Sing Me a Song

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

“Take 19...Taeyeon raise your pitch.”

The girl huffed in frustration that she couldn’t get the approval of her producer, but she could only bite the inside of her cheek and breathe in a few times, “I got it.”

After several more takes, the producer allowed the girl to have a break which she took graciously wondering if she could ever get this song finished by the time her company planned the release of her album. Taeyeon pulled off her headphones and went over to get water and relax on the sofa in the studio. She watched as the producer talked behind the soundproof glass to the audio engineer trying to forget the echoing of his voice saying ‘cut’ every 5 seconds.

Turning her attention to her phone, Taeyeon scrolled down her Instagram wondering if she should give her fans an update. They should know by now that she is in preparation for another album but she should call the company first...maybe that would be too much work so she pocketed her phone and looked back up to the sound booth, however, the older man was replaced by a beautiful young woman.

Although a successful singer herself and named one of the top 10 beauties in the world, Taeyeon was in awe at how beautiful this girl was. Maybe this girl was a rookie singer or a model? She never kept up with fashion so she wouldn’t know if the girl was in a different part of the entertainment industry. However the girl hugged the producer before giving him a kiss on the cheek and leaving which made Taeyeon even more curious to the girl’s relation with the producer.

“Taeyeon are you ready to start again?”

Taeyeon jumped a bit in shock as she heard the evil producer’s voice echoing in her room. Of course she wasn’t ready for another 20 takes but this was her job. Not all of it could be glamorous.

-------------------------

Falling face first into her pillows, Taeyeon didn’t have any energy left after a full day of recording. Worst of all, she had to do the same thing tomorrow and possibly the day after since they only got about half of the song done. Was she really doing so bad this time? Most other producers were amazed at her vocals and they would get done in about 5 takes. What was she doing wrong this time?

Rolling onto her back, Taeyeon looked up at the ceiling as another memory came to mind. The mysterious beauty behind in the sound booth...who was she exactly?
 

Once again, Taeyeon was in the recording booth. She spun around on her chair doing vocal exercises as the producer was in a morning meeting causing him to come a bit late. As she grunted and flexed , she heard a faint giggle. Looking up in the booth, she saw the girl again.

“Please...don’t mind me.”

Taeyeon was surprised the girl the mic to talk to her and she felt embarrassed that that girl saw her doing strange faces, “Umm I am just warming up.”

The girl flipped the switch to talk to Taeyeon again, “I could guess. I saw some of your recording yesterday.”

Taeyeon rubbed the back of her neck as her face flushed, “I should apologize. I am sure I was sounding awful.”

“No it was beautiful.”

Taeyeon looked up at the girl who was smiling angelically back at her, “But I was here recording for nearly 6 hours...on like 3 lines. I must have sounded bad.”

The girl giggled, “No. I thought each time you sounded perfect.” The girl could see the artist look down at her feet like she did wrong, “Don’t mind daddy. I don’t think he is making you record because you are bad. Trust him. Your song will turn out perfect.”

Taeyeon looked up in shock, “Daddy?”

“Oh I thought you would know...producer Jung is my father.”

Shaking her head, “I didn’t know he had a daughter.”

“He does...I am Jessica by the way.”

“I am...”

“Kim Taeyeon. I know. Daddy raves about you. I umm also know some of your songs.”

Taeyeon gave an awkward smile as she didn’t know to smile in joy or frown from embarrassment, “Really?”

“Your voice...your voice is not enough for words. I feel like I can get lost in your music.” Jessica looked down and played with her fingers.

“Wow...umm thanks.” Taeyeon had many fans who would tell her things like this but when Jessica told her, she felt like the words were more meaningful. “If you are a fan...did you want an autograph or something?”

“Oh...I don’t need anything like that...really.”

“For a fan, I will do anything.”

Jessica thought for a while, “A song. Any song...just sing for me. That is enough of a gift.”

Taeyeon was shocked that was all the girl wanted. Most fans would have jumped on an opportunity for a selfie or a signed album yet Jessica wanted something so simple like a song. At the moment, Taeyeon only had the lyrics of her latest song stuck in her head, “Would you like to hear the full song? You would be the first.”

Jessica’s eyes sparkled with anticipation, “hold on. I will play the track.”

“You know how to work the equipment?”

“Simple.” Taeyeon looked at the girl in amazement as she flipped through a few switches, “Ready?”

Taeyeon adjusted herself and put on her headphones, “Ready.”

Jessica smiled as she started the instrumental. She watched in amazement as the singer closed her eyes and became immersed into the song as the love song could make anyone melt with Taeyeon’s velvety vocals.

When  the song ended with the simple, “I love you,” Taeyeon looked up at Jessica who was also looking into her eyes. She wondered if the song was just for Jessica as the song finished...

Jessica smiled, “That was amazing and I have it all recorded.”

Taeyeon looked up in surprise, “What?!” Glancing above she saw the red light shut off as the recording ended, “Why did you record?”

Jessica smiled, “You will thank me later. See you around Taeyeon and thanks for the song.”

Taeyeon was flabbergasted as she watched the girl leave and not a moment later, she saw the producer and audio engineer enter, “Taeyeon that is all the recording we need for today. See you tomorrow.”

“Huh?”

“You can leave. I have what I needed for today.”

“But we didn’t record?”

“You just did with my daughter. I got everything in that one take.”

Still in shock, Taeyeon gathered her things to leave. Did that girl just trick her?

------------------------

The next day, Taeyeon couldn’t help but shift her eyes across the studio from time to time as she searched for a particular girl. However, this lack of focus on the song, made the producer yell cut more times than she could imagine and some harsh words that she wasn’t focusing, but she figured she deserved it. She wasn’t focused. Taeyeon could only think of Jessica.

“Taeyeon I don’t think this will do for today.”

Taeyeon looked up at the producer now talking to her in the studio, “Sorry...”

“Sorry? Does this new album mean nothing to you? We are all working hard here and here you are practically day dreaming!” Taeyeon wanted to shrivel into a ball as the man continued to yell at her, “And here I thought you were a professional.”

Taeyeon had no rebuttal for her behavior. She knew where her mind was and it wasn’t on the music.

“Just get out. I will talk to your agency.”

With the mention of her agency, Taeyeon felt cold to the bone. Why would Jessica make her lose her professionalism and distract her so much? Maybe she needed to meet her again or something like that to make things clear. She still wasn’t certain what happened the other day and was still guessing to what game Jessica was playing. It ate her alive the night before and apparently was still affecting her today.

Seeing as she basically got kicked out of the recording studio, Taeyeon proceeded to pack up her things to leave, “Wow I have never seen dad get so mad before.”

Taeyeon nearly jumped out of her skin with a familiar voice behind her, “Huh?”

“I could see him yelling at someone new maybe...but you surprised me Kim Taeyeon. Never in a million years would I expect him to do that to you. Something going on?”

Underlying that sarcastic tone, Taeyeon could hear some sincerity to Jessica’s words, “Just things...on my mind these days.”

“Oh? Care to share? I am a great listener.”

How was Taeyeon to explain that it was she who was the distraction, “Umm I was just wondering about yesterday.”

Jessica leaned forward, “what about yesterday?”

“You never really wanted to hear me sing right? It was just a rouse?”

Jessica sighed as she leaned back on the door, “Well yes and no. I mean I am your fan truly! And your voice is amazing, but daddy did ask for some help. He said you weren’t getting your feelings through and he thought if he just let you sing, that you could really show that.”

“I see...so it was just a rouse.” Taeyeon did feel a bit disappointed that the girl was just playing her yesterday, “Anyway, I should get going.”

Jessica saw that the girl had her head hung low, “Wait...I umm can we start over? I didn’t mean for our first meeting to be like a trick or something like that...”

Taeyeon looked up to meet the girl’s eyes, “Does it matter? When I am done here, I doubt we would meet again.”

Jessica sighed as she saw the girl’s reluctance but she could only let the smaller girl pass since it was her that caused all this confusion to begin with.

------------------------

After three days, Taeyeon found herself picking at the strings of her hoodie while she sat on the sofa in a familiar recording room. Her agency had given her a hell of a talking and they told her that they had to beg the producer to finish the recording so basically, at this moment she felt like . Having a producer that basically hates her, recording her song was the last thing she wanted to deal with amongst heavy schedules right before her album release.

“Hey.”

Taeyeon lifted her head to see Jessica walking in, “Hey.”

Handing Taeyeon a cup of hot water, “I know you said that we would never see each other after this but can it not be that way?” Taeyeon tilted her head in confusion, “I mean...well you see...I want to see you again.”

Taeyeon was actually dumbfounded. She had no word to say back.

“I know you think I tricked you but I do really enjoy hearing you sing and you could say that I am interested in knowing the mask behind the singer or something like that.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Umm alright.”

Finally seeing a smile on Jessica’s face, “Really?”

Taeyeon couldn’t hide the smile on her face either, “Sure but before that...do you want to hear a different song?”

Jessica stood there blankly for a second, “Ah yea. Of course.”

Taeyeon cleared her voice for a second and then started singing.

Then there’s you

At the end of my dry world

Oh, it’s you

You became sweet rain and made it wet

For a long time, deep inside my heart

I hid these precious words

I love you

Oh, then there’s you.

“Jessica...I think I like you. I can’t stop thinking about you since we met...”

Jessica wasn’t sure to be in amazement from the heavenly voice she just heard or because of Taeyeon’s sudden confession.

“But I am sure I have feelings for you. If you want to start over with me, I honestly would say that I don’t want it to be as friends.”

Jessica her dry lips as she in precious air, “Always unexpected Kim Taeyeon...”

Taeyeon furrowed her brows, “Good or bad unexpected?”

Jessica walked closer to the girl until she was close enough to whisper in her ear, “When ever was your singing bad?”

Taeyeon looked back up at the girl, “S-should I sing another song?”

Jessica shook her head no, before she gave Taeyeon a soft kiss on her lips, “Let’s just enjoy the silence.” Because Jessica never had the intention of only being friends with Taeyeon too.

 

~END~

 

 


Author's Note

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAEYEON!!! Since it is 3-09 KST, here is my Taengoo Day one-shot! Let's celebrate a girl who can be cute, y, and dorky! My SNSD bias,the one and only Kim Taeyeon!