After Midnight

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

Taeyeon was washing her face getting ready for bed when her doorbell rang. At first she thought nothing of it because it was after midnight, who in their right mind would be out at this time, but the buzz continued and became more urgent. Quickly drying her face, Taeyeon ran over to the intercom to see who was at her door, but the face on the other end caused her heart to stop. All of a sudden she felt like she was drowning and thrilled at the same time, “Why is she…”

Not knowing what to do, Taeyeon did the most logical thing and that was to buzz her in. She had no words to say, but her body reacted. Suddenly she was panicking inside and outside as she paced the room wondering why she did that. She didn’t have to let her up, she could have asked from a safe distance why she was there, but her subconscious betrayed her.

Then there was a knock. Taeyeon ruffled her hair before going to the door and opening it to see the woman on the other side just as broken as she, “Hey…”

The woman gave out a sad smile, “Hey…”

Moving aside, Taeyeon let the woman into her home. Taeyeon watched as the woman looked around the home, not like it changed the last time she was here, but it felt different. Pictures were gone, some furniture was moved around and a few more awards were put in the bookcase.

Turning around, the woman hugged her petite body, “Taeyeon…”

Her name coming out of caused tears to well up in her eyes, “w-why are you here?” Every word felt like pins and needles stuck in Taeyeon’s throat, fighting to get out. Yet she had an urge to walk a few step forward and wrap the woman in a warm hug. But the other woman did it for her.

Crashing into Taeyeon, the woman clung onto the one thing she was sure of 5 years ago before her life fell apart, “Taeyeon I didn’t know what to do.”

That is when Taeyeon crumbled and she held her, “Jessica…”

Burring her face into Taeyeon’s warm neck she let her tears fall, “I can’t stop thinking about you. Every night…I close my eyes and I see your face. I thought I could ignore it, I thought I could wrap myself up in new projects but I can’t do it anymore.”

Taeyeon held the woman close and said what she wanted to say all these years, “Me too.” It was the first time that Taeyeon felt so defenseless. Like all the walls she built up over the years came crashing down with that one declaration.

“I still love you.”

Then Taeyeon fell down the rabbit hole even further when she finally confessed, “I love you too.”

Whether either of them were dreaming or not in this very moment, each knew this was a love they couldn’t escape from.

 

~END~