Just an Act [Part II]

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon walked down the hallway but as she passed a group of girls, she deliberately shoved Jessica aside with her shoulder. Jessica bit her lip and glared back at the older woman but she kept mum at the other girl who laughed, “Oh what is this?” Looking Jessica up and down, Taeyeon reached out and placed her finger under Jessica’s chin to arch Jessica’s face up, “pathetic.”

Taeyeon released Jessica’s chin and bumped her shoulder one more time into her causing Jessica to fall into the wall. Watching Taeyeon walk past her, Jessica glared at the retreating girl knowing she was helpless to say otherwise.

“CUT!”

With the scene ended, Jessica was quick to rub her shoulder, but this didn’t go unnoticed from prying eyes, “Jessica are you okay? Did I hit it too hard?”

“I am fine.” Jessica tried walking away but Taeyeon caught up with her.

“Are you sure? I know you have sensitive…”

Jessica turned around, “I told you I am fine. You were just playing your part. I get it. If anything, it is better for it to be a bit realistic so I can respond accordingly. If you would excuse me, I have to get ready for the next scene.”

Jessica sighed as she sat across from the mirror getting her makeup retouched, “I think you act more like Eun Ji than Taeyeon.”

Jessica rolled her eyes at her manager who was always butting in, “I don’t know what you are talking about. I am Soo In not Eun Ji.”

“From what I see you are the diva popstar not Taeyeon. Maybe the roles should be reversed.”

“Tiffany…” Jessica rubbed her temples, “are you really my manager? Shouldn’t you be supporting me?”

“I want to but Taeyeon has been very nice the past week yet you continue to brush her aside. Couldn’t you at least hear her out? I think she has a lot to say to you.”

“I don’t want to listen.” Jessica stood up from her chair patting down her outfit, “I should get back on the set.”

“Jessica…just think about it okay? Make this job a little enjoyable.”

Jessica didn’t look back at her manager as she joined her costars back on set. She was glad that her interactions with Taeyeon are kept to a minimum as she acted out most of her scenes with the other actors that played trainees. However, she would catch Taeyeon watching her closely. If she wasn’t on her phone, she was there watching Jessica act.

“Okay that is a wrap for today.”

Jessica rubbed her tired shoulders as she walked back to her manager, “J-Jessica?”

Turning around, Jessica saw her fellow actor, “Hey Yoo Bin.”

“H-hey…” The man looked down shyly, “We are getting together for a drink did you want to join?”

Jessica looked back at Taeyeon who was busy on the phone. There was no way she would come so Jessica smiled happily at the boy, “Of course. Let me just tell my manager.”

The boy looked up in surprise, “Great! We umm will meet outside okay?”

Jessica was all smiles walking back to her manager typing onto her phone, “Dear manager can I go out? We are done right?”

Tiffany looked up at her star, “is that a kind way of asking me to get lost? You know this filming is all you have on your plate the next few days.”

“You can smile or jump up and down for the early leave tonight.”

Tiffany gave Jessica the biggest smile, “of course boss. I am stealing the car so find a ride home.”

Jessica scoffed, “I won’t be driving drunk. I can pay for a cab.”

“Okay I will leave you to your fun parties while I spend the rest of my single night alone catching up on romantic dramas.”

Jessica smiled at the thought of a quiet night, “see you tomorrow.” It took a while for most of the actors to remove stage makeup and return to their normal clothing but once all were gathered, they fit into 3 cars that took them to a karaoke. Most of the actors were decent singers due to the theme of the drama they were acting in. She didn’t know some of these actors had such amazing musical talent but it seemed most of them found acting instead of pursing music.

“First round is on our lead Jessica!”

Jessica had the thought of glaring at the cast for opting her to do the most expensive round but she whipped out her company credit card to pay for the first round. She really did want to get along with the cast but her mind was always occupied by Taeyeon when they were on site. She was glad for once that Taeyeon wouldn’t interfere with her nights’ plans. Well that was until after the 3rd song when a beautiful young lady decided to join the party.

“Sorry I am late.” Taeyeon bowed to her peers before entering.

“Late attendees pay for the next round!”

Jessica chuckled at her clearly broke fellow actor who was apt on not paying a cent to go out and drink. However, that smile turned into a frown when Jessica reminded herself that she was not pleased to see Taeyeon there for she still hated her and all…or the fact that Taeyeon wrapped her arm around a male coworker goofing off. Either way, Jessica was ready to get out of there.

“Jessica where are you going? Use the bathroom after your song!”

Jessica looked back at her female co-star holding the mic and the song she picked out earlier, “Oh right.”

“Wow a private performance by a world class act.” “I feel like I am living every fan’s dreams.” “Woo! The great Jessica Jung!” Jessica was a bit bashful with her colleagues giving her such praise. Sure she was famous and she was used to hearing her fans saying things like this but it was different coming from the team she was going to work with. And then there was Taeyeon who kept her eyes solely on Jessica. There was a lot of pressure to do well.

Trained to sing under such pressure, Jessica closed her eyes and belted out the melancholy love song.

After it passed like a storm

And I opened my eyes

You’re no longer here

I realize

 

I truly believed you

I was such a fool

Now only useless feelings remain

As I’m tied up with the memories

 

Don’t say it’s a beautiful farewell

Because it’s really selfish

Because it makes me have hope

Although it’s not for you

It wasn’t until the song ended that Jessica realized tears fell down her face. With such a powerful performance, the onlookers remained silent wondering if to comfort, clap or cry along with her. Wiping away her tears, Jessica was the one to break the heavy silence, “excuse me.”

Not wanting to stay in the suffocating room anymore Jessica wiped away her tears as she ran to the bathroom. It was strange that Taeyeon was the only face she could see when her eyes closed. Why did that woman have to invade her mind over and over again?

A knock came on the door shortly after Jessica rubbed away all her tears fixing her mascara, “Jessica are you okay?”

Jessica wanted to bang her head on the wall. Why was it always Taeyeon coming for her? “I am fine.”

“Umm everyone is worried about you. Are you sure…that song…did it…never mind.”

Jessica opened the door suddenly causing Taeyeon to tumble backwards, “It is just a song. I am coming back now.” Jessica didn’t wait to see if Taeyeon was following behind her, but Jessica didn’t want her face to give away the truth about that song and why she wrote those lyrics.

The rest of the night the actors sang the night away and Jessica tried to forget her past even though she was singing right in front of her.

-----------------------

“Taeyeon and Jessica on set!”

Jessica’s makeup artist finished applying blush before Jessica stood across from Taeyeon. Like usual, Taeyeon gave Jessica a reassuring smile but Jessica chose not to reciprocate.

“Action!”

Taeyeon’s face turned more serious as she put herself into the role, “What are you doing here? This is for artists only.”

Jessica never once saw Taeyeon as an intimidating person with her warm smiles but the arched eyebrow and stern voice brang chills through her veins, “I just thought…”

Taeyeon walked forward and started poking Jessica’s finger who retreated with each push, “I said get out.”

Jessica was quick to swat away the finger from her shoulder and glared at the artist, “I won’t!”

Taeyeon laughed at her face, “You won’t? Who do you think you are?”

Jessica stood her ground before the door eyeing off Taeyeon as the camera moved closer to her face and then back out, “Cut!”

Jessica let out a breath of relief with the heated situation dissipated, “Wow Jessica I thought you were going to let Taeyeon have it.”

Jessica peaked over at Taeyeon who had her uniform readjusted, “I never saw Taeyeon that angry before…she is really good.”

“Yea who knew when she jokes around set so much like a kid.”

Jessica smiled at the thought of Taeyeon’s infectious laughter.

“Eeek! Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon was nearly on the ground laughing her head off although Jessica was ready to cry.

Jessica got up and gave Taeyeon a few smacks on her arm, “You know I hate spiders!”

Taeyeon chuckled a little bit more before trying to sooth the upset girl, “I didn’t know you were that afraid. It was just a little prank.”

Jessica was still frowning at the other woman but she knew she couldn’t stay mad at the other woman who’s smile alone could bring her to puddy, “you are so mean.”

Taeyeon wrapped her arm around Jessica’s shoulder, “oh okay no more spiders. I am sorry.”

Jessica spun out of Taeyeon’s grasp, “No bugs.”

Taeyeon reached for Jessica’s hands and linked their pinkies, “No more bugs.”

“No cucumber, melon…”

Taeyeon giggled, “I get it I won’t prank you although your scared face is so cute.”

Jessica stood there shocked at Taeyeon’s confession.

Jessica looked down at her pinky finger wondering if that is why Taeyeon is so playful with the others and not her, “Jessica are you going on set?”

Looking up, all eyes were on Jessica who blushed in embarrassment, “sorry.”

The actors got back into position with Jessica across from Taeyeon in such close proximity, it was suffocating, “Action!”

“Who do you think you are?”

“I am an artist just like you at this company. There is nothing saying I can’t use these practice rooms.”

“Do you think I will ever let you become an artist here?”

“Just because you are Korea’s number one soloist, that doesn’t give you the power to reverse a debut. The company will decide my future.”

“Oh yea? Well I made this company and I pay for your food and housing. I think you owe me a lot more than you think I owe you. You wouldn’t even be able to stand before me if I didn’t have 6 number 1 albums, all those awards and several successful tours. What have you done for this company but eat our food, spend our money and talk back to your seniors. Right now you are nothing.”

Jessica held her training bag outside of SM Entertainment wondering how her life turned around in a few sentences. Not only was she not debuting, she no longer had a company. What was left? Everything she knew was in this company. In this moment, all she could do was blame a Kim Taeyeon for having nothing.

Although tears were not scripted, Jessica couldn’t hold back the flood of fresh wetness streaming down Jessica’s face that caused Taeyeon to break character, “Sica…” Jessica was going to wipe the tears away but Taeyeon was already there wiping them away, “was I too harsh?”

Jessica shook her head wondering how so many other feelings overcame her. She needs to stop thinking such useless thoughts although the director was praising Jessica for her amazing acting. The production was put on halt for Jessica to collect herself but the whole time she didn’t notice Taeyeon taking glances at the star.

----------------------------

Nearly a month later, the director was huddling around the two stars going over the final scenes, “Girls this is the big turnaround in the whole drama. We will also record the song to include on the OST when the show wraps up. Nothing has to be perfect here but you two need to show that the hatred turns into friendship.”

Jessica read over the lines over and over again wondering if she could pull this off. Her character and Taeyeon’s character really didn’t want to do this duet together but the duet brings them closer. How to act that out was still a mystery to her but she hoped the director would give her some pointers after the first take.

Taeyeon was already on set sitting down with the headphones on her head, “Jessica you should put these on…you know to umm make it more convincing.”

Jessica didn’t need to argue so she took the headphones and placed them over her neck before taking the sheet music, “Alright girls Action!”

Taeyeon was leaning against the couch in the recording booth, “Let’s get this over with.”

Jessica sighed, “Can’t you at least be a bit more enthusiastic or professional about this?”

“Look I was ordered to do this but I don’t want to do anything related with you.”

“Well you better get used to this because you will have to do several appearances with me singing this duet.”

Taeyeon stood up and snapped the music out of Jessica’s hands, “I said let’s just get this over with.”

Jessica knew she couldn’t change the other woman’s attitude so she the track which flowed through her headphones. On que, Jessica belt out the notes but suddenly stopped with the music. Taking off her headphones, Jessica looked back at Taeyeon who pulled the plug, “what was that for?”

Taeyeon walked up to Jessica and reached over to the sheet music, “try this note instead. It will flow better.”

Jessica wondered what Taeyeon was up to but she chose to follow her advice and sang the song with a slightly different key making the song flow perfectly. Eventually Taeyeon came up next to Jessica and sang her part in perfect harmony with Jessica. It was like their voices were dancing together perfectly in sync.

Jessica was hunched in the corner writing all over her music sheet wondering if she was ever going to be ready for the next showcase.

“There you are.”

Jessica looked up and smiled at the woman who sat down next to her, “Are you ready?”

Taeyeon smiled, “I think so how about you?”

Jessica was quick to frown, “It is my first-time soloing…I am a bit nervous. I always thought I was better in a group.”

Taeyeon looked over all the notes on Jessica’s papers, “Don’t worry too much. I am sure we will be in a group together, but the teachers just want to see how we individually progressed. No big deal. This won’t affect what goes on the future. Everyone knows you are one the best singers in the company.”

“I am not the best like you.”

Taeyeon gave out a nervous chuckle, “I wouldn’t say I am the best but I will try hard to be.”

It was never easy for Jessica. She worked hard on getting the dance moves right and practiced her singing late into the night. Then there was Taeyeon who was a naturally gifted singer and could pick up the dance moves easily which is amazing with no prior dance experience like Jessica. There were times when Jessica was envious of Taeyeon but then again there was Taeyeon always by her side trying to make her better.

“Can I see what you are performing?” Jessica nodded and handed over her papers to Taeyeon who sang out a few lines, “Do you mind if I make a few changes? I think there will be more impact here adding a sharp with your vocal style.” Writing a few things on the paper, Taeyeon handed it back to Jessica, “try singing it out.”

Of course Jessica tried but she was having trouble hitting the notes right so Taeyeon coached her and sang along. Eventually, the pair finished off the song together making Jessica think they should just be in a group as a duet. If it was just her and Taeyeon taking on the entertainment industry, Jessica felt invincible.

“There you go! You could beat me at the showcase…should I be nervous?”

Jessica laughed and shoved Taeyeon’s shoulder, “yea right…”

Taeyeon turned at looked at Jessica with solemn eyes, “I mean it. I wish you would know how great you are.” Jessica ducked her face under her bangs but Taeyeon was leaning in to lift Jessica’s face up, “I wish everyone could see how amazing you are just like I see.” It wasn’t planned nor was there a confession, but Jessica felt the world become complete with the touch of Taeyeon’s lips on her own. Taeyeon poured in all her feelings in that one moment which made Jessica feel like the earth stopped spinning and it was just them two having perfect harmony of the heart.

Taeyeon stood there shocked with Jessica kissing her. In fact, the whole studio was stunned at the sudden kiss. Although it was a few seconds, Jessica quickly pulled away, “I…ah…”

Taeyeon didn’t know what to say to rectify the situation, but the director cut through the thick atmosphere with a “Cut.”

Jessica was the first one to jump off the set and to her dressing room. Trying not to let this situation go to waste, Taeyeon apologized quickly to the staff before running after Jessica. Luckily, Jessica didn’t lock the door to her dressing room, “Sica…”

Tiffany was there trying to dry away the tears, “Taeyeon can you just leave her alone? Haven’t you done enough damage by taking this job. Now look what you did! How are we to explain this to everyone huh?”

“I will take care of it. Please let me talk to Jessica alone? Just a few minutes.”

Tiffany was going to say ‘hell no’ but Jessica was willing to finally hear Taeyeon out, “Tiffany just go.”

“But Jess…”

“Tiffany…” Jessica glared at her manager before she left to a very curious crowd around set.

Alone, Taeyeon sat down on a chair next to Jessica who was sniffling away the last of her tears, “Sica…”

“I didn’t mean it.”

“Then why did you kiss me?”

Jessica shook her head, “Just old memories…I got confused.”

“I didn’t expect you to do that but can I say that was very happy? I still love you even if you hate me.”

“Don’t get used to it. Lack of judgment. I still hate you.”

Taeyeon chuckled at the pouting girl in front of her, “After you left the company, I wanted to talk to you but you cut all contact. Every time you were promoting, I tried going to your dressing room but I was turned away with a clear indication that a ‘Kim Taeyeon to never enter’. Sica please tell me what I did wrong?”

“You abandoned me…”

Taeyeon leaned forward to hopefully hold Jessica’s hand, “I would never.”

Jessica swatted Taeyeon’s hand away, “Then why did you debut and not me?!”

Taeyeon bit her lip, “It wasn’t supposed to be that way.”

“Oh yea? The company told me that you agreed on a solo contract dissolving the girl group they were going to promote. You did this Taeyeon!” Jessica stood up and tried walking away but Taeyeon didn’t want to let Jessica go a second time.

“That was a lie! I never said anything like that.”

“Why would the company lie?”

“Sica please sit down.” Jessica looked at Taeyeon again before taking a seat, “I thought I was signing a contract with you. They handed me a contract and said that I passed the evaluations. I even asked about you and they said you passed and they would be in contact with you about contracts. I was stupid. I saw the contract and I signed it. Later, when you didn’t come in with me, the manager said that I signed a solo contract and the other girls left the company, including you. I tried breaking out of my contract to go after you, but it wasn’t possible. The company said to me that they were going through hard times and sending out a soloist was all they could do.”

Jessica side-eyed Taeyeon, “I don’t believe you. How could you be so stupid and not read the contract?”

“I don’t know! When we were younger all we talked about were contracts and debuting. Both came up and I assumed you were going with me. I was young and stupid…if I could go back into time, I would have never signed it because I never wanted to lose you.”

“Tae…”

Taeyeon finally reached forward to hold Jessica’s hand, “Please…I took this job to get you back. When you started ignoring me it broke my heart…please don’t push me away again.”

Jessica felt the heat of Taeyeon’s hands and that was when Jessica knew she couldn’t stay mad at Taeyeon, “You are stupid.”

“I know…” Taeyeon sighed, “but can you find it in your heart to love this idiot again?”

Jessica looked into Taeyeon’s eyes and saw the love that was always there even though she chose to ignore it all these months, “I don’t think I ever stopped.”

Taeyeon smiled wider than she ever did before and then she kissed her because she knew all along that Jessica only hated her because she still loved her more than anything.

 

 

 

~END~