Love Game (Part 1)

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

Cunning.

Witty.

Charming.

Beautiful.

Fierce.

CEO of Blanc, Jessica Jung was more than a pretty face.

She.

Was.

A.

Hard.

Core.

Gamer.

“No! You ing, er, picker! You nearly killed me! .”

Wrapped up in a blanket, in days old PJs, wearing a bright pink Razer Kraken Kitty Gaming Headset, illuminated by the rainbow colors of her Velztorm Partix CTO Gaming computer, this CEO was in a gam-a-thon of the newest, hottest game around Artemis’s Fury. She was nearing the last level where she would finally fight Oden but her teammates ed her over to save themselves.

“Power hungry scum.”

She died.

Leaning back in her chair, Jessica turned off the game, tired and defeated. So much for taking the weekend off just to die at the last minute. Throwing her head back, Jessica wondered what else there was to do today. The purpose of the weekend was to escape the stresses of her company but now that her distraction was gone, what else was there to do?

Dragging her body off the chair, Jessica threw off her blanket and went to the window. She hissed as she opened the curtain to the bright light, “, what time is it?”

Looking down onto the streets, Jessica saw the specks of people walking around and enjoying their day. In a time not so long ago, Jessica could have been one of those random people in the crowd, enjoying their weekend hanging with friends, going shopping…dating?

Thrashing the curtains closed again, Jessica returned to her own darkness. That old life was like a distance memory. She hardly knows who that old Jessica was anymore. The current Jessica is a lonely hermit, who’s only purpose in life is to run her successful business and kick the of nerdy little boys and girls around the world under the username Stargirl.

Suddenly feeling famished, Jessica walked into her kitchen opening the fridge but where food should be, was only liquor. Jessica shook her head, like she should've known better, but what to do about her growing stomach? Should she order something? Looking up for guidence, Jessica grimmiced at the thought of needing to shower and change clothes to greet someone at the door.

Instead she turned to her pantry that had nearly every ramen flavor on earth, “I am craving something spicy…” Reaching for the packet filled with flames, Jessica assumed this would settle the bitter taste of defeat.

Ramen, being one of the few things she could cook herself, Jessica filled her pot with water and the stove for it to boil. While she waited, she reached into the fridge grabbing the first bottle of wine she felt.

With her ramen cooked and the bottle of wine uncorked, Jessica plopped down in front of her other best friend, Netflix. She and Netflix have had an intimate relationship with RomComs lately. Not hesitating to put on 50 First Dates, Jessica sighed as she tasted the burn of soggy fire chicken noodles on her tongue.

If one could define Jessica’s life was at this very moment, the dictionary had the perfect word: pitiful.

This reclusive life was comfortable in a world that has turned her into this ball of seclusion. It wasn’t like she was unhappy, because she loved her job and loved her life around games and Netflix, but the more she fell into this hole, the deeper it got. If only there was someone who could reach into that hole and pull her out. Family and friends have reached in there, only to be kicked out of her life completely. Now, no one dares to reach into the dark crevice of Jessica’s life. It would take a of magic for Jessica to find a life outside of her curtains.

Nearing the end of the movie, the empty wine bottle rolled onto the floor. With the lack of sleep taking it's toll, Jessica drifted off to sleep.

In the midst of her slumber, Jessica’s computer started up on its own. As if a flash of lightning struck her room, the flash of light birthed a mysterious figure.

-------------------

For some time now, rustling around the house but when the toaster was knocked onto the floor, Jessica jolted awake. Although, her head pounded when she sat up too quickly, “What the …” Hearing the creaking of the floorboards behind her, Jessica froze as her half open eyes caught the glimpse of a grey shadow floating around her home. Someone was in here.

How did they get past her security?

Did they want to kill her? Rob her?

Slowly moving her head, Jessica had to face it, “W-who are you?”

The intruder stopped moving, knowing the creature on the couch was awake. Did she dare to say something?

Building up some courage, Jessica fully turned around to see her captor, but who or what was standing there, made her blood go cold, “A-Artemis?”

Fully in her battle garb and bow in hand, the Goddess stood tall, “It is I…are you perhaps a peasant? I do not wish to hurt an innocent.”

Jessica rubbed her eyes a few times, “What the …”

“? What does that mean in your language? You say it as a common word.”

Jessica looked at her computer a few times, “She looks exactly like…what the hell…am I still sleeping?”

“Peasant, would you happen to know why I appeared in your hut? I was on my way to kill Orian and save my people from his tyranny. “

Jessica laughed at the line used in the game, “No ing way…I am hallucinating !”

Artemis stepped closer, “I do not wish to alarm you human, but I am very real and my powers seem to have drained. I need your help on my quest to defeat Orian. He must be stopped!”

Jessica got up to look the woman in the eyes, “You are just a game. Orian was defeated by some 14 year old boy in New Zealand.”

“New Zealand? Is that where we must travel?”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “You talk just like the game. Is the bow even real?”

The woman flinched back into a battle pose, “Or perhaps you were the one who stole my powers and are working with Orian?”

Jessica recoiled, “Woah woah woah, I am most certainly on your side but you see…you can’t be real. I play you in a game.”

“A game? Preposterous! I am real! Maybe you have never faced a God before?”

Jessica reached for the game packet and handed it to the Goddess, “Look. That is you.”

Hesitant, Artemis quickly swiped the game, “What magic is this? Why am I on this thing?”

“Because…you are just a game.”

The Goddess was speechless. In her long life, she has never had such powerful magic bestowed upon her before. Although Orian would be powerful enough to put some kind of spell, but why is this human here? Maybe the human put the curse on her…but to bewitch a God seems unlikely. Maybe the human is the key? But how is the human the key?

Jessica looked at the woman who was in deep thought, “Look, I am just as freaked out as you. I have no idea how you magically came out of my computer.”

“I have concluded we need to work together to break this spell. Do you know of some wizard or witch that would wish this upon you? Us?”

Jessica shook her head.

“Curious…so we both don’t know what would break the curse.”

“Look lady, what I do know is that you can’t be living in my world looking like that.”

The Goddess looked at the human, “Does everyone here look like a dirty peasant? How…unhygienic.”

Jessica froze, sniffed herself, “Oh…wait…this isn’t normal.”

“I would hope not…”

“I swear it is not! You can wear my non-dirty clothes. Also your name is a bit strange for my land.”

“My name has been bestowed upon me by the most powerful Gods in the universe but you want to strip me of my identity?”

Jessica laughed, “If we are going to work together to get you back into my game, then you need a common name.”

“I don’t want common. I want something powerful.”

Jessica rubbed the bridge on her face, “I am not good with Korean names…Tae…Tae…Taeyeon? Yea. Taeyeon.”

The Goddess repeated the name a few times, “What is it’s meaning?”

“No idea.”

“You seem not too bright…well maybe common for a peasant.”

“Yah! Stop calling me a peasant. I am considered rich in this land.”

Looking around the room and then looking the other woman up and down, “The lifestyle of the rich is really different here. Where is your gold? Servants? A home fit for 20?”

Jessica scoffed, “First things first, the clothes. Also…your bow…could you put that thing down?”

Seeing that there was no clear threat here, Artemis put down her bow and followed Jessica to the bedroom and walk-in closet, “I do not see how clothes will help us in the quest. First we need to know what item or person we are saving. I have thoughts you are the key to finding the portal back to my home. I suggest you stay close to me for protection.”

Jessica laughed a little, “I don’t know who needs the protecting…” Picking out a few outfits, “In my land we have clothes for home and clothes for outside. These here are for the home, the others here are work clothes. Make sure not to mix these up."

The Goddess has never seen such clothes before, “Very unusual attire.”

Jessica nodded, “I think it would be better for you to stay close to me. This means we need to make sure you are ready for the outside world. Tonight we are going to do research on the video machine. It will show you the language and mannerism of my people.”

Taeyeon sat down next to Jessica, “What is the meaning of ‘Sky Castle’?”

Jessica smiled, “You wanted to know what the rich are like in my world. We can start with this…and then we have a few about my workplace.”

“'What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim' sounds interesting.”

“Sit back and relax.” Jessica smirked as she pressed play.

From time to time, she looked over to the Goddess to find the face of horror cross her face so many times. They binge watched ‘Sky Castle’ before moving on to 'What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim'. From then on Taeyeon had a whole new view on the human world.

“The rich in your world is not too different from those in the mortal world of my world. They treat those below them like servants, but here, they do pay the servants so that is a good change.”

Jessica laughed.

“You said that the Kim show…was your work. Who are you? Miss Kim or Mr. Lee?”

“I am Mr. Lee.”

Taeyeon nodded up and down, “Humm yes. I see it.”

“Yah! I am more carefree than him. Just you watch tomorrow.”

“So tomorrow. Will I be your Miss Kim?”

Jessica giggled, “I have a secretary already but…if you would like, I can call you Miss Kim. Kim Taeyeon has a nice ring to it.”

Taeyeon seemed satisfied with her new name, “very well. I will try to not cause you trouble tomorrow but we must also keep alert for a sign of our…”

“Yes yes we must find the meaning of this quest.” Jessica smiled as she looked at this fierce goddess in her bright pink cat pajamas, “I hope tomorrow won’t be too troublesome.

 

~To be continued~