Chapter 1

So I Meet Chanyeol...

Four people sat around a medium-sized wooden dining table in a well-lit kitchen. Jill and Dongwoo, married and sitting next to each other, their non-blood related son Gongchan sitting on Jill’s left side, and Chanyeol, a tall young man with dark orange-red hair sitting across from them, carefully channeling long strands of ramyun noodles into his mouth. He was eating like it was his second or third time using chopsticks. Everyone else is eating as well and there is a bit of an awkward silence.


“… so where are you from again?”

 

Gongchan looked at Chanyeol.

 

“Oh, uh… I don't remember...”
 

Gongchan raised his eyes. “네?”


“I have superpowers though!”


Dongwoo shot Jill a surprised glance. She looked back at him as to say, “I didn’t know that.”


“What’s that?” Gongchan asked.


“I can create and control fire.”


Gongchan was quiet for a second, then nodded and went back to eating. Dongwoo glanced at Gongchan strangely, noticing how calm he was being.

 

“It is! Unfortunately, I can't control it well...”

 

Chanyeol rubbed his head a little.


“Oh, maybe with some practice, you could.” Gongchan replied.


“Probably, yeah.”


Dongwoo suddenly cleared his throat and stood up.

 

“Jill, can I talk to you for a moment?”


Jill stood up as well and quietly left the kitchen.

 

Gongchan looked at Chanyeol again.


“Hey, could I help in some way?”


“진짜? That would be great, thanks!”

 

Chanyeol’s face rose in a bright smile..


“Cool! I’ll think of ways I can help…”

 

Gongchan played with the noodles in his dish, staring down at them deep in thought.

 

 


“Okay, I know this is a little weird—“


“Weird? Jill, it’s kind of scary.”


“I know, I know, but—“

 

“How do you know he's telling the truth? Or sane?”

 

“Uh...he kinda showed me... nothing happened, I'm fine, don't worry! He just formed a ball of fire in his hand, but it sputtered and exploded a little.”

 

Dongwoo stared at her with a half-open mouth.

 

“...... he did what?”

 

“I swear that happened! I would never lie to you, you know that. Look, I know this is too out there to be processed easily, but I think we should just look after him for a while. Just to make sure he doesn't hurt himself, okay?”

 

“I think the thing we should be worried about is that we have a guy who can control fire in the house! More importantly a house made of wood! I mean, is there really a true reason for him to be here?”

 

Jill sighed. “No... but we can't just throw him out on the street! Plus he's having some memory issues!”

 

“Then send him to a hospital or something, they can finger print him and find out who he is.”

 

Dongwoo was clearly not comfortable with the thought of an alien in the house.

 

“You act like he's gonna hurt us or something. Dongwoo, he's not going to hurt us. I just have this feeling. You're just gonna have to trust me on this, ok?”

 

Dongwoo was silent for a moment, then sighed.

 

“Fine... but we can’t keep him here forever.”

 

Jill nodded. “I understand that. It won't be forever. Just until his whole memory back and his power is under control.”

 

“…Ok. I’m gonna go get some water.”

 

Dongwoo rubbed his forehead with his palm and turned toward the door to the kitchen.

 

Jill rubbed his shoulder as they started walking.


“Don’t worry, everything’s gonna be fine.”