Chapter 5

I Love You

I was jerked out of deep REM sleep by the vibrating ringing alarm on my handheld device. I forgot I kept it with me. I stretched and reached into my pocket. The time on the transparent screen glowed 9:00 AM in big block letters. I remembered that I always set my alarm for that time. Then I remembered I’m in Jill’s bed and quickly sit up. Then I froze and slowly looked down at my arms. I clenched and unclenched my fists. I felt zero pain. I raised my arms and stretched them above my head. Still zero pain. Well how about that. I grinned and rubbed my face. Finally that annoying pain was gone. I moved my feet to the edge of the bed and cringed a little. Okay, it’s not all gone yet, but it’s tolerable. I carefully got onto my feet and looked around. The house was silent. Jill still must have been sleeping.

I know, I’ll make her breakfast!  I stuffed my devise back in my pocket and quietly opened the door to the hallway. The moment I set foot into the kitchen, I started rummaging the refrigerator and cupboards for food and spices.  This girl barely had any Korean ingredients, but I let it go and started gathering ingredients for ramyun. She had short cut noodles, teriyaki sauce, some sesame oil, and a bottle of black liquid that said “Food seasoning”. I guessed it was soy sauce because of the black color. I filled a large pot with water and the oven. I noticed it was an electric oven. In my time they are an antique, but I learned how to use them through my secret observations in the time transporters. In about five minutes, the water was boiling and I poured the short cut noodles into the bubbling water.

“Uh, hello?”

I turned around wide-eyed. Jill was staring at me with the same expression in her light purple and plaid pajamas. I quickly waved a “hello” and motioned to the boiling pot. She seemed to be at a loss of words. I slowly turned the knob on the oven to medium so the water wouldn’t boil over the pot.

“…you’re moving.” She said after a moment of silence.

I looked back at her.

“You’re moving!” She was very surprised and happy at the same time. “Wow! Look at you! Yesterday it hurt you to move only one of your hands but now…wow!” She walked next to me in front of the steaming pot. “But you didn’t have to make breakfast.”

I quickly shook my head and motioned for her to sit down.

She seemed to give into him easily. “This is so kind of you.” She sat down on a nearby chair watching him sprinkle a couple drops of sesame oil and food seasoning into the pot.

I grinned as I stirred the mixture.

 

“Oh my god,” Jill wiped with a napkin after the first slurp, “this is amazing! You’re a great cook!”

I lowered my head, trying to hide my reddened face. A bowl of the steaming soup broth was waiting for me to digest it. But all I wanted to do was watch her eat.

“I feel like it needs some kind of spice though.” She thought for a moment. “I’ll go pick up some red pepper flakes at the store. And now that I think about it, I need to look for some pants and shoes as well.” She slurped some more noodles and slowly looked at me. “Would you like to come with me?”

I blinked. Of course! I nodded excitedly.

She laughed. “Okay, then we’ll go after breakfast. Drink your soup.” She pointed at my bowl with her chopsticks and started twirling several strands of noodles on them.

I took my spoon and dipped it into the broth. I glanced at the clock behind her. 10:00 AM. This is a good start. I will definitely not fail. I let the spoon tilt downward into my mouth and relaxed contently as the warm liquid ran down my esophagus.

“You’re getting really good at that.” Jill chuckled with a mouthful of noodles. She quickly swallowed and wiped the side of . “Sorry, that was a little rude.” She removed her hand and I noticed a small piece of noodle stuck to the very edge of her lips.

I stared at it for several seconds unsure of what to do. She noticed me staring at her and raised one of her brows.

“What?” She felt around on her face and touched the speck. “Oh.” She quickly wiped it off and continued eating.

I blinked. Crap, that could have been a better moment. I rubbed my head and filled another spoonful of soup. I need to concentrate better.

“Did I get all of it?”

I looked back at her lips. There was still a very small stain visible to me. I quickly reached for her napkin and carefully rubbed the side of her lip. I tried not to seem so excited to do it, but I probably failed.

“Thanks,” she chuckled a little.

I grinned and nodded, leaning back in my chair and setting the napkin down beside my bowl. That was better. Good job. I mentally patted myself on the back.