Chapter 13

I Love You

A sudden series of beeps interrupted the small silence between us. I slowly looked down and pulled my device out of my pocket.

“What’s that?” Jill stared at my device confused.

I glanced at her and pressed the button. The transparent screen popped up showing Kyuhyun’s upper body.

Jill gasped loudly and leaned back. “What…what the…!”

Kyuhyun blinked at Jill then looked at me. “You idiot. Why would you scare her like this?”

I shrugged one shoulder. I completed the mission. I figured it was okay to stop hiding my secret now.

“You know she can’t hear your thoughts like I can, right?”

Jill looked from me to Kyuhyun. She couldn’t speak properly. “What—how—who---how---what…”

“Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Kyuhyun. You must be Jill. I’ve heard quite a bit about you.”

Jill slowly met Kyuhyun’s transparent eyes. “O-oh…?”

“Please don’t be afraid. What you’re looking at is a device that hasn’t yet been invented yet in your time.”

“What…do you mean ‘hasn’t been invented yet’?”

“I’m sure Ryeowook told you already that he’s from the future?”

Jill stared at Kyuhyun with hanging open.

I slowly turned to her. Yes, I told her. Well, I wrote it down. But she didn’t believe me at first.

“Well that’s not surprising. Time travel is only science fiction in her time.”

Jill’s eyes switched from me to Kyuhyun. “W-wait, how are you…?”

“I can hear his thoughts. It’s a perk to the potion I gave him that sent him to your time.”

Jill slowly looked at me. “Is this guy for real?”

I half-smiled. I told you I wasn’t lying.

“He said he told you he wasn’t lying.”

Jill looked at Kyuhyun then back at me. “You came here by a…potion?”

Kyuhyun answered her. “Yes. I have the ingredients to do so. I also have the ingredients to rip people’s tongues out.”

I shot Kyuhyun a surprised look. Kyuhyun, don’t say it like that!

Jill blinked very slowly. “You were the one who…?”

“Yes. It was the only way.”

“But…why?”

“It’s the thing most precious to him.”

Jill was silent for a couple seconds, then spoke quietly. “Well that’s understandable…”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “She’s funny, Ryeowook. You’ve got good taste.”

I felt my face heat up and sighed. Why did you call?

“I called because your time is almost coming to an end.”

Jill leaned in a little. “What do you mean?”

“I gave him a time limit in your year. He had to win over your affections by the end of three days, that’s today, or else he’d be transported back to my time and never get his tongue back.”

Jill was silent for another couple seconds. “You gave up your tongue…just to be with me?” She looked at me with wide, wet eyes.

I smiled and nodded. You were so sad. I wanted to make you feel better.

“He would have done anything.” Kyuhyun said. “He loves you that much.”

I shot Kyuhyun another look. Hey!

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Oh please, it’s not like it’s a secret.”

Jill’s face also reddened a little and she looked down. “I see…”

“So do you?” Kyuhyun looked at her.

She looked at him. “Do I what?”

“Do you love him too?”

Her face reddened even more. “I…I don’t know, I’ve only known him for a couple days! How could you ask me such a question?”

“It seems pretty evident on your face.”

Jill covered her face.

“Well that’s too bad.” Kyuhyun shrugged. “If you don’t love him back, then he’s gonna have to come back to his original time and never get his tongue back. Sorry he wasted your time. Nice talking to you.” The transparent screen disappeared back into my device.

Jill was very still for several minutes. I imagined she was taking all of what Kyuhyun told her in. I watched her silently.

“So…you’re from the future.” Jill rubbed the back of her neck, not looking at me.

I looked down, then back into her eyes.

She slowly looked out the window. “I really can’t believe this…but it makes sense. The way you were acting in the town square. But I would never have thought…”

I moved my hand onto hers. Please look at me.

Jill slowly turned to look at my hand on hers. “…he said you love me.”

I blushed deeply. I really do.

She seemed troubled. “I don’t know what to say…”

Then don’t say anything. I moved my fingers under her palm and squeezed her hand. I never asked you to love me back. All I wanted to do was make you happy.

She slowly looked into my eyes.  “…I don’t want you to leave, but…I don’t know if I’m ready to say I love you yet.”

A mixture of emotions ran through me. I sighed a little.

“I’m sorry. I really am.” She slowly squeezed my hand.

I tugged on her hand. Before she could look down all the way, I pulled her closer to me and pulled her against me. I love you. She didn’t move for several seconds. I love you so much. I the back of her head gently. Seconds later, I felt her hands move up my back and grip my shirt. Now nothing else mattered to me. Even if I died in that instant, I would be happy.

But I think I jinxed myself because it felt like a knife stabbed the back of my mouth.

“Ryeowook!?” Jill’s hands grasped my shoulders.

I bent over in the bed grasping my throat. It felt like a fire was burning every part of it. My eyes clamped shut as I shook violently.

“Oh my god, what’s happening to you!?” Jill yelled a little loudly. “Don’t die, Ryeowook! Please don’t die!!”

A loud groan escaped my mouth. The fire continued to burn and pulse throughout my throat and mouth. I threw one of my hands down on the bed sheets violently.

“Stay with me! I’m right here, stay with me!!” Jill grabbed my hand. There was nothing but fear in her voice.

My head fell forward as I continued to groan and my entire body squirmed in pain. I felt arms pull me into a warm body. I held that body with both of my hands and buried my head into her shoulder. I mouthed out curse words several times. Then I heard a loud beeping sound coming from the ceiling.

“I called the nurses, please hang on!” Jill held me tight.

I suddenly felt very exhausted. The burning pain in my throat subsided along with my consciousness.

“Ryeowook…?”

Every sound around me vanished.