me.”

 

Some shuffling was heard from inside the apartment and then the door opened. Dongwoo stood at the door with a raised broom in his hands. “Haven’t you caused enough trouble already? Go away.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he backed away a couple steps. “W-wait—“

 

“How did you even find me?”

 

“Uh…uh…that’s not the point!” Chanyeol took a step forward with raised hands. “Please listen to me for just a minute and then you can beat me up as long as you want! But let me explain myself! Please!”

 

Dongwoo was quiet for a moment. “…you have thirty seconds.”

 

Chanyeol took in a small breath and spoke very fast. “It wasn’t Jill’s fault at all! It was all me! She was being so nice to me and I thought she was really meant for me! I didn’t even think about how it would affect you! She tried to push me away multiple times telling me she was married and everything! Please don’t be mad at her!” He raised his arms over his eyes, prepared to get hit.

 

Dongwoo stared him down quietly, then slowly lowered the broom. “I see.”

 

Chanyeol peaked at him through his fingers. “…You aren’t going to hit me?”

 

Dongwoo narrowed his eyes and whacked Chanyeol on top of his head with the brush part of the broom. Chanyeol cried out in pain and fell to his knees, clutching his head tenderly.

 

“Don’t be too fast to assume things. I can’t believe you would do throw yourself onto someone who continuously tell you not to! Isn’t the main part of loving a girl respecting what she says?” Dongwoo exclaimed.

 

Chanyeol slowly lowered his head. “…Yes…it is…you’re right..”

 

Dongwoo scoffed. “You’re unbelievable.”

 

“Please listen! I know I’ve got a lot to learn on this planet and I screwed up big time with you and her. But she’s miserable without you! I know. I saw the look on her face after you wrote her that letter.”

 

“…Really?”

 

“Yeah, she really does care about you! I don’t want you to get the wrong idea about last night!”

 

Dongwoo was silent for several long seconds.

 

“If you’re gonna hate someone, then you can hate me. I’ll go away and you’ll never see me again, but please don’t hate her. The thought of you never coming back makes her look so devastated!”

 

“…okay.” Donwoo slowly nodded.

 

“You believe me, right?” Chanyeol stood back up but kept his hands on his head.

 

Dongwoo put down the broom, closed the door to the apartment, and walked past Chanyeol without looking at him. Chanyeol watched him go wordlessly.