Chapter 11

I Love You

The sky was getting darker and darker by the second as I entered the town square, keeping my guard up for anything that could harm me. A single lamppost was lit in the middle of the square with several benches circling the base. The closed shops around me reflected the light from the single lamppost. Even the ice cream vendor’s cart was sitting quietly and completely locked up. Damn. I could have given her ice cream. As soon as I had that thought, I felt so ashamed. Wait, what am I thinking!? How is ice cream gonna make a good apology for trying to show my true feelings!? Something seemed wrong with that sentence. I looked around the empty square for a moment, then leaned against the lamppost.

Why did she have to run away? Why after being lied to once must make her not trust anyone at all?  My gaze turned to the ground. What if…me coming here wasn’t a good idea…  I slowly rubbed my arms as a soft, cool wind blew by. I suddenly felt alone in an unfamiliar year with darkness covering the world around me as the moon appeared in the sky. I glanced up at it. The moon still looks pretty…

Suddenly, a small wave of vertigo came over me and I held my head. Then a stronger wave attacked the back of my head. I shakily placed my hand down on one of the bench arm rests. A soft groan escaped my lips. Everything was spinning. I felt sick in my stomach. I had to lower myself onto the bench and hold my head. What…what’s happening? My mouth started to water and I was starting to shake. I truly thought I was going to throw up. My stomach muscles cringed, making me bend over slightly. I didn’t realize how starving I was until now. I hadn’t eaten anything except soup and melted ice cream.

I swayed slightly on the bench. Jill… Before I could do anything, I dropped to my side and the entire world disappeared into darkness.