Chapter 8

I Love You

“Ooh, this one is cute.” Jill observed a dark green sweater hanging on a pole with several other sweaters and sweatshirts hanging limply. The entire store was filled with shirts, pants, and other things I didn’t know stores in 2015 sold. Like socks and underwear and women’s sleepwear.

A part of me wanted to get a better look at those, but watching Jill so engrossed in staring at simple sweaters kept me close.

“What do you think? This one or this one?” She pulled off the green sweater and another sweater with flowers on it and held them up to me.

I don’t care what you wear. You’re beautiful. I shrugged and motioned to both of them.

“Hm.” She continued to study them closely.

Watching her shop so intently made me so happy. I hated when she was upset. It made me feel upset as well.

“Whoa.” Jill looked at a small white paper attached to the sweaters and put them back on the rack. “They’re not that cute.” She chuckled and moved down the aisle toward the exit of the shop. I quickly followed behind her. “Well that was pointless.” Jill stretched as she stood outside of the shop. “Hey, do you want to get some ice cream?” She motioned to a vendor with a cart nearby.

Ice cream. I’ve heard of it. I think people stopped selling it back a little before I was born.

“Oh wait…” Jill’s face sank in embarrassment. “You can’t eat it…”

I looked at her curiously.

“You’re supposed to it…but you don’t have…” She rubbed the back of her head. “Oh wait!” Her expression lightened. “Yes you can! Here, come with me!” She grabbed my wrist and dragged me over to the cart.

I was taken by surprise. My eyes were glued to her hand on my wrist the entire time she was talking to the vendor.

“Here.”

I looked up. She was holding a small plastic cup of white, cream-like food. “Take it. We’ll take yours back to my home and melt it. Then you can eat it with a spoon.” She was smiling big.

I returned her smile and took the cup in my hands. It was cold. I examined the shape and texture of the food as Jill got her own cup and lead me in the direction of her home. My gaze also landed on her hand several times. She was holding my hand as we were walking. Her hand was cold inside mine. I wished the distance between her house and the town square was much longer so I could warm it up completely.