Who U Goin' With?

Look Here



Chapter 27 – Who U goin with?

 

Friday rolled on without Insook even noticing it. This week had seemed to just fly by for some reason. It was lunchtime and she and V were sitting at what was quickly becoming their own personal little spot, and they had their Japanese textbooks opened next to them under the pretence of working on their skit, but as usual, very little was getting done. They’d finally decided on a plot, but had yet to start writing any dialogue, and once again, they’d gotten side-tracked by one of V’s random comments, and now sat next to each other, watching a funny video on his phone.

 

“Wait, wait, this part is really good……….. waaaahahahaha!!!” the young boy gwaffed, shaking so much that Insook had trouble actually making out what was so funny. V’s face was funny enough to make her smile though, and she let out a small chuckle, watching him be so giddy.

 

Her phone buzzed on the seat next to her and she bent to pick it up and look at the screen.

 

[Hey girl, I hope you didn’t forget your promise]

[RM]

 

“What promise?”

 

Insook barely turned her head and realized that V was leaning all the way over her shoulder to peek at her phone.

 

“Didn’t you mama teach you it’s bad to spy on people?” she scolded him.

 

“Nope.” he retorted childishly, and came to sit down next to her. “So, what promise?”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing. He just asked me to go watch his gig tonight.” replied the girl, shoving her phone back into her bag.

 

“Oh.” replied her friend, with an unreadable expression, “He asked me too.”

 

“He did?” Insook sounded surprised.

 

The ashen-haired boy nodded.

 

“You guys talking again?”

 

V shrugged, and started playing with his watch. Insook stared at him for a few moments and then, he suddenly looked up with a big bright smile that was so out of the blue, it worried her.

 

“We should go together!” he exclaimed, as if it was the idea of the century.

 

“Together?” she echoed, and he nodded frantically.

 

“Why not? It’s better than going alone” he suggested.

 

“True… and I don’t really feel that good going to a club by myself…” reflected the young girl.

 

“Then it’s a date!!” he exclaimed.

 

“It is NOT a date, Taehyung…” she said, giving him a warning look.

 

“It’s just an expression… sheeshh….”

 

***

 

Jimin straightened up from packing all the things he needed for the weekend into his backpack and closed his locker. He shouldered his bag and turned in direction of the door, but before he’d taken 5 steps, he was tackled from behind by a grinning Jungkook.

 

“Yo!” exclaimed the youngest, throwing an arm around his friend’s neck and falling into step with him.

 

“Yaaah… why you always so rude to your elders, huh?” scolded Jimin, but he was smiling at his dongsaeng.

 

Jungkook ignored him and went on, “what time are we meeting tonight?”

 

“Tonight?” Jimin stopped walking.

 

“Yeah, for BTS-hyungs’ live of course. We’re going right?” asked the black-haired boy, eagerly.

 

“Aaaahh, Jungkookie, I can’t. I gotta go home now.”

 

“But it’s not until much later!” whined the younger boy, his smile dropping.

 

“I can’t, my parents went back to Busan for the weekend and I gotta stay home and watch the dog,” he answered apologetically.

 

“Come on, seriously?! Your dog won’t die if you’re away for a few hours…” Jungkook rolled his eyes.

 

Jimin patted his head, a gesture that usually annoyed Jungkook to no end but now got no reaction out of the boy who was too busy pouting.

 

“It’s not the end of the world, Kookie, you don’t need me to go.”

 

“Yes, I do!” he whined, and Jimin gave him an annoyingly motherly look, “I don’t know the hyungs well enough to just go by myself! I neeeeed youuuu---oou---ooouuuuu” he pleaded, shaking his friend’s arm back and forth as if that would somehow convince him.

 

Jimin laughed. “Why don’t you ask Jin-hyung?” he asked, trying to extricate himself, but failing.

 

“Jin-hyung?” repeated Jungkook, dropping his arm instantly.

 

“Yeah, didn’t you guys go together last time?”

 

Jimin could almost see the lightbulb light up above Jungkook’s head as his eyes got bigger and his smile returned.

 

“Oh! Good idea!” exclaimed the freshman, before taking off at a run towards the staircase; turning back to shout and wave at his friend “See ya next week!!”

 

Jimin laughed as he watched him go and started up towards the exit again, shaking his head. As soon as he’d crossed the school gates though, his face fell. He felt bad about lying to Kookie, but there was no way he was going to that club tonight. He still wasn’t ready to face Hoseok…

 

*

 

Jungkook poked his head through the drama club door and peeked in. Jin was sitting at the table with an even bigger pile of manuscripts than the day before. The youngest perked up as he saw his elder and trotted over to him happily, but Jin was so deep in concentration that he only looked up when Jungkook called loudly, “Hyung!”

 

“Oh, hello Jungkook.” Jin flashed a pretty eye-smile.

 

“Hyung!” repeated Jungkook excitedly, “wanna go to the club again to watch BTS??”

 

“Ah, I’d love to but I can’t. My mom is working the night shift again so that means I have to watch my sister.”

 

“Seriously?!” Jungkook’s face fell, “You too?!”

 

“Me too? Someone else is stuck on babysitting duty?” asked the older boy.

 

“Jimin. Except he’s babisitting his dog.” he spat the last word out with contempt.

 

“Why don’t you go by yourss— ” Jin started his question but left his sentence hanging when he saw the dirty look that Jungkook shot him. “… hum… I’m guessing that’s not an option then…” he finished awkwardly, scratching his head.

 

Jungkook “hmpfed” and Jin tried to offer some empathy, saying that BTS seemed to be performing nearly every week so it wasn’t too bad to just miss one performance, but apparently that was not the thing to say, because Jungkook sighed even louder, rolled his eyes in annoyance and just stormed off without a word.

 

“Oh well….”

 

***

 

Later that evening, The girls were chatting in Insook’s bedroom, for the first time in what felt like ages. Soonja was puttering around Insook’s closet, looking for something to wear, while her friend just laid back on her bed, occasionally shooting down whatever suggestion Soonja made.

 

“But you gotta look pretty for your date!”

 

“Oh my god,” exclaimed Insook, “don’t say that!! It already feels so much like a date!”

 

The taller girl paused amidst checking the selection of clothes in her friend’s closet to ask,

 

“It’s not?”

 

“Of course it’s not!” retorted Insook, springing upright and blushing bright red.

 

“Relax, I’m only teasing…” chuckled Soonja, resuming her inspection. “But it doesn’t mean we can’t make you so alluring he won’t fall for you anyways!” she turned around grinning, holding a plain but short black dress up to her friend’s eyes.

 

“This is cute! How come I’ve never seen you in it??”

 

Insook shook her head violently and mouthed “no way” and then explained, “mom bought that.”

 

Soonja sighed and put the dress back.

 

“There’s no need anyway…” the shorter girl muttered absentmindedly, before she realized she’d never even told Soonja about what had happened with V that night over a week ago.

 

“Why not?” asked her friend, “He’s totally cute! And I think he likes you!”

 

“Yeahhh…..” muttered Insook, avoiding the question and looking away.

 

“What?” Soonja stopped fussing and came over to sit next to her on the bed. “Well, come on!”

 

Insook looked embarrassed, and then, unfolded the story of V’s sudden confession and how she’d turned him down and how he’d been acting since then.

 

“ARE YOU INSANE?!” exclaimed her friend, so shocked she even stood up off the bed.

 

Insook glanced away, looking somewhat guilty.

 

“Why did you say no?! He’s such a sweet boy!” Soonja went on in a calmer yet still completely bewildered voice, sitting back down. “I mean, sure he’s a bit odd, but…”

 

“Cuz I still liked Namjoon at that time…” Insook answered quietly.

 

Soonja stared at her and said, deadpan, “you’re an idiot.” but then she reviewed her friend’s words in her head and added, “and… liked?”

 

Insook’s eyes widened as she looked up. She hadn’t realized that she’d used the past tense. Then she looked back down and fussed with her nails.

 

“Aaaah… I dunno…” she moaned.

 

Soonja sighed and patted her hand.

 

“I dunno how I feel about Namjoon… or V…. I….” she left her sentence unfinished as she looked up at her friend with a lost expression.

 

“Hey, it’s ok.” said Soonja, “let’s just get you through this date ok?” and she gave her hand one more pat before getting up again and heading back for the closet.

 

“It is NOT a date!” exclaimed the teenage girl.

 

“Oh trust me, he definitely thinks it’s a date.”

 

Soonja smirked at her and Insook groaned, falling back on the bed. A minute later, Soonja tossed her a pair of jeans shorts and a white t-shirt.

 

“That’s it?” asked the black-haired girl, picking up the shirt.

 

Soonja shrugged, “I can only do so much with what your closet offers, but that look’s a classic. Some boys dig that. Now let’s get started on your hair.”

 

Insook looked back down at the outfit again, not too sure about her friend’s words but going along with it.

 

An hour later, she stood in front of the mirror, admiring her reflection. She didn’t look like she’d tried that hard, but she definitely looked like a much nicer version of herself. The white t-shirt was quite big on her, but hugged her curves in a flattering way, and her hair hung in glossy curtains on either side of her face. She’d even allowed Soonja to put some mascara on her already long lashes, and the effect was quite pretty.

 

“Now if only we could do something about your shoes…” sighed Soonja.

 

“What’s wrong with my Converse?”

 

Soonja was just about to answer when Insook’s phone buzzed from the dresser next to her bed, and the short girl exclaimed, “Ooh, ooh! That’s V!” sauntering across the room to get it.

 

“He’s at the station,” she read out, “says he’ll be here in about 5 minutes.”

 

“Aaah… I feel like I’m sending my child away on her first date!!” exclaimed Soonja dramatically, wiping away a fake tear.

 

“Shut up, mom” retorted Insook, unimpressed.

 

“Come here…”

 

The taller girl grabbed the shorter one in a back hug and put her cheek against hers, saying “you’re still my little girl…” and Insook laughed.

 

“Aaah,” went on the brown-haired beauty, releasing her “I am kinda jealous.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Well, I’ve never seen them live you know.” she said, walking Insook back in front of the mirror and fussing with her hair.

 

“You mean BTS? Since when do you care about them?” Insook asked, surprised.

 

“Oh well you know, after last time I got kinda curious…”

 

 “Oh? ‘Crapmonster’ not making you wanna puke anymore??” she teased.

 

“Shut up.” Her friend play-punched her on the shoulder and Insook laughed. “He’s alright, I guess.”

 

Insook was going to reply something else but right then, the doorbell rang and they both looked at the door.

 

“He’s here!” exclaimed Insook, suddenly nervous.

 

“Go.” ordered her friend, ushering her towards the door. “You look beautiful.”

 

Insook turned to give her one last worried look, grabbed her bag and exited into the hallway.

 

“They grow up so fast…..”