Chapter 6

I Love You

The town we walked into was full of strolling people going about their business. Vendors sold fruits and flowers on little stands outside of medium-sized shops. Parents held their children’s hand in one hand and bags with interesting logos on them with their other hand. Seeing so many colors and signs was something I was sort of used to because I saw these things through the time transporter, but I was actually here. I could buy one of those fruits! And eat it too! Then buy one of those flowers for Jill! I think the red ones are a symbol of love. Yeah, we don’t have flowers anymore in the future. It’s kind of bland and boring like that.

“Okay, I need to get some things from the mini mart.” Jill motioned to the other little shops. “You just look around and if you see anything you like, let me know. I’ll buy it for you.”

Oh my god, you’re so generous. I stared at her with eyes full of warmth. You’re such a wonderful person.

“Okay, enjoy walking around.” She waved at me and headed toward the mini mart.

I watched her go, then looked around. Although there were many things to explore and people to observe, the only thing I wanted to do was be next to Jill. I turned back to the mini mart where she entered and started to walk toward the entrance. But the door slammed open and Jill came running out. I jumped a little and moved to the side, watching her storm past me with an angry expression on her face.

 

 

I slowly walked up to the bench she was sitting on. She was violently wiping her eyes. It made me flinch. Why? What’s wrong? I slowly touched her upper arm with my hand. She looked up at me for a second and then covered her eyes with her hands.

“I’m sorry…” she mumbled. Her voice was heavy with tears. “You didn’t do anything, I promise. This is all my fault.” She sniffed several times.

I shook my head in complete confusion, wishing she would look at me.

She slowly pulled her phone out of her pocket.  “There’s this guy…”

My heart sank like an anchor. Oh god no…

“We went out for five weeks and…it just got really stupid, and he said some stuff to me…and now he thinks that he can just act like nothing ever happened!” She grabbed her hair and pulled on it.

What are you doing, no!! I pulled her hands away from her hair, staring at her wide-eyed.

“I can’t believe this.” Her head dropped and she cried some more.

Watching her cry suddenly made me remember something…

 

 

I walked around the small park inside of the town. The timer for the time transporter clung securely to my wrist as I slipped my hands into my pockets and stood calmly watching everyone go about their business. You would think standing in a year from the past while no one can see you would get boring after a while, but I honestly enjoyed it every time. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye, a figure started rushing towards me. I turned to see a women run into the bench I was standing nearby and collapse onto it, gasping for breath and holding back tears. I turned to face her curiously. Why is she crying? I’ve seen her many times. She always had a neutral look on her face and sometimes a happy one if she was eating chocolate. But now hot tears started to fall from her tightly closed eyes as she hung her head low.

I walked closer and sat down next to her on the bench. She didn’t react to my appearance. “What’s wrong?” I asked quietly, not expecting an answer. “You have nothing to be upset about.”

She gradually lifted her head and wiped the tear stains on her face. Her phone buzzed in her pocket but she ignored it. I glanced at her pocket then back to her face.

“Is it someone you don’t like?” I scooted a little closer. “Tell me their name and I’ll make sure they’ll never hurt you again.” I knew my words were not heard, but I truly wanted her to know.

The phone beeped several times after ringing. She shook her head distastefully and stared off into space, trying to calm her breathing.

“Hey.” I leaned just the slightest bit closer. “Don’t cry.” My hand slowly rose toward the side of her face. I wanted those tear stains to disappear. My hand hovered above her skin for several seconds. I inched my hand closer, but she turned away to wipe her nose. I sighed slowly and lowered my hand. “I’ll stay with you until you calm down.” I watched her rub her face a couple times and sigh deeply.

Something came over me in that moment. I want to touch her. I want to be in her world. Talk to her. Comfort her. Love her. My cheeks flushed thinking about what it would be like to kiss her.

I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna become part of her world in one way or another.

My wristband beeped several times. I looked down at the screen. Low battery. I slowly stood up and faced the women once more. “I’ll see you later. And when we’re together, I’ll make you feel better.”  I smiled softly then pressed the button on my wristband and my entire body disappeared into the air.

 

 

I stared down at Jill’s trembling figure. Every fiber of my being was shouting at me to hug her. Without thinking of consequences, I bent down in front of her and brought her upper body into mine, wrapping my arms around her back.

She froze and was very still for several long seconds. I didn’t move. Just held her. Feeling her body against mine made me feel so good.

“R-Ryeowook…” She slowly leaned away from me.

Major guilt ran over me. I stood up quickly, looking at the ground.

“I’m so sorry. I’m so confused right now…I think I should just be alone for a while.”

I looked at her.  No! That will only make you feel worse!

“I have to go.” She stood up quickly and headed into a patch of trees.

I opened my mouth, watching her go. I wanted to go after her, but my feet wouldn’t move. I felt so ashamed. I lowered my head, clenching my eyes tightly together. God damnit.

At that moment, my handheld devise rang. I slowly pulled it out and checked the transparent screen. It was Kyuhyun.