Epilogue - The Red Thread of Fate

Teach Me How to Love

Before we commence, I just want to say how awesome Infinite was, in their Bad MV!!! Everyone was smoking hot~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.” – Ancient Chinese legend

 

Sungyeol believed in fate.

 

He believed it was fate that he met his wife, Seulbi. It was on a Saturday morning in a coffe shop called Cupid while he was lining up for his usual cup of Americano. He noticed a young woman in front of him. Pale skin, big doe eyes, wavy long hair that emitted a nice scent every time. she flipped her hair behind her shoulders. Her petite frame was covered by the long coat she was wearing. She was, undoubtedly, Sungyeol’s ideal type of women. However, Sungyeol was not the type to confidently approach girls and so, he watched her leave, not expecting to see her again.

 

Exiting the coffee shop, Sungyeol looked up at the dark and dreary sky, his hand outstretched. Soon enough, droplets of rain fell onto his palm. Of all days, you decide not to check the weather today he grumbled to himself. Sungyeol looked through the glass behind him to see no empty seats available in the coffee shop. He would have to stand outside until the rain ends before he could return home.

 

A jingle sounded behind him and the girl who was lining up before him stepped outside. She opened her umbrella, prepared to go out into the rain, when she spotted Sungyeol glancing awkwardly at her.

 

“Would you like to share my umbrella?” she suggested, tilting the umbrella slightly towards the tall man.

 

Sungyeol smiled and nodded. He offered to hold to the umbrella for her and walked her all the way home. With her pink umbrella still in his possession, Sungyeol visited the coffee shop every weekend but was disappointed to have missed her every time.

 

But Sungyeol believed in fate.

 

For it was fate that brought Seulbi to the coffee shop, one day, on another Saturday morning. He returned the umbrella to her but without saying goodbye. He mustered up his courage and invited her to have coffee with him, to which, she gladly accepted. When it was time to leave, they left under the same umbrella again.

 

Once, twice, thrice, Sungyeol and Seulbi bumped into each other in the same coffee shop, each time on a rainy day, until they started meeting regularly, even on sunny days. They became close and unknowingly fell in love. On their 10th year of anniversary, Sungyeol proposed, to which, Seulbi eagerly accepted.

 

Sungyeol thanked fate once again. As it was fate that blessed him and Seulbi with a beautiful son who he loved and pampered.

 

A son he named Lee Myungsoo.



 

--



 

Howon did not believe in fate.

 

He believed he was destined to be with Dongwoo but it was fate that took the love of his life away from him. He was hopeless in despair, convinced that he would never find ‘the one’.

 

His thoughts began to waver when he found the antique store at the end of the alleyway. Howon found hope in restoring his loved one. Unable to leave the past behind, he made up his mind to recreate Jang Dongwoo. He had faith that the skeleton would remain in the closet as long as he kept quiet.

 

Yet, Howon cursed fate again when the truth was discovered. He wallowed in misery, trying to push the memory of Dongwoo’s death at the farthest corner of his mind and that the Dongwoo before him was real, that he never left. But he was reminded of the painful truth every time he looked into those silver eyes. Howon pushed Dongwoo away, finding this to be the only way to cope.

 

Howon found out the hard way that he owed Dongwoo an explanation and apology or else, he would do both Dongwoo and Jang Dongwoo wrong. Getting hold of Dongwoo was difficult, as he expected. The cyborg rejected his phone calls and avoided places that they usually hung out in. It was only when Sungyeol demanded for him and Dongwoo’s help to find Myungsoo that he appeared.

 

When it was time to talk about the past and confess everything, Howon found it easier than he expected. Not only did the cyborg forgive him, he also accepted the fact that he was made according to his past love. They chose to start their relationship anew, albeit being friends for now. Everything was going to be alright he thought but he was wrong.

 

Dongwoo left right after their conversation which made Howon consider whether the cyborg found it hard to accept after all. For months, Howon tried calling him, just like the time when they had their first fight, but Dongwoo disappeared without a trace.

 

Fate decided to mess with Howon one more time.

 

On little Myungsoo’s fifth birthday, Howon, who was rushing to get to the birthday party on time, encountered the cyborg in the least expected way possible. He thought that he had forgotten and moved on since Dongwoo left but he realized how much he had missed the cyborg once he saw his face.

 

“You’re Dongwoo, aren’t you?” Howon inquired, his grip tightening in case the cyborg wanted to run away again. Instead, he was met with surprise.

 

“How do you know my name?”

 

Howon was taken aback by Dongwoo’s reaction. The cyborg answered to his name which meant that this was certainly Dongwoo. However, he appeared to have no recollection of Howon and treated him as a mere stranger.

 

Howon believed that fate led him to Dongwoo for a reason and he’s going to find out why.



 

--



 

Myungsoo read from fairtytales that fate connected lovers back together no matter what circumstances.

 

As he turned the pages of all the Disney classics that his mother read to him before bedtime, Myungsoo wondered if he, too, had his own fated one.

 

“Every prince and princess will find their happily ever after together. You too, Myungsoo, will someday find your princess.”

 

If his mother’s words were true, Myungsoo wanted to meet his princess as soon as possible. Despite being loved dearly by his parents, Myungsoo still felt like something was missing and he needed someone to fill in the void in his heart.

These feelings escalated when Myungsoo began to have a recurring dream of a boy.

 

In his dream, he saw himself, much older than he was now. He found it odd that he could recognize himself instead of thinking it was some stranger in his dream. He was standing in the middle of the grassy field, looking up at the star-filled sky. He was not alone as a boy stood beside him and held his hand. Every time he tried to look at the boy’s face, a mass of fog would surround him, blocking his vision. The only thing Myungsoo could make out through the fog was the boy’s striking silver eyes.

 

Since the dream happened frequently, Myungsoo assumed the boy to be his destined one but decided against it when he stopped having the dream. Time made him forget the boy until seven years later, the dream appeared to him again, clearer this time.

 

Surely, it was fate that enabled him to meet the boy in his dream. It must also be due to fate that he was standing at the entrance of the park at this moment, watching a boy at the swings, swinging alone. Standing far away, Myungsoo was unable to see his face clearly but he found him oddly ressembling the boy in his dreams. Myungsoo’s feet brought him closer to the boy, as if he was in a trance, until they were meters apart.

 

The boy, having heard Myungsoo’s footsteps, turned towards him. His dark hair swished around his forehead, in the wind, covering part of his brown eyes. Although the color of the boy’s eyes did not hold the feature Myungsoo was searching for, he couldn’t shake off the feeling that there was something more to the boy.

 

Myungsoo caught a glimpse of silver; the shimmering strand flashed under the rays of sunlight.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------author's note------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This epilogue is a snippet for the sequel to Teach Me How to Love. The umbrella scene was from High School Love on because I thought that scene was really cute!


This fic was inspired by this picture of Sungjong in Gayo Daejun 2013:

Look how beautiful this boy is! I did not give Jongie pink/red hair in the fic because I wanted the cyborgs to appear more human-like but the picture basically shows us how perfect he looks (E.T.H.E.R.E.A.L.)

On top of this amazing picture, I was further inspired by Vixx's Error MV which was the basis for YaDong's story. 

Thank you all readers for your comments, subscriptions and support! As I said in all my other chapters, you, readers, are my inspiration and motivation! Before I work on the sequel, I will be completing my other fic 'I Left my Heart under the Barren Tree' (shameless promotions xD) so I hope you will support that fic as well!