Side Story Part 2- Howon & Dongwoo

Teach Me How to Love

 

“Smile, Howon!” His mom nudged him at the side. She corrected the angle of his cap and smoothed the wrinkles of his gown. It was his high school graduation. He had been accepted into Seoul National University as a dance major. Even though this was supposed to be the happiest day of his life, he couldn’t bring himself to smile. Not when it’s the day the love of his life is leaving him.

 

While his parents chatted with his relatives, Howon walked away from the scene to have some time to himself. His phone buzzed in his pocket.

 

Dongwoo-Can you meet me real quick? I’ll be waiting under the cherry blossom tree near the school. Please let me see you Howon...

 

Howon debated on whether he should meet Dongwoo or not. He had stopped being mad a long time ago. He just didn’t have the guts to make up with him. This is my chance to ask him to forgive me he decided, walking towards the school gate. His steps quickened at the sight of Dongwoo leaning against the tree. He didn’t realize how much he wanted to see him until he actually saw Dongwoo in front of him.

 

Dongwoo furrowed his brows as he thought of how to apologize to Howon. It wasn’t surprising for Howon to give him the cold shoulder. He should’ve told him sooner but he himself also found it hard to accept that he was going to leave his bestfriend. So he ignored it until he knew he had to tell his friend he was moving. He was afraid that Howon would still be angry at him but he had to see him one last time before he left.

 

He saw Howon running in his direction from far away and felt tears build up in his eyes. Seeing Howon again reminded Dongwoo of how much he actually loved him. At first, he approached Howon out of curiosity. Howon was always alone, sitting by himself at the corner of the classroom, looking out the window. He wanted to know to get to know him, know what kind of person he was, things he liked and maybe they could be friends. And soon enough, he found himself falling in love. But Dongwoo was afraid that Howon would reject him if he confessed so he chose to stay quiet. At least he could stay by his side as his bestfriend even if it meant he had to hide his feelings forever.

 

They were so close now. Only a crosswalk separated them. Dongwoo could barely contain his excitement when he saw Howon that he wanted to get to him as fast as he could. He failed to notice the pedestrian light turn red just as he ran out onto the street.

 

Everything happened so fast that Howon could barely register it. He only remembered seeing Dongwoo running towards him then the next second, he was lying on the ground. He froze from where he stood. His hand that reached forward trembled.  Tears streamed down his cheeks. Struggling to move his legs, he dragged himself towards his friend until he knelt in front of him. Howon remained in a kind of trance. It wasn’t until he felt Dongwoo touch his hand when he gathered the boy into his arms and started sobbing.

 

“D-Dongw-woo…Dongwoo! You can’t die yet, you hear me? I’m going to get help you. You’re going to be ok.”  Howon called the ambulance, trying to tell them to come quickly. To come save his friend. But his sobs only made his words incoherent.

 

Dongwoo couldn’t feel the pain or the blood that poured out of his body. He only felt the tears that dripped down onto his face and the pain in his heart. He wanted to tell Howon how much he loved him, how he wanted to stay here with him and spend his life with him but he could feel his strength leaving his body. His lips trembled, opening and closing, no words leaving his throat. His tears mixed with Howon’s as they slid down his face.

 

With his remaining strength, he reached up weakly to touch Howon’s cheek. Howon took his hand and pressed it against him. “They’re coming. They’re coming to help you. So just hold on for some more. Don’t close your eyes yet. I-I still have so many things to tell you. That’s why you can’t leave yet.”

 

Dongwoo smiled. He was so happy to have met Howon in his lifetime, to have loved this person. He felt thankful that he could see his love one last time before death. Dongwoo was satisfied.

 

“H..Ho..won…I…love…you…”

 

--

 

“Would you like to come in, young man?” the old man asked. He pushed the rim of his glasses up on the ridge of his nose as he studied the boy standing outside his store. From the way he dressed, the old man assumed the boy to be a high school student or college freshman. He couldn’t really tell. Not with these blurry eyes due to old age. He actually noticed the boy looking at the displays of his shop a few times but he never came into the shop. He just stood outside.

 

“What are these?”

“Cyborgs. They look very real don’t they? They act like humans too if you teach them properly.”

The boy appeared to be deep in thought before he asked, “Can we customize our own?”

“Sure. If you have a specific design. I’ll try my best to satisfy your needs”.

“…I have a request.”

 

 

Black hair that covered part of his closed eyes. Tall nose. Smiling lips that slightly protruded. Howon ran his fingers along the cyborg’s face. It ressembled his bestfriend chillingly in every detail even the smallest details like the mole on his body were reproduced.

 

He had given a photo of Dongwoo and written down his habits, his likes, his dislikes, everything he remembered of him for the old man to record onto the memory chip. So the cyborg was made according to the physical traits of the boy in the photo. The master would still have to teach the cyborg certain things but its personality traits will already be built in without the need to acquire them. Even though it was an unreasonable request that took a long time to complete, the old man not only didn’t complain but even offered to do it for free. Howon thought it was strange but didn’t put much thought into it. It didn’t matter as long as he got what he wanted.

 

Howon reached around the cyborg’s left ear and the switch. After a brief whirring sound, the cyborg’s eyes slowly opened.

 

“Hello master, I’m model 901122. Would you like to give me a name?”

“…Dongwoo. Your name is Dongwoo.”

 

 

Howon awakened to the sound of someone humming near him. Looking around his surroundings, he noticed that he fell asleep on the couch while reading. A blanket was draped over his body. The humming caught his attention again. Looking towards the source, he saw the backside of Dongwoo cooking in the kitchen.

 

He had a dream. A very long dream. A dream about someone he wished to forget yet, at the same time, wanted to trap him in his memories forever. Like a cage, preserving him the way Howon remembered him. A feeling of melancholy washed over him. Walking towards the kitchen, he stood behind Dongwoo and wrapped his arms around his waist.

 

Dongwoo jumped slightly from the sudden contact. “Oh! You’re awake?”

“Mm.”

“Wait just a little bit. I’m almost done.” Dongwoo was about to move away when he felt Howon tightening his grip on him.

“What’s this…you’re being clingy today. I’m not going anywhere, you know” Dongwoo said, brushing his hand on Howon’s cheek.

Howon didn’t respond. Instead, he grabbed onto Dongwoo’s hand and pressed it against his cheek, closing his eyes. Dongwoo’s right here…he’s right here with me he thought.

 

As if Jang Dongwoo was still living, breathing, laughing, dancing with him.

As if Jang Dongwoo never left him.

 

 

-----author's note-----

Okay that was done faster than I thought lol. Anyway I separated this into two parts cuz it seemed too long when I put it into one.