Side Story Part 1- Howon & Dongwoo

Teach Me How to Love

The classroom was filled with shouts and laughter of students. It was a new school year and a new stage of life for many. Howon entered a prestigious middle school but he did not feel excited at all. In fact, he felt like running out of there. Howon’s dream was to go to dance school but his mom did not support him. Instead, she pushed him to study. He got accepted into the school that she wished for and now he’s stuck here. Howon absolutely hated it.

 

He spent his first middle school year at the back of the classroom, not talking to anyone. He kept to himself and counted the days until graduation, the day he could leave this dreaded place forever.

 

The second year of middle school, a new face joined their class. The new student came into the classroom with a boisterous laugh and stood at the front.

 

“Hello! I’m Jang Dongwoo. Nice to meet you all!”

 

He took the empty seat next to Howon and smiled brightly at him. Sticking a hand out, he said “I’m Dongwoo. What’s your name?”

 

Howon ignored him, placing his head in his arms on the desk. That did not deter Dongwoo’s efforts to befriend him though. During the next few weeks, Dongwoo continued to talk to him and Howon would ignore him. To be honest, Howon was surprised that Dongwoo was trying to hard because everybody else left him alone after he ignored them.

 

One day, after school, Dongwoo saw Howon looking at a poster that was taped onto a streetlight. It was a poster of a dance performance festival in the neighborhood.

 

“So you like dancing,huh?”

 

Howon turned to see Dongwoo looking over his shoulder. He pushed him roughly aside.

 

“None of your business.”

 

He began walking away when a voice called out,

 

“Let’s join together!”

 

Howon stopped in his tracks. Dongwoo ran up to him and repeated,

 

“Let’s join together, Howon!”

“…I…can’t.”

 

Howon ran as fast as his legs could carry him. He was angry at his parents for not understanding him. But he was more angry at himself for being a coward.

 

--

 

Howon noticed that Dongwoo stopped following him around after school. He didn’t want to admit it but he actually missed having the guy around. He was walking in the hallway towards the staircase when he heard music coming from one of the classrooms. Peeking through the window, Howon saw Dongwoo dancing along to the music. A sheen of sweat lay over his forehead, some dripped down the sides of his face. His body moved so naturally and gracefully that Howon couldn’t take his eyes off him.

 

Dongwoo stopped the music momentarily to catch his breath. He turned his head towards the door when he felt someone watching him. Instinctively, Howon crouched down but not before his eyes met Dongwoo’s for a brief second. Dongwoo ran towards the door and opened it, hoping to find Howon there but he was already gone.

 

Every day after school, Howon would secretly watch Dongwoo dance. He found a hiding spot on a tree near the classroom. I’m totally being a stalker right now he thought. But he couldn’t stop himself from coming back. There was something about Dongwoo that he felt oddly attracted to but he quicky shook the thought away.

 

The sun set, the time when Dongwoo is done practicing. Hearing the music stop, Howon was about to jump down from where he sat when he heard someone call out to him.

 

“Howon!”

Eyes widening in shock, Howon lost his footing and fell from the tree. Luckily, his fall was cushioned by a bush at the bottom. Dongwoo immediately ran out of the classroom to where he was.

 

“Are you ok?! I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Howon grimaced as he felt a bump starting to form at the back of his head. But his head didn’t hurt as much as his pride.

“How did you know I was there?” he asked, not able to look at Dongwoo.

“You’re not that good at hiding. I’ve noticed you there since last week!”

Howon tried his best to keep a straight face but his ears that reddened from embarrassment betrayed him. He was about to walk off to save himself from further embarrassment when a hand reached out before him.

“You know, joining me is much more fun than just watching. The competition is still a month away. It’s not too late to start practicing now. Let’s do this together Howon!”

Howon hesitated, knowing that he wasn’t allowed to dance but he didn’t want to give up this chance. This is what he truly wanted to do. And so Howon firmly grasped Howon’s hand. His eyes blazed with determination.

 

--

 

“5,6,7,8!”

Music blared loudly from Dongwoo’s phone. The classroom heated up from their rigorous dance practice. There were still 3 days until the competition and they have been practicing every day after school. Not wanting his parents to find out, Howon told them he joined a study group. His parents were suspicious but didn’t question him further.

 

Howon wiped his brow, exhaling roughly. He glanced at Dongwoo while they danced. His face and neck glistened with sweat. His head nodded to the rhythm of the song. A bright smile on his face the whole time. That was what Howon loved about Dongwoo when he watched him dance. Dongwoo always looked like he enjoyed dancing rather than treating it like an obligatory practice.

 

He felt he finally found someone who shared the same love for dancing as him.

 

 

It was finally the day of the dance competition. Howon was stretching backstage. He observed the other competitors near him who were decorated with fancy makeup and costumes. Then he looked at his own reflection. Hoodie and sweatpants. Great, no one’s gonna notice me now he thought bitterly. He breathed slowly. In and out. In and out. Starting to feel a little nervous. Then he felt a hand patting his shoulder.

 

“Nervous?”

“Mmhm.” Howon observed Dongwoo’s face. He didn’t look nervous at all. But he looked closely and noticed Dongwoo’s hands trembling slightly. Dongwoo was never the type of person that expressed his worries. Always hiding behind his goofy smile. Without saying anything, he grabbed onto Dongwoo’s hands and squeezed them. They heard the host calling their numbers and took their position behind the curtain. Their hands still linked together, Howon and Dongwoo nodded at each other as they exchanged smiles.

 

“Let’s do this.”

 

--

 

The competition ended with Howon and Dongwoo getting third place. They were disappointed but nothing mattered as much as the fun they had while practicing. Howon’s parents eventually found out their son’s involvement in the competition. They gave him the cold shoulder for a few days, upset at him for keeping it a secret. But Howon’s mom saw the passion he had for dancing and finally agreed to let him dance only if he promised he wouldn’t neglect his schoolwork.

 

Dongwoo who became Howon’s bestfriend and biggest supporter of his dream to start a dance school, hung out with Howon every day. When they got into high school, they were allocated to different classes but Dongwoo continued to visit Howon during breaks, lunch and waited outside his classroom to walk home together. They remained as close friends throughout the 3 years in high school. They were inseparable.

 

Then, one day Dongwoo took Howon to the rooftop, saying he had something to discuss with him.

 

“I’m leaving Korea.”

Howon was mute. His friend. His bestfriend in the whole wide world is leaving him behind.

“Where are you going?”

“The US. My dad was relocated to the company there. He wants all of us to go.” Dongwoo looked at the ground as he spoke, shifting his foot back and forth nervously.

“…When are you leaving?”

“In 2 weeks.” Howon grabbed Dongwoo’s collar and slammed him to the wall. Anger. Hurt. He could hear himself breathing hard.

“Are you ing kidding me? 2 weeks? And you’re telling me this now? What do you want me to say. Thanks for being my friend. Thanks for telling me to fight for my dreams then leaving me here. Is that what you want? Huh?”

“Howon, I’m sorry. I-“ But Howon couldn’t stand facing his friend any longer and shoved him on the ground.

“Some friend you are, Jang Dongwoo” he whispered before heading back down to the classroom, not looking back.

 

 

------------author's note----------

Hello! This explains the backstory of Yadong couple~ part 2 will be up shortly. Enjoy reading! <33