All Work and No Play (pt.2)

Look Here

 

Chapter 38 – All Work and No Play (pt.2)

 

“Jajaaaan!!!” Kookie yelled, jumping in front of J-Hope and Jimin and spreading his arms.

 

Both boys looked up in surprise, pulled out of their conversation.

 

“Guys, you missed out! That was really cool!” exclaimed the younger boy.

 

“I’m sure we didn’t.” replied the older one, with a flat expression as the rest of the group also appeared before then.

 

“What should we do next?” asked Insook, excitedly, and V smiled at her excitement.

 

“That one!” V pointed to a big roller coaster a little bit further away.

 

“Oooh… yes!!” she exclaimed, jumping up and down and clapping her hands together.

 

“You know, you two really suit each other…” chuckled Jin. He seemed to have said it as if he was just talking to himself, so he didn’t realize the response his offhand comment got from the few people around him: a glare from Rapmon, a wide smile from V and a slight blush from Insook who looked away, pretending not to hear.

 

“Hum, if that’s the plan then I think we’ll just stay here and wait…” said Hoseok, scrunching up his nose in an unpleasant expression.

 

“But hyung!” exclaimed Jungkook, “you can’t just spend the whole day sitting on a bench!!”

 

“Yeah, at least come and do the line with us,” added Suga, speaking up for the first time. And everyone nodded in accordance.

 

“It’s just a little roller coaster anyways… come on…” added Rapmonster and Suga threw him a warning glare, muttering, “Stop throwing oil into the fire, will you? Come on, Hope-ah, at least let’s all hang out together” he said, with a rare smile, offering his hand out to his friend, who had no choice but to take it.

 

He jumped up and everyone cheered. 

 

“Alright, let’s go!” exclaimed Suga, leading the way.

 

“Well he’s uncharacteristically energetic today…” mumbled Rapmon, taking his cap off to scratch this head, and Jimin laughed, throwing an arm around his friend. “Let’s go!”

 

It took about 50 minutes of waiting in line to reach the top, but no one seem to particularly mind as there were always a lot of things to talk about in a group of 9 people. Mostly, people were just good-naturedly teasing each other and chatting about school and BTS things. Jungkook told everyone how his dancing endurance was getting better, and he was hoping he could join his hyungs for their performance really soon. Ji-Hope shared a little smile at that and patted him on the back.

 

At one point, when boys were discussing music again, Insook wasn’t really paying attention and let her eyes wander to the crowd behind them and their surroundings. When she turned to observe her friends again, she found Rapmon looking at her and it made her embarrassed suddenly. He pointed to his side, to his pocket, and then at her. She looked at him cluelessly and then he took his phone out of his pocket and shook it in his hand, looking at her pointedly. Then he typed something and she felt her pocket buzz. She reached into it and pulled out her phone.

 

[Hey]

[Can we talk?]

 

She looked up at him and they held each other’s gaze for a while. Then she sighed and typed.

 

[Sure. Talk]

 

[I mean privately?]

 

The reply came instantly and Insook looked up at him again. He was looking at her with such pleading eyes that she felt her heart tighten.

 

[Can’t we just enjoy today?]

 

She typed back and didn’t look up to see his reaction. In fact, she just put her phone away and jumped into the conversation Jimin, Jin and Soonja were having about cooking.

 

Rapmonster sighed and put his phone away.

 

When their turn came up, they somehow ended up convincing Jimin to ride the roller coaster with them, and Jimin in turn, ended up dragging Hoseok in the seat next to him before the older boy could protest. Jungkook and Jin rode at the front, followed by V and Insook, Rapmon and Soonja, and the two scaredy cats who were holding to each other for dear life before the cart even started moving. Suga, being the odd one out had to sit in a different car by himself, but he didn’t really mind.

 

“You’re gonna pay for this Jiminie…” muttered Hoseok, through clenched teeth, all the while clutching on Jimin’s arm so hard that it actually hurt the younger boy.

 

“Aww, come on hyung, at least this way you get an excuse to hold on to me,” winked the brown haired boy, and Hoseok would’ve smacked him if he wasn’t so damn cute.

 

The wagons took off and J-Hope let out a high pitch squeal, which made everyone in the cart crack up. He continued screaming throughout most of the ride, and by the end of it, when the train slowed down back into the landing platform, he was quiet, but his face was so white, that no one dared even , though they all chuckled behind his back.

 

“Hyung are you ok?” asked Jimin tenderly, holding out his hand to help Hoseok out of the car.

 

His boyfriend took his hand without even seeming to notice and shakily stepped out of the vehicle. The others glanced at them and decided to go on ahead as J-Hope and Jimin walked super slowly towards the exit.

 

“Babe, I’m sorry, I really didn’t think you were that scared…” he went on apologetically.

 

“I’m ok…” J-Hope waved him off and just kept concentrating on the path in front of him, though his face was still as white as a ghost.

 

When they met up with the other downstairs, everyone was busy chatting happily and welcomed him with a smile and claps on the back, pretending that he had not just spent the whole ride screaming like a little girl. Suga offered to go take a look at the indoor rides since he’d had enough heart-wrenching excitement for one day and could do with a few quieter ones. The younger kids complained but Hoseok cast him a thankful look, and they all headed back indoors.

 

They took a ride on the monorail, and then went on the carousel, which made Hoseok’s smile return, and the swan boats (which Jungkook declined riding because it was a way too couple-y thing to do), and then finally tried out the bumper cars.

 

Just before their turn came up, V grabbed Insook’s hand, raising it to the sky and declaring that he was riding with her.

 

“Yah… you’ve been riding with her every single ride! Let someone else have a turn, won’tcha?!” complained Rapmon, trying the pull the short girl over to his side.

 

“Wae, I called shotgun first, it’s the rule so I win!” retorted V, pulling Insook back towards him.

 

“Guys…” mumbled the teenage girl, though they completely ignored her as they kept glaring at each other.

 

Finally Soonja stepped in, cutting out on Rapmon’s side and pulling Insook into a protective embrace. “I think it’s best that girls ride together from now on” she said, looking pointedly at the both of them in turn.

 

Both boys started protesting, but then the staff person opened the gate so Soonja led Insook towards one of the car as the other two boys grumpily stared at her back. Then they both turned to look at each other and “humpf”ed, each heading for a different car.

 

A while later, some people were starting to get hungry so they headed over to the food court. They grabbed a table and sat down, unshouldering their backpacks and trying to decide what to eat.

 

“Insookie,” V piped up, grinning at her cutely, “what do you wanna eat?”

 

“Ah, Soonja and I brought some food so I don’t need to get anything…” answered Insook, smiling at him as she sat down.

 

“Ahh… I think I’ll get pizza… don’t you want some? I’ll treat you!” he went on, still all smiles, his eyes just tiny slits.

 

“Really?!” exclaimed Insook.

 

“Really!”

 

“Ok!”

 

And then they took off, running, towards one of the shops that was selling pizza.

 

Jungkook mimed an exaggerated shiver going through his whole body, and muttered something along the lines of those two being sickeningly cute, and Jimin threw an arm around him, and said that he was just jealous cuz he didn’t have a girl, which earned him a maknae punch in the gut.

 

They left too, and so did the others, all in a different direction, til finally, only Rapmon and Soonja were left at the table.

 

“You go,” she waved him off, “I’ll stay and guard everyone’s stuff.”

 

“Do you want me to get you anything?” he offered, but she shook her head.

 

“I’m fine, don’t worry.” she said, pulling her bag up and ping it.

 

He nodded and set off at a leisurely pace, not entirely sure what he was gonna get.

 

Soonja sighed and took out her food from her backpack. Compared to what the others would be eating, it wasn’t much, but she couldn’t really afford to spend 20,000won on overpriced amusement park food, and she sure as hell wasn’t gonna accept Rapmonster’s pity, so she unrolled one of her kimbap rolls from its plastic and started munching on it.

 

Jin came back first, arms laden with two trays of food, which held two cartons of chicken, a large order of fries, some mandu and a soft drink. He placed everything down on the table right next to her and settled down in the neighboring seat. Her eyes went wide as she looked up at him in disbelief.

 

“Are you gonna eat all that?!”

 

His eyes crinkled into a happy smile and he nodded.

 

“Tell you what,” he said, pointing to one of the chicken cartons, “I’ll trade you that for one of your kimbap rolls.”

 

“Oh no, I couldn’t…” protested the pretty girl.

 

“No, no, take it,” he went on, placing the chicken in front of her as Soonja looked down at it, “I prefer home-made food anyways” he added, smiling sweetly.

 

Soonja gave him a baffled look and handed him a roll.

 

Jin pulled the plastic down delicately, and put the whole thing into his mouth, taking a huge bite. His eye-smile grew even brighter as he chewed, lips puckered at the front of his mouth, looking like a little bird, and Soonja’s mouth dropped in wonder, as she thought she’d never seen anyone so happy to eat food.

 

“Issh gooouahd!” he muttered with his mouth full, covering it with one hand.

 

Soonja burst out laughing.

 

“What’s so funny?” asked Rapmon, slipping into the seat right in front of Jin, but looking at her.

 

Soonja flashed him a triumphant smile as she answered, “Jin likes my home-made food.”

 

 

Jin looked up at Rapmonster and nodded, beaming, as he chewed on another bite.

 

 

After everyone had eaten their fill, the group kept sitting and chatting for a long time, and somehow ended up starting to take selfies in various group combinations until V suggested that they go do sticker photos, since there was an arcade that offered it, somewhere inside the complex. The other boys groaned, but the girls seemed really excited about it, so they all headed over there.

 

As they were walking, they chatted, attempting to decide which ride they would do afterwards, when a voice called out behind them,

 

“Oh, if it isn’t Min Yoongi!”

 

Suga turned around, as did most of their group except Kookie and Jimin who were way ahead of everyone else and didn’t notice. A good-looking guy who looked like he was in his early or mid-twenties stood there with an expression of happy surprise on his face.

 

“Jae-hyung?!” exclaimed Suga, his voice thick with disbelief as he walked over to the man who had called his name. And then when it turned out to really be that person, he let out an excited little laugh and exchanged a little secret handshake with the stranger, before letting go of all manly pretense and giving him a big hug.

 

“You look well, kid!” said the older boy, ruffling his hair.

 

“Aish… hyung stop that, I’m a high school senior now!”

 

“Oh right, I’m sorry,” apologized the man, though he was still chuckling a little, “Of all the places to run into you…”

 

“Yeah, what are you doing here? This doesn’t seem like your kind of place…” aske Suga, with a quirky little smirk.

 

“I’m here with my girlfriend… she went to the ladies’ room.”

 

“Ooh, girlfriend huh?” Suga grinned.

 

“Yeah. Which one is yours?” asked the older guy with a nod at the rest of the group who was hanging back a little.

 

“Oh, neither. I just came here with some friends. Destress before the tests, you know…”

 

“Oh tests…” laughed the older boy, “Am I glad I don’t have to deal with that crap anymore!”

 

“Did you graduate?”

 

The older boy nodded, “Yup. I’m officially part of the Korean workforce now.”

 

“Hyung, you gave up on your music?!” exclaimed the red-haired boy in a shocked voice, which made the man chuckle.

 

“I was never gonna cut it as a rapper anyways…” he replied, in a slightly embarrassed manner.

 

“That’s not true…” muttered Suga, quietly.

 

“You were always the secret weapon behind our group, Yoongi…” said the older guy, fondly, and Suga looked embarrassed, not knowing how to take the praise. “Are you still doing music?” he asked.

 

Suga nodded. “With these dorks, behind me… our group is called BTS…”

 

“BTS? Really? That’s you?” exclaimed the man, surprised.

 

Suga smirked as he replied, “What? Does our fame precede us?”

 

“Sorta. I have a friend who’s really into the underground scene, but our company isn’t really interested in rap… that’s too bad…”

 

“Your company? Hyung, what is it exactly that you do?”

 

“Event management. Mostly, we organise street performances in Hongdae, and sometimes subcontract with music companies, introducing new acts, finding new talents and such…”

 

“Ohh….”

 

“So you see, I didn’t totally give up on music” winked the older guy.

 

His girlfriend chose that moment to return and they spent some time introducing each other, and then Suga said that his friends were probably tired of waiting so he should probably go, but as he turned to leave, he turned right back and said,

 

“Hyung, if it wasn’t just rap, do you think you could give us a spot at one of those things?”

 

“What do you mean?” asked the boy, his interest piqued.

 

Suga pulled his phone out of his bag and made him listen to the song that all 7 members had recorded the previous night.

 

“Did you do this?!” asked the guy, incredulously, and Suga nodded, trying not to grin.

 

“Yoongi this is really good!”

 

Now he was grinning.

 

“Can you send it to me? I’ll have my boss listen to it. But if he agrees, which I’m sure he will, I could let you guys perform it next weekend.”

 

“Next weekend?” echoed Suga, slightly worried.

 

“Yeah, we have free events at a big park in Hongdae twice a month. If you can’t next weekend then it’ll have to be 3 weeks later. But actually, you have more of a shot of getting in this time around since one of our artists bailed, and we’re kinda screwed.”

 

“Oh… well ok then.” replied Suga.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Suga nodded.

 

“Alright then, I’ll let you know by tomorrow. It was nice running into you again!”

 

And then the guy waved as he left with his girl holding on to him. Suga walked back to his group with a look of awe on his face.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked Rapmon with a worried look.

 

“Wrong? Nothing’s wrong.” said Suga, flashing them a huge gummy smile that made him look years younger. “I just may have gotten us our biggest gig yet.”