The Day You Stumbled into My Life

Teach Me How to Love

“$200. This should be enough”.

 

Myungsoo tossed the stack of bills onto the bed. He proceeded to put on his shirt when two pale and slender arms slid across his chest.

 

“Why are you in such a hurry? Stay with me a little longer”.

 

The young woman rested her face against Myungsoo’s broad back, inhaling his scent. She, then, walked in front of him and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him towards her until her lips brushed against his. Before she could deepen the kiss, Myungsoo turned away.

 

“Women are never satisfied, huh. I paid for 3 hours. This is over the time I paid for.”

 

He roughly pushed her body away from his. Grabbing his jacket from the chair, he walked towards the door.

 

“You bastard! You’ll regret this. No one will ever love somebody like you!”

 

Myungsoo paused briefly with his hand on the doorknob. His cold eyes stared at the seething woman, watching her tremble with rage. Seeing no point in arguing with such an insignificant person, he merely scoffed at her childish behavior and walked out of the hotel room.

 

I don’t need love.

 

--Flashback—

 

“You’re at the last stage of brain cancer”.

 

It was as if lightning stuck his heart when the doctor gave him the unfortunate news. He had been having severe headaches and nosebleeds during the last few weeks. Disregarding it as fatigue, he did not bother getting a medical check-up until he fainted in his office and a co-worker called the ambulance. The only thought running through his head at the moment was Why? Why me?

 

“How much longer do I have?” Myungsoo whispered. He didn’t dare lift his head. He didn’t want to look at the pitiful glances of the doctor or nurses. He didn’t need any of that right now.

 

“6 months. I know this is hard to accept, Myungsoo-shi. The chances of recovery are very slim even with surgery. But please do not give up hope. Try to live life to its fullest. Enjoy the last few mo-“

 

Myungsoo flew out of his chair and grabbed onto the collars of the doctor’s white coat. The nurse tried to calm him down but he was far from calm. He was angry. Angry at the doctor for telling him these false words of hope. Angry at the cancer cells that chose him as the next victim. Angry at everything, at everybody, even himself.

 

“Are you ing kidding me? Live life to the fullest? Enjoy my last few moments until I take my last breath? YOU tell me how to enjoy my life! You don’t understand! You don’t ing understand!” he yelled, tears streaming down his face. He slid down onto the cold tiled floor.

 

“You’re a doctor, aren’t you? Save me! Please save me! I’m still young! I can’t- This is unfair. This is too unfair! Why me? Please, doctor, please!” he sobbed as he clawed at the hems of the doctor’s coat. The doctor could only look at him sympathetically.

 

--End flashback—

 

Myungsoo looked out the window of the coffee shop. He watched the people walking by, carrying on with their lives. Envious of them. His phone buzzed and he saw a text from one of his closest friends, Sungyeol.

 

S- How did your date go?

 

He scoffed at the question.

 

M- That was clinging onto me even after I paid her.

S-Yah. Can’t you go on a real date? Don’t waste time sleeping with just anybody.

M-Who cares? It’s not like I have time anyway.

S- Don’t talk like that… You’ll find someone who’ll accept you. Someone who’ll support you.

M-I’ll be dead by the time that happens.

 

He shut his phone off, not wanting to think about the future anymore. Myungsoo knows Sungyeol is just saying empty words. He knows there is no one who is willing to be with someone who’s going to die soon. You die alone. That’s how cruel the world is.

 

After finishing the rest of his coffee, he walks out of the coffee shop, into the cold streets of Seoul. He reaches a park and sits down on a bench, watching a couple cuddling on the bench across his. They were around early 20’s, young and in love. The girl had long wavy hair that reached her waist. Her pink dress fluttered softly from the wind. Her fingers were laced with a boy with dark hair. He was wearing the typical sweater and jeans that any guy his age would wear.

 

Except, he had striking silver eyes.

 

Dating cyborgs had become such a huge trend in South Korea that seeing one on the streets is nothing out of the ordinary anymore. Maybe I should get one of those he thought but quickly dismissed the idea of dating a machine.

 

Getting up from his seat, he strolled through the park, past the high school nearby. He didn’t notice that he had been walking for hours until he reached an unfamilar alley.

 

Great, I must be lost he sighed and walked into the alley, hoping it would be some sort of shortcut back home. He stopped when he came across an antique looking store at the end of the alley. Cyborgs were lined up next to each other at the glass window. Even though Myungsoo never considered getting a cyborg, curiosity got the best of him and he went into the store.

 

The little bell at the top of the door rang softly as he entered. An old man looked up from his newspaper and walked towards Myungsoo.

 

“How can I help you, young man?” The old man’s eyes had a twinkle in them as he peered curiously at Myungsoo.

 

“Uh, no. I’m just passing by…” he trailed off as he glanced around the store.

 

“Well, feel free to look around” The old man said, walking back towards his seat.

 

Myungsoo stared uninterestedly at the rows of cyborgs along the aisles. They were very well-made, male and female but none of them caught his eye.

The shop was like a maze of cyborgs as he turned many corners until Myungsoo reached the last aisle towards the end of the shop. He walked all the way to the end and before him stood a cyborg so beautiful. Too beautiful, in fact, that Myungsoo thought it was impossible for it to be considered male. Soft brown hair, pale skin, long eyelashes and a serene smile on his face.

At the left side of his neck were the words,

 

Model SJ930903.