Back

Summer of Affliction
Please log in to read the full chapter

6

—Jieun—

    I woke up the next morning bright and early, the sun pouring into my hospital bedroom. My mood was pleasant since I would finally be leaving this place. I hated hospitals. The mere smell of them made me anxious. They reminded me of the sick and the dying. They reminded me that sometimes these walls were the last thing a person sees before they’re gone forever. Just then, I noticed a pink duffel bag at the end of my bed. The bag didn’t look familiar, but that didn’t stop me from ping it to see what was inside. A strong scent filled my nose and I immediately knew that the contents of the bag were mine. I guess what they say about the sense of smell bringing back strongest memories is true. I pulled a pair of black leggings, a blush-pink sweater, underwear, and a pair of flats out of the bag. None of these clothes were familiar to me but I still somehow knew that they belonged to me. I was just about to get up and change out of my hospital gown when there was a knock at the door.

    “Oh, good. You’re awake.” Dr. Yarbrough said. “I was just about to wake you up and tell you that Miyoung brought you some clothes, but I guess you already figured that out.”

    “Yeah, thank you.” I said with a smile.

    “Well, I’ll leave you to get dressed.” He shut the door, and I immediately stripped myself of the ugly off-white gown. I put on the outfit that Miyoung picked out for me, and was glad to see that she had pretty good taste. I picked up the duffel bag that was now much lighter, and walked out of my room. Hopefully I would never have to go back in there. Dr. Yarbrough was waiting for me out in the hallway.

    “Alright, Jieun, just follow me and you’ll be out of here in no time.” He led me to the front desk and handed me a clipboard and a pen. “Wherever you see an X, thats where you sign.” I nodded and signed next to all the x’s, although I couldn’t remember what my signature was. I handed the clipboard and pen to Dr. Yarbrough.

    “Is that it?” I asked.

    “Yes that’s it. You may go now, Jieun.” He answered.

    “Okay. Thank you so much.” I said. I felt obligated to give the man who saved my life a hug, so I did.

    “You’re welcome.” Dr. Yarbrough laughed. Then I walked out the hospital doors while waving him goodbye. I walked for a while around the parking lot before I realized I didn’t remember what my car looked like- or even if it was here. I groaned in frustration.

    “Memory lo

Please log in to read the full chapter