Space

Look Here

 

Chapter 23 - Space

 

Jungkook was sitting at their table by himself when Insook walked into art class on Monday morning, which was odd. She walked over and put her things on the table, causing him to look up from the manga he was reading.

 

“Oh hey,” he greeted her, and she nodded a shy smile in response.

 

“Jimin isn’t with you? That’s rare” she commented as she sat down.

 

“I know…” said the younger boy, closing his book and looking at his watch, “It’s really unlike him to be this late…”

 

And as if to prove his point, the bell indicating the start of first period chimed. The teacher clapped his hands, and slowly, the small hub of chattering students quieted down. He then proceeded to explain their new project for the next 10 minutes, before they were free to go gather materials and get started.

 

“So Saturday was pretty fun, huh?” asked Jungkook, not looking up as he traced pencil lines over his paper, seemingly absentmindedly, but with great precision.

 

Insook looked up, surprised at his obvious attempt at conversation and said “yeah…” smiling.

 

“That thing when Suga and Jin had a darts contest…” Jungkook snorted.

 

“Omg yes, that was so funny!!” hiding her giggle with her hand.

 

“And he’d do a little dance every time he scored…”

 

“And twirl!”

 

“And take a little bow…”

 

“And Suga was just like…”

 

They were both laughing so hard that they hadn’t noticed Jimin walk into the classroom and hand in his notice to the teacher until the brown-haired boy plopped down on the seat next to Jungkook with a loud thud.

 

“Oh hey…” said Jungkook, still laughing, “there you are! What happened?”

 

“Ahh… I overslept…” Jimin gave him an embarrassed smile, rubbing the back of his head and Jungkook rolled his eyes.

 

“What are we doing?” Jimin asked, and his friend took a few minutes to go over the details of the project with him. Jimin went to fetch his supplies, and by the time he got back, his tablemates were deep into conversation again.

 

“But no, the best part was when you guys danced to that Sistar song…” Insook was saying, “that was just so…” and she couldn’t finish her sentence because she couldn’t contain her laughter.

 

Jungkook flashed her a crooked smile. “We were cool, huh?”

 

“Cool is not really the word I’d use…” she chuckled.

 

Jungkook put his hand behind his head and mimicked doing a body roll from his chair and she burst into tears of laughter again.

 

“Oh god stop…” she muttered, putting her head on the table as she shook with laughter.

 

Jungkook looked pleased with himself, and he looked at Jimin, to get some kind of acknowledgement, but the boy was just looking down at his paper, drawing the same line over and over, and obviously lost in thought.

 

“Seriously though,” Insook said, once she’d recovered her breath, “did you guys practice before?”

 

“Nope, we just did that on the spot.”

 

“But you were so in synch!” she said, genuinely surprised.

 

“kehee…” grinned the boy.

 

“You guys should really think about doing this professionally or something” she said, sounding impressed.

 

“We are! I mean, we will! Hobi-hyung said I could join their BTS dancing sub-unit!” exclaimed Jungkook, obviously excited.

 

“Oh yeah, that’s right, you and him did that dance at the festival!” said Insook, turning to Jimin who was now looking out the window, completely not paying attention, so she turned back to Jungkook and asked “you’re gonna join them too?”

 

“Yup!” the black-haired boy’s grin split his whole face, “Jimin did he say when?”

 

Jimin, hearing his name, turned around and asked “what?”

 

“Hobi-hyung”

 

A panicked look crossed Jimin’s face and he replied defensively “What about him??”

 

Jungkook stared at him funny, before repeating, “did he say when he wanted to start practicing together??”

 

“Oh” said Jimin, relaxing, “no, he didn’t.”

 

Jungkook frowned at his paper in disappointment and said, “Oh.” He paused for a little while, and then added, “Well can we?”

 

 “What?” asked Jimin who had spaced out again.

 

“JIMIN!! You are not paying attention!!” scolded the younger boy, making Insook crack up.

 

A few people turned to stare at the sound of his voice, and Jimin stared at him, nonplussed. Then he sighed and said “Sorry, I just didn’t sleep well…”

 

Jungkook gave him a sympathetic look and carried on, just as cheerfully as before. “Well, we should ask Hobi-hyung when he wants to start… cuz I’m so excited!!”

 

“Yeah, yeah…” muttered Jimin, forcing a smile as he waved him off, and Jungkook stuck his tongue out at him at rolled his eyes at Insook, who chuckled at the two close friends’ relationship.

 

*

 

Insook’s next class was Japanese. As she walked into the room, she saw V waving at her frantically from his seat by the window.

 

“Insook! I saved you a seat!” he called out cheerfully as she walked over and put her things on the desk in front of him.

 

“I always sit here though…” she chuckled at his over-the-top enthusiasm.

 

“yeah but you never know… someone might’ve have decided that today is the day they want this prime seating position in front of moi

 

She laughed and rolled her eyes at him.

 

V chattered at her until the bell rang, and the teacher started the class by checking their homework. After that, she started explaining about their final project and everybody groaned.

 

“Now-now…” said the older woman, “you should all be happy that we’re not having a test like all your other classes. The final assignment will be a group presentation.”

 

Cue more groans.

 

The teacher ignored them and went on to explain that this presentation would be a skit, which they would write themselves and perform two weeks from now. They could be in groups of 3 or 4 students, and they had to write the whole speech in Japanese, using the grammar points they’d been practicing. The groups and topics were up to them, but it had to be at least 3 minutes long.

 

V being in the drama club got really excited, but Insook – along with everybody else – groaned and muttered that she’d really just rather have a test.

 

“Insookie will be in my team, right?” V bent over his desk and whispered loudly behind her ear, even before the teacher gave the go ahead to start choosing their members, and the teenage girl turned around to look at him. He was grinning from ear to ear so she just gave him a little smile and nodded her agreement with a chuckle.

 

Finally, the teacher stopped talking and left them free to get started. So she turned around to face him, as everyone in the class stood up, trying to find partners. She was about to say something when a girl came over and said, “Taehyung-ah” making them both look up.

 

The girl was short and pretty, in a traditional sort of way, with her hair in a tight braid that hung over her left shoulder. Insook only knew that her name was and that she was a freshman like V. She was looking at him with her brightest smile and asked in a very self-assured voice, “Would you like to join our group?”

 

“Ah, sure! As long as Insookie can join too!” he replied, looking over at Insook with a wide smile.

 

The girl looked her over, and an expression of disdain passed over her face so quickly that Insook thought she must have imagined it.

 

“Ahh…” said the girl, “our team already has 3 members, so there’s only room for one more…” she said, apologetically.

 

“Ahh,” replied the boy, “then I guess I can’t join, since I already promised her… but you guys can just be 3 though. 3 is ok” he added, smiling at her.

 

“Ah… yes, you’re right” she said, flashing an awkward smile, “well, thanks anyways.”

 

“Sorry!” V called out as she retreated to her pack, shaking her head and whispering.

 

Soon enough, everybody had grouped-up, but V and Insook remained alone together. When the teacher came over to write their group down, and realized they were only 2, she told them they should split up to join 3-membered groups.

 

“No!” exclaimed V, making her jump a little.

 

“Teacher, can’t we just do it in a pair?” he went on, a little more calmly.

 

“Well, I suppose… but it’s going to be a lot more work…”

 

“That’s fine” retorted the young boy, while Insook looked on with a worried look on her face.

 

“Well, if you don’t mind, I suppose it’s ok…” said the teacher, doubtfully, and V nodded eagerly as she took their names down on her sheet of paper.

 

As she walked off to the next group, Insook stared at him with a grave expression. “More work, V?”

 

“Don’t worry!” he laughed, “I’m acting prince Kim Tae Hyung! This will be a piece of cake!”

 

Insook didn’t reply but just stared at him, eyes filled with worry, with a strong desire to shake her head and just walk off. ‘What have I gotten myself into? … again?!’

 

***

 

The BTS boys were chilling at Suga’s apartment after school, just chatting casually about the day’s random events when Suga’s phone rang. He picked it up and answered.

 

“Oh, hyung! What can I do for you?” he said in a very polite voice as the person on the other end introduced themselves.

 

Rapmon watched on curiously, wondering who it could be, while J-hope fiddled, with a coaster on the table in front of him, not really paying attention. After about a minute, Suga hung up and looked at both of them with a big smile on his face.

 

“That was Chan-hyung. He said someone pulled out for Friday’s show and wants to know if we can perform in their place.” he informed his friends. “I said yes, of course.”

 

“Sweet!” exclaimed Rapmon, “feels like ages since we’ve been on stage already.”

 

Suga grinned back at him, “Well, we need to get on it then.”

 

“Should we try fresh stuff or just go with songs we already know?” asked Rapmonster, getting excited.

 

“Hum… I think we should play it safe for now… although I wanted to have you guys listen to that song I did with V. It’s pretty sick.”

 

“Oh? Yeah, what’s that about anyways, you gonna ask him to join too?” asked Rapmon, in a mix of surprise and mild jealousy.

 

“I dunno… but why not? Hobi’s gotten Jimin on board, so I don’t see why we couldn’t have vocal guests as well,” shrugged the red-haired boy.

 

At the sound of Jimin’s name, J-Hope, who had been keeping quiet, perked up to look at them, though neither of them noticed.

 

“Hmm… I guess…” said Rapmon thoughtfully.

 

*

 

After 3 hours of practice, the boys called it a day and Rapmon and J-Hope exited the studio together. Suddenly, the blonde boy paused as they started making their way to the station, claiming he’d forgotten something at Suga’s place.

 

“Oh, ok” simply answered Hoseok, turning around to go back.

 

“No, no, it’s cool. I’ll get it myself, you go on ahead.” retorted Rapmonster, shaking his hands energetically, “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

 

“Oh, ok,” answered his friend again, with an uncharacteristic lack of emotion, before turning around and going on his way.

 

Rapmon frowned, staring at his friend’s retreating back, but then just shrugged and turned to go the other way. He didn’t go to Suga’s place though. He walked right past it and headed into Soonja’s restaurant.

 

“Welcome!” called the bespectacled, bleached-haired waitress as he walked in, “oh it’s you.” she added, recognizing him. “Soonja’s not working today” she told him, with a little smirk peaking at the corner of .

 

“What? I didn’t come here to see her!” he protested, though his face had visibly fallen at her words.

 

“Well then, if you say so…” she said, trying not to smile, and led him to a table in the corner. “same as usual?” she asked, handing him a menu, and he nodded curtly, not even looking at it, before she turned back towards the kitchen, chuckling to herself.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heeeey everyone!!!!

Sorry it's been so long since the last update... there has been a lot going on, with the Japanese release of "For You" and all the events that were happening over here... honestly, I was going kinda crazy... and now they've just released Dope as well and I'm just... XD they all look so hot... lol. but nevermind!! I'm trying to get back into writing... I'm story that this chapter doesn't really have much going on in the ways of romance, but please bear with me!! I'll try and upload another chapter before the week is over!! Thanks for bearing with me! XP

AoH