Chapter 2

I Love You

I stared down at my bowl. It was filled halfway with liquid chicken broth. The metal spoon lay next to it. I realized that this is the kind of food I would have to eat from now on. Soup. And water. And I can’t taste either. How the hell am I supposed to swallow?! I sighed quietly. I really should have thought this through…

“You should try eating. Maybe it’ll make you feel better.” She sat across from me.

I was still in her bed, unable to stand and walk around yet. She had a bowl of steamed vegetables in her lap. I glanced at her then back at the lightly steaming bowl below me.

“Can you move your arm?” She took a bite of a steamed carrot.

I slowly moved my fingers. The pain was still there, but was residing gradually. I moved my arm and inch and flinched a little more. She reached for the metal spoon next to my bowl.

“Here.”

I stared wide-eyed as she dipped the spoon into the broth and let it fill up. Oh god, no! No! I’d rather starve, it’s okay!

She brought the spoon closer to my mouth. I leaned against the wall shaking my head.

“You need to eat!” Her tone got very serious. “Get something in your body! Please.” She kept the spoon hovering in front of me. The smell of the broth attacked my nose. It smelled so wonderful. I realized how hungry I was. I slowly leaned forward. I could feel a cold sweat covering my forehead. She brought the spoon closer and I opened my mouth an inch.

“Little more.”

I let out a small sigh of annoyance and opened my mouth a little wider. I wish her lamplight wasn’t so bright! She could very easily see into my mouth! She touched the tip of the spoon to my lips and slowly tilted it down so a couple drops of the liquid entered my mouth. I shivered slightly as it ran to the very back of my mouth and just stayed there.

, I can’t swallow! I leaned back and tilted my head back, trying to get the drops to fall down my esophagus.

“What are you doing?!” She sounded alarmed.

I closed my eyes tightly, trying not to breathe. In a few seconds, the drops disappeared from the back of my throat. I let in a small breath and gagged. I felt her grab my arms.

“What’s wrong??”

I lowered my head coughing harshly. I had no idea if the drops made it down my esophagus. Probably not since I’m coughing my lungs out right now.

“Oh my god,” she sighed big, “don’t you ever scare me like that!”

I glanced at her once I stopped coughing. Her eyes moved to my open mouth. I quickly closed it even though I needed to catch up on breathing.

“Hey…what’s wrong with your mouth?” She looked at me with concern.

I quickly shook my head, breathing hard through my nose.

“No, there’s something wrong. You are a bad liar.” She narrowed her eyes at me.

I gave her my best puppy eyes. It didn’t work.

“Open your mouth.”

I remained perfectly still.

Please open your mouth?”

I forced my lips tighter together.

She sighed. “Why don’t you just show me? Do you not have a tongue or something?”

I blinked. Wow, how did she guess it right the first time!? It could be anything wrong!

She blinked too. “…You don’t have a tongue?”

My head slowly lowered. This is exactly what I didn’t want to have happen. Now I was absolutely sure she’d throw me out or call the police or something.

“Oh my god…” her voice was quiet.

I slowly met her eyes.

“I just tried to feed you…I could have killed you!” She stood up in fear.

I quickly reached for her hand. Don’t go! To my surprise, I didn’t feel any pain.

“I’m so sorry…” She lowered her head in shame.

Oh please don’t apologize. You’re not the one in this hopeless situation. I gently squeezed her hand, trying to meet her eyes. She looked at her hand then into my eyes. I gently pulled on her hand. She stayed standing for another second, then slowly sat back down across from me. I let my hand rest on my leg. She didn’t pull away. She kept her eyes on my hand.

“How are you supposed to eat? Without a tongue?” She met my eyes.

I shrugged one shoulder.

“Well you have to eat somehow!” She moved her gaze back down to our hands thinking hard.

I kept watching her face. I’m sure we’ll find a way. Don’t worry about it so much. My thumb slowly rubbed the palm of her hand. I could feel her hand get very still and even a little sweaty.

“Let me do a quick internet search!” She said abruptly and pulled her hand out of mine to get to her laptop. She almost dropped her bowl of vegetables, catching them clumsily and placing it on the dresser. As she typed away at her laptop, I sighed and leaned back against the wall watching her.

You’re so cute when you’re shy.