A Melody from the Heart

Teach Me How to Love

Myungsoo woke up and came face-to-face with Sungjong. He almost jumped back from shock at their proximity. As last night's events flooded his mind, Myungsoo smiled, his thumb across Sungjong’s cheek. The cyborg was obviously exhausted, seeing that he’s still asleep. Myungsoo carefully sat up on the bed. He reached for his jacket that was draped across the back of the chair and laid it Sungjong’s shoulders. He ruffled the boy’s hair one last time before he left the hospital room to get some fresh air.

 

Myungsoo greeted the other patients who were also up for a walk. He reached the botanical garden on the other side of the hospital. The garden had all types of flowers one could imagine. Orchids, perennials, peonies, roses. Some patients frequented the garden to admire the wonderful sight and smell it provided.

 

Myungsoo sat down on an empty bench. He inhaled deeply, closing his eyes to enjoy the flowery scent around him, then exhaled through his mouth. His thoughts drifted to his conversation with the doctor.

 

Myungsoo-shi. The cancer cells have already reached 75% of your brain. That is why you have more frequent nosebleeds and vomitting. Have you had severe headaches recently?”

“I did. But I’ve been taking the painkillers you gave me.”

“You realize that it’s best for you to check yourself into the hospital, yes?”

“And wait for my death? Do you think I will really do that? Do you think anybody will do that?”

“Myungsoo-shi…”

“Weren’t you the one who told me to enjoy my life to its fullest? I’m going to do exactly what you said. If I die, I want to die at home, where my friends and family are.”

“But-“

“That is my decision. And please do not tell this to anybody else.”

 

Myungsoo knew he was being unfair to Sungyeol and Sungjong. He didn’t really want to die in front of them. If it would lessen the pain, he was willing to disappear but he absolutely refused to give up now. Not when he finally found someone he truly loved.

 

 

Myungsoo heard a commotion coming from the hospital room. He saw a frazzled Sungjong pacing back and forth as a nurse tried to calm him down.

“Sir, please calm down. I’m sure the patient just stepped out to get some fresh air.”

“Calm down? Calm down?! How can I calm down! Myungsoo is sick! He shouldn’t be walking around! He’s-“ Sungjong saw Myungsoo standing by the doorway with a nervous smile on his face. He rushed towards him and hugged him tight.

“Where did you go?!”

“Sorry, Jong. I was just taking a walk outside. I didn’t mean to worry you.”

“You should’ve woken me up. I would’ve gone with you.”

“I’m sorry. Don’t worry, I’m fine.” Myungsoo pecked Sungjong’s forehead. Sungjong laid his head on Myungsoo’s shoulder, smiling brightly.

“Am I interrupting something?” They turned their heads at the same time to see Sungyeol with his arms crossed, cocking an eyebrow at them.

 

 

--

 

 

“Two kimchi jjiggaes and one budae jjiggae. Enjoy your meal.”

 

Sungyeol slapped his hand over his forehead. “Seriously, guys. You got to eat something else. Any more kimchi jjiggae and you’ll turn into one soon.” Myungsoo smacked his friend at the back of his head. “Shut up. I eat what I want.”

 

Sungjong smiled brightly at their bickering. Myungsoo told him a lot about Sungyeol but he never actually met the guy. Now that he did, Sungjong felt a sense of relief. He felt that knowing Myungsoo’s bestfriend brought him one step closer to understanding him. And Sungyeol seemed like a nice guy.

 

He was still smiling like an idiot to himself when he felt a warm hand on top of his. Sungjong couldn’t believe it. Myungsoo was actually holding his hand. In front of Sungyeol. In front of everyone.

 

Sungyeol glanced at their hands then back and forth between the two of them. Sungjong looked down, far too embarrassed to look at anyone in the eye. He was about to pull his hand away but Myungsoo tightened his grip and interlocked their fingers. Myungsoo didn’t even flinch at Sungyeol’s stare.

“If you have something to say, then say it.”

“Oh nothing. Don’t mind me. I’m just the annoying third wheel getting in you lovebirds’ way. Maybe I should move to another table.” Sungyeol mocked, earning another smack on the head.

 

Sungjong felt some unknown emotion stirring up inside. He couldn’t exactly pinpoint what it was. It was uncomfortable but not in a bad way.

 

Sungyeol grimaced, rubbing the back of his head. “Anyway, is it really ok for you to get out of the hospital so soon?”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, “For the thousandth time. I’m fine! Do I look like a sick man to you?”

“No…I’m just worried, you know. Just in case something-“

Myungsoo abruptly stood up, “Once again, I’m fine. I’m going to the bathroom.”

“Should I come with you?” Sungyeol smiled playfully.

“Thanks but I think I am fully capable of peeing by myself.” Myungsoo replied cheekily and sauntered off.

 

“Well, at least it looks like he’s doing ok.” Sungyeol stared at the direction Myungsoo was walking towards. He turned his attention back to Sungjong who was sipping his soup shyly. “Does Myungsoo treat you well?”

Sungjong almost choked at the sudden question, “Y-yes. Yes, he does.”

“Good. He may seem rude at times but he doesn’t really mean it. He’s just bad at expressing himself.”

Sungjong nodded. They continued to eat in silence until Sungjong broke the silence. “Can I ask you a question, Sungyeol?”

“Mhm. What’s up?”

“You told me the other day, when we met each other the first time. You said that Myungsoo loves me, right?”

 

Flashback

 

Sungjong and Sungyeol sat in the waiting area near the reception. They were waiting for Myungsoo who was talking to the doctor. Sungyeol turned towards Sungjong, reaching out his hand towards the boy.

 

“I’m Sungyeol, Myungsoo’s friend. Sorry we didn’t have a proper greeting.”

Sungjong shook his head, taking the warm hand in his. “I understand. I’m Sungjong. I’m so glad you answered my call.”

“It’s a good thing you called me or he would’ve been in trouble.”

“I’m so happy to finally meet you. Myungsoo told me a lot about you.”

Sungyeol laughed, “He did? I hope he didn’t say anything embarrassing.”

Sungjong shook both of his hands in front of him, “Oh no, don’t worry. He just told me you were the first friend he met in the orphanage.”

“Yeah…he was my first friend too.” Sungjong’s silver eyes peered curiously into Sungyeol’s brown orbs. “How did you two meet, if you don’t mind me asking.”

Sungyeol leaned his head back. He closed his eyes as if he was replaying his childhood memories in his head. “My parents…they always thought I was a burden to them. They left me behind many times but I would always find my way back home. I clung onto them. Stubbornly. Then one day, I came back home from school and my house was empty. I couldn’t find them this time, not anymore, so I was sent to the orphanage.” Sungjong placed his hand on top of Sungyeol, his eyes sympathetic.

“I kept thinking they would come and take me back home. I just…refused to accept reality so much that I rejected the other kids who tried to befriend me. It was Myungsoo that beat some sense into me. You know what that guy said to me? That jerk, he told me “Stop being such a coward. If they threw you away, then show them! Show them you don’t need them either! Show them you can live well without them!” Hah. Well that was a blow for a 10 year old kid, don’t you think? But that’s Myungsoo. He, who was also left behind, reached out to me.”

Sungjong smiled. He somehow had this feeling of pride. That the guy he was living with was this warm-hearted person that took him in. That this guy was so strong even though he been through so much.

Sungyeol patted Sungjong roughly on the back, “Myungsoo really loves you. He deserves someone nice to love him back. I can see you’re a nice guy, too. But if you hurt my buddy, I swear I’ll come after you!”

 

-end flashback-

 

“Yes, I did say that.” The tall friend recalled.

“I know. I still have many things I don’t know but I’m learning! I’m trying my best to learn everything. But I just don’t understand.. how…how do I know when I’m in love?”

Sungyeol tapped his chin, trying to think of the right words to say. “I guess, when you’re in love, you keep thinking about that person. You think about what he’s doing, where he is. You worry about him constantly. Your head is just full of thoughts of him. Well, that’s the psychological part but if you want to know the science of it, the most obvious hint is when your heart pounds really fast.”

 

 

--

 

 

When my heart pounds really fast, then I’m in love. But how is this possible? I don’t even have a heart. Just this hard piece of metal.

Everything suddenly became so hopeless to him. Sungjong was so happy during the day when he found out that Myungsoo was finally taking the initiative to start a relationship with him. That Myungsoo was actually in love with him. That he can have someone to love, like Howon and Dongwoo, the couple he was always jealous of. But now that he knew what it actually meant to be in love, it felt like the whole world came crashing down on him. He knew now, that he would never truly be able to fall in love with someone.

 

He sat at the edge of the fountain, holding his head in his hands. Apart from reflecting on his troubled thoughts, he was waiting for Myungsoo who told him to meet him there. That he got a surprise for him. While wondering about what Myungsoo planned to do, he suddenly, heard music coming out of the fountain. He stood up in shock and quickly turned around to see what was happening behind him.

 

The water shot up, creating swirls of different colors caused by the lights that surrounded the fountain. Green, red, blue, yellow. Strings of water moved together. Up, down. Left, right. Side by side. Overlapping. It was a water dance under a rainbow. Then, he saw what appeared to be words in between each time gap when the water shot up and dropped back down.

 

T.U.R.N. A.R.O.U.N.D.

 

Still confused, Sungjong followed the instructions and saw Myungsoo standing right behind him. He was holding a single rose in his hand. Sungjong was frozen in shock. He had never experienced something like this before. As usual, he had seen scenes like this before in dramas but having this happen in real life felt completely different. And to him of all people!

 

Myungsoo walked closer and closer towards Sungjong. He grabbed Sungjong’s trembling hands, rubbing them briefly then he passed the rose to Sungjong.

Taking a deep breath, he slowly started, “I know….I know this is very late. I-I love you Sungjong. Will you..um..be..w-what I mean is…”Myungsoo stuttered.

 

To be honest, this wasn't the first time that Myungsoo planned a romantic event and gave roses to his partners but this was certainly his first time confessing his most genuine feelings towards his love. And this has got to be the worst confession ever. What are you saying, idiot Myungsoo beated himself mentally. But his worries dissipated when Sungjong flew into Myungsoo’s arms. Kissing his face and whispered into his ears, “If you meant, be the love of your life, then yes, idiot.”

 

Myungsoo lifted Sungjong up and twirled him around. But somehow he lost his footing and they both tumbled backward into the fountain. Myungsoo’s cheeks reddened in embarrassment while Sungjong laughed loudly at their wet clothes and flat hair that stuck to their faces. Myungsoo stood up, holding out his hand to pull Sungjong out of the fountain. Sungjong, with a mischivous glint in his eyes, pulled Myungsoo back down into the fountain and ran away. They chased after each other, splashing and kicking water everywhere.

 

Myungsoo caught up to Sungjong. Turning the boy’s body to face his, he brushed the wet bangs away from his eyes. He cupped Sungjong’s cheeks, pulling his face close then lightly brushed his lips against his. Looking deep into Sungjong’s silver orbs, he pressed his lips against Sungjong’s again. This time, he kissed him deep. Time seemed to stop for the two of them as they reveled in the feeling of exploring each other’s mouths and being in each other’s arms.

 

Their lips reluctantly parted. Eyes closed. Foreheads pressed together. When Myungsoo felt their body temperatures start to drop, he stepped out of the fountain. He held his hand out again towards Sungjong, his smile never leaving his face.

 

Sungjong gingerly took it. When he was about to climb out, he felt that unfamiliar sensation again. The feeling he had at the restaurant when Myungsoo held his hand.

 

ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump

 

A distinctive sound reached his ears. All other sounds faded around him. He only heard the endless thumping. Where did it come from? Then he felt an ache, a dull ache. He clutched his chest, against the unfamiliar pounding that continued on and on…

 

ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump…

 

 

 

-------------------author's note----------------------

New chapter! SUNGJONG'S HEART IS AWAKE! *gasp!*
 just to warn you guys, its gonna get more and more intense from here onwards xD 

Hope you guys like my new poster for this fic! It's my first time making one and i'm not really good at tech stuff so the design is not as fancy as the ones made by graphic shops TEEHEE

Please enjoy reading my lovely Myungjong shippers! <33