Coffee Kisses

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

“How dare he low-ball me like that! Doesn’t he know who I am? Tell him that and get back to me. I am not going to accept that offer.” Wearing the latest high-end tailormade suit, with matching stilettos, the woman marched into the coffee shop. She hung up her phone and flipped her purse onto her shoulder as she ordered an, “Americano.”

Although the shop wasn’t her usual Starbucks, the CEO liked the quant coffee shop that happened to be situated next to her alma mater. Although the coffee was great, she often came back here to clear her head and revisit old memories.

Today was she felt like she needed to flee work. She spent weeks trying to sign a new client but the negotiations were not going well. Normally she would tell the client to screw themselves and find someone else to deal with their bull, but being the fearless CEO she is, she will get this deal signed. But not all battles needed to be fought in one day so, for the next 30 minutes she would step away from the battlegrounds to recollect her thoughts and enjoy her coffee.

“Jessica! Americano for Jessica!”

The CEO heard her name and promptly went up to get her coffee, but a familiar face stopped her, “T-Taeyeon?”

The barista flashed a beautiful smile, “Oh my gosh! Jessica! Wow…it has been so long…I mean look at you. Still fierce yet pretty.”

Jessica blushed, “What are you doing back here? I mean I saw you here all the time in college but…”

Taeyeon laughed, “I own the place now.”

“Oh! What? Really?” Jessica remembers clearly coming here at least once a week, “I never saw you…”

“I recently purchased this place. I was abroad for a while and then you know came back and bought this place. A lot of good memories.”

Jessica nodded, “Yea…”

Taeyeon looked over to her workers, “Hey we are a bit swamped right now. If you stay a bit, I might be able to take a break…you know, to catch up?”

Jessica looked down at her watch and then back up to Taeyeon, “Ah yea. I was just about to get a seat.”

“Cool. I will find you in a bit.”

Jessica nodded as she thought about a meeting she could miss, “Kim Taeyeon…who would have thought.” Giggling to herself, Jessica sat by the window, “honestly she hasn’t aged a bit.”

While waiting for Taeyeon, Jessica spent her time cancelling a meeting and reading emails.

“Hey. I brought you this.”

Jessica closed her phone to see a pastry in front of her, “Oh you didn’t have to.”

Taeyeon waved it off, “I wanted to. I can tell you are not eating properly.”

Jessica giggled a little too loud, “I am a little stressed at the moment.”

“Work?”

“Yes.” Although that was the last thing Jessica wanted to talk about right now.

“I am sure you will fight through it. I know when you are determined, you will get your way.”

Jessica smiled at her old friend, but she bit her lip before saying something she’d regret.

“So what are you doing back at our old school?”

“I come here only for coffee…”

Taeyeon laughed, “Really? I have a feeling you work downtown…that is a 30 minute train ride away. Our coffee must be very good.”

“Not only the coffee, but the memories. I come over when I need time away to think things through. I don’t know why but this place gets me back into my A game.”

Taeyeon leaned back in her chair, “Same, but I didn’t want to leave those memories and bought this place.”

Jessica hid behind her coffee blushing, but the sweet moment was interrupted by her phone. She wanted to ignore it but it was her client again, “Sorry but I have to take this.”

Taeyeon smiled disappointedly, “Of course. I should get back to work anyway. Come back again soon!”

Jessica waved her friend off before getting back to her call, “Yes. Ah yes I can make that work.”

---------------------

The next day Jessica was trying to work but every few minutes, she would think about Taeyeon. Her bright smile and infective personality hasn’t changed causing feelings she thought she forgot to resurface.

“Jessica-ssi!”

Jessica turned around to see her classmate run up to her, “Oh Taeyeon-ssi.”

Taeyeon stopped to catch her breath, “Why are…you walking so fast?”

Pointing ahead, “My class is across campus.”

Taeyeon stood up and looked around, “Ah mine too. Let’s walk together.”

Jessica giggled, “Taeyeon-ssi why would you be going to the music building?”

“I sing…”

Jessica giggled, “Do you now?”

Taeyeon stood up straight, “I do. I could have been a professional singer in another life.”

“Taeyeon-ssi I would be willing to pay to see that.”

Taeyeon coughed, “Should I crown you as my first fan?”

Jessica giggled as she bumped Taeyeon’s shoulder, “I haven’t even heard you sing yet! How can I be your fan?”

“Fine!” Taeyeon proclaimed, “Karaoke 8pm tonight! Don’t be late!”

Jessica shook her head as she watched Taeyeon run to the opposite side of campus, “How did you know I would say yes?”

Jessica laughed to herself remembering how their friendship started, “In the end, she was a really great singer. I wonder if that was what she was doing overseas?”

A knock came at her door before a tall woman entered, “Ms. Jung I have the contract you requested.”

Jessica took the manila folder from her secretary, “Thank you Miss Choi.” The secretary bowed and was about to leave but Jessica stopped her, “Wait…can you clear my schedule tomorrow morning?”

“You have 3 meetings. You want me to cancel them all?”

“Just reschedule. Say I am sick or something. I need to go somewhere.”

“Yes Ms. Jung.” The secretary bowed one more time and left.

Jessica opened the folder to see the newly printed contract, but she looked at it in a haze. Her mind too distracted to be productive that day so she took her coat and left early.

 

Walking around the river, Jessica smiled as she enjoyed watching the sun set over the water, “I should have kept in contact with her…” Looking down, Jessica knew she had a lot of regrets near the end of her school year.

“Sica! Sicccaaa! Come here I need a picture!”

Jessica turned away from her parents and skipped over to Taeyeon, “I thought you left already.”

“What no? I need to properly say goodbye to you before you go to America.” Taeyeon gave her friend a quick hug, “You better call me all the time.”

Jessica felt herself melt into the hug, “Of course. You are like my bestest friend.”

Taeyeon released from the hug and held the camera up, “Smile.”

Jessica sighed as she looked at the old photo in her hands, “It is all my fault. If I didn’t move…”

Closing her eyes, Jessica breathed in deeply, “When I think about it, she was always finding me and making plans to have fun. I did nothing.” A lone tear went down her face, “I was the worst and in the end you moved when I came back from America.”

Wiping away her tears, Jessica put the photo in her pocket and continued her walk around the park knowing she was going to try and make it right tomorrow.

---------------------

Taeyeon was wiping tables early in the morning as the whiff of freshly brewed coffee consumed the shop. With the usual morning crowd gone, Taeyeon found the shop nearly empty so she sat down at one of the tables she just cleaned and took out her sketchbook.

Ready to draw to kill the time, Taeyeon opened her book to a random page that just happened to have an old sketch with Jessica’s face staring back at her, “Still beautiful.”

“Taeyeon did you finish your paper on art history?”

Taeyeon quickly shut her sketchbook, “My art what?”

Jiyoung laughed, “you are always drawing in that book. You know we have other work for art than just drawing right? Midterms?”

“Oh that. I umm was going to do something about contemporary art.”

“You haven’t started.”

“I was thinking of starting,” Taeyeon giggled, but I have all these ideas for my senior exhibit that I needed to get them drawn out before I lose my inspiration.”

“You are like every other classmate ignoring their Midterm.” Jiyoung laughed, “Good luck with fitting in your inspiration and graduation.”

Taeyeon smiled as she waved off her classmate before she carefully opened the sketchbook back up and smiled, before looking across the library at her muse, “I’ll tell you soon.”

The bell to the café ringed and Taeyeon looked up as if her sketchbook came to life, “Sica…”

Jessica looked around and spotted Taeyeon at the table, “Hi.”

Taeyeon shut her book, “You are back.”

Jessica smiled, “I almost forgot that you were an art major in college. You never let me see any of your art.”

“I did invite you to my senior art exhibit, but you never came…” Taeyeon looked down at her notebook remembering all the photos she wanted to show Jessica.

Jessica leaned back and tried to think back, “I don’t remember you inviting me.”

Taeyeon looked up at Jessica, “I did. I left you an invitation a few days before in your dorm.”

Jessica shook her head, “I never got it. Why didn’t you just invite me in person?”

Taeyeon frowned, “I guess I should have.”

“Don’t look so depressed. I can see it right now.”

Jessica started to reach for the notebook, “No!” Taeyeon swiftly took her notebook and hugged it, “I-I mean these are just rough sketches…an artist never shows unfinished work…”

Jessica giggled at Taeyeon, “Okay, but if you do have a show in the future. Invite me in person okay?”

“Deal.” Taeyeon smiled, “Did you want something to drink?”

“Americano.” Jessica crossed her legs, poised.

Taeyeon couldn’t help but look down and coughed, “y-yes right up.”

Jessica watched Taeyeon fumble out of her chair and run to the back to get her coffee. Amused, Jessica leaned forward and watched Taeyeon at work, “cute.”

--------------------------

It was late at night when Taeyeon was going through all the boxes in the backroom of the café, “Ms. Kim I am heading out.”

Taeyeon looked up at her worker, “Okay. Get home safe.”

“Is that your artwork?”

Taeyeon looked at some of the paintings and pulled out a small one, “Before coming here, I traveled around Europe painting on commission, but this one here. I saw the most beautiful sunset in my whole life that I couldn’t part with it.”

The worker squatted down to get a better look at some of the artwork, “It is breathtaking. Will you put any of this up at the café? The college crowd likes café with an artsy edge.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Eventually. A friend of mine came in today suggesting I do an art show, but most of those art shows are to have people buy your art. All this art here…are my memories and I can’t part with it.”

The worker looked rummaged around the boxes, “I can tell you right now, that this art is being wasted by sitting here in the boxes. Whatever you choose to do with it is your choice, but I can tell you right now, these paintings don’t deserve to be in our storage room.”

Taeyeon smiled as she looked at some of her work, “You are right.”

“If you choose some out, I will hang them up with you tomorrow.”

Taeyeon laughed, “okay. Get home safe.”

“Goodnight Ms. Kim.”

Taeyeon waved the kid off before getting up to open another box in the corner labeled Senior Art Show. Carefully Taeyeon opened the box and pulled out a few of the frames, “I don’t think I can put these up.”

Taeyeon wore a stunning red dress, with pearl earrings. She was nervous to show off her art to her pears but more so nervous to have one girl see her work for the first time.

“Taengoo!”

Taeyeon grimaced at the nickname, “Hi Sunny, Hyoyeon and Steph.”

“Wow you look gorgeous.”

“Did she ever own a dress? Where are your hoodies?”

Taeyeon shoved her friends, “All artists need to look nice once a year.”

“Are these all yours?” Taeyeon followed behind her friends in the exhibit, “No all the seniors are showing their stuff today.”

“We just came to see you. Where is your exhibit?”

Taeyeon waved them over, “Here.”

Nervously, Taeyeon watched as her friends go through her area, hoping they wouldn’t recognize the girl in every painting.

After her friends were done, they gave Taeyeon a huge bear hug, “Taengoo! You are so talented!”

“All these were so pretty!”

Taeyeon finally shook off her friends, “You really think so?”

Steph gave her a thumbs up, “Amazing. Absolutely amazing.”

“I liked the theme. That girl in all the photos was interesting. Even if we couldn’t see her face, it was like we saw every part of her as we went from photo to photo.”

Taeyeon was smiling as an idiot, “Thanks.”

“So who is your muse?”

Taeyeon knew her friends were just joking but her whole face turned bright red, “N-no muse.” Although Taeyeon was secretly taking glances at the door waiting for her muse to come in, but as that night progressed, Taeyeon was just left with her in the paintings.

Taeyeon shut the box again and pushed it to the back of the storage closet, “She doesn’t need to know.”

--------------------

The next time Jessica came to the café, she was shocked. The café transformed within a week to what looked like an art gallery, “wow…” She was supposed to be getting coffee, but Jessica walked around aimlessly around the café looking at every painting in great detail.

Unbeknownst to her, Taeyeon was standing behind the counter watching Jessica walk around her café. She liked to see which paintings she stood around the longest or the cute faces of delight when she came across something she found exceptional.

When Jessica was done, she immediately found Taeyeon and went up to her, “Taeyeon please tell me all those are yours.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Welcome to my art gallery.”

“You were supposed to invite me.”

Taeyeon shrugged, “I wanted this to be a surprise.”

“Taeyeon they are all so beautiful. I wish you didn’t hide your talent from me for so long.”

“I didn’t mean to…also you were really busy with your double major.”

Jessica shook her head, “Sometimes I wish I could go back and do certain things differently. I was so concerned with my future at the time, I ignored people I cared about the most.”

Taeyeon stepped around the counter and rubbed Jessica’s arm, “I don’t think you made any wrong decision. All the choice you made, still let you come back here to where I can find you.” Taeyeon bit her lip wondering if now was the right time, “I do have one extra exhibition I want just you to see.”

Jessica naturally let her hand slide into Taeyeon’s, “I would love to see it.”

Taeyeon softly rubbed Jessica’s hand in her own before leading Jessica to the storage room, “Wait here…sorry I didn’t set it up.”

Jessica sat down on the closest box, “It doesn’t matter. I can wait.”

Taeyeon found the box she was looking through a few days ago and pulled it out, “I wanted you to see these before you went to America, but I didn’t get a chance to. I hope it isn’t too late.”

Jessica smiled gently, “Like I said…I am here now.”

Taeyeon smiled as she found the first painting and pulled it out. One by one Taeyeon lined the room with pictures from her senior art exhibit.

Jessica looked over the paintings to the finest detail, but by the time she got to the last picture, tears were starting to stream down her face.

“I had all of these up for you to see all those years ago.”

Jessica wiped away her tears and sniffled, “I feel so stupid.”

Taeyeon walked over and also wiped a few tears away, “Why would you say that?”

“I wasn’t there when you clearly made these just for me.”

Taeyeon gave her a lopsided smile, “You are here now…so I can ask you now. Do you like them?”

“Like? I love them.”

Giving her brightest smile, Taeyeon wrapped Jessica in the warmest hug, “Thanks for being my muse.”

Jessica wrapped her arms around Taeyeon too, “Can I still be it? Your muse?”

Taeyeon giggled before releasing the hug and cupping Jessica’s face, “Who said you stopped?” Not wasting the moment, Taeyeon leaned in and captured Jessica’s lips. It was a moment she waited years to do and in that moment all the paintings and drawings she did of Jessica flashed before her eyes causing her heart to swell with feelings she suppressed.

Jessica smiled into the kiss until Taeyeon backed away, “Thank you.”

Taeyeon burst out into a laughter, “why the sudden thanks?”

“Thanks for loving me back.”

Taeyeon pecked Jessica’s lips before hugging her, “You know I bought this café hoping you would come back again. I sold hundreds of paintings just to get back to you.”

Jessica shook her head, “You didn’t need to do that. If you just came to find me in person, at anytime you could have had me back.”

“I did now that I have a proper art exhibit.”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a light hit, “Stupid. I should have come sooner.”

Taeyeon smiled and gave Jessica several small kisses, “all that matters is that I have you now. Today, tomorrow and the next day I know that I will be making coffee and kissing you good morning. Nothing sounds more perfect than that.”

“That sounds decadent. Coffee and kisses.”

 

~END~