camellia

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re a flame in my heart—a burning, passionate one.”

Mr. Anon: It’s been a while since we first texted to each other, hasn’t it?

Me: So what’s your point?

Mr. Anon: I’d like to meet you. I mean, literally.

I have never expected he would want to meet in real life. I mean, till now, we’ve been communicating through KakaoTalk and he just seems to be fine with it. Why all of a sudden does he want to meet me? Are there any ulterior motives behind it?

Me: How about a NO?

I do not mean to be harsh, but I don’t really think meeting him would be a good idea. It’s just not only because of who I am, but what if one of us gets disappointed in the end?

Mr. Anon: Why do you keep playing so hard to get? I’m not one of those human trafficking bastards, you know.

I emit a rather deep sigh as I read his reply. He seems very pissed and devastated at the same time, but there’s nothing I can help with it.

Me: It’s… difficult. It’s just hard for me to explain why.

Mr. Anon: That’s why we need to meet! Just a talk over a cup of coffee, please…?

Me: You know, I was wondering about something.

Mr. Anon: What is it? Spill it.

I burst yet another heavy sigh and just then, a pang of realization hits me.

Me: I’m afraid things are bound to change drastically if we were to meet.

Mr. Anon: May I know why things are bound to change? It’s not that you’re Im Yoona, the popular actress that men are obsessed with!

Me: What if I really am Im Yoona? What would you say?

“Auntie Yoona!” The adorable 5 year-old Oh Daehan shakes my arm, causing me to collect myself together. I put my cell phone aside and dart him a smile.

“What do you want, Daehan?” I say, ruffling his arm lovingly as though he were my son.

He quickly hands me over the remote control. “I want to watch Pororo, but I don’t know the channel!”

“Oh, let me find it for you.” I say and search the kids channel as I jab at some particular button on the remote control.

Truth be told, it is weekend and I thought I would be having a day off by myself, but the heavenly thought disappeared the moment Sehun and Soojung dropped by early this morning with their little son, Daehan.

“Noona, can you help us baby sit Daehan for a day?” Sehun requests, patting the son’s back as though wanting to gaub my sympathy.

I am taken aback. “Where are two going?”

“We’re going to go to a reunion with our high school friends,” chimes in Soojung. “At first we’d asked our parents but they were away from home so yeah… you’re the only one we can reach, unnie.”

“You could’ve just brought him along.” My lips jut out. “It’s not that I don’t want to babysit your son, but it’s my day off. I’d like to own the day myself.”

“Help me this time, noona.” Sehun’s plea makes my heart waver. I honestly can’t stand of having people beg to me. It just shreds my heart into pieces and wants to help them.

Soojung steps forward to squeeze my hand. “We’d want to bring Daehan along, but no kids are allowed during the reunion.”

What the… seriously, those people are so ruthless. How can kids are not allowed to join the reunion? Is it because they are loud and would interrupt them having such sweet hours themselves?

I shoot a quick glance at Daehan. The 5-year old boy looks at his parents back and forth with a puzzled look across his face. He must be wondering what they are talking about.

“Fine,” I say at last, crossing my arms over my chest. “I’ll help you this time. I mean, just this time.” I emphasize the last statement with a stern, boss-like voice.

The young couple’s crestfallen looks change drastically. To my horror, they run into my arms and have my cheeks abused with their violent kisses.

“Stop it!” I push them away and take a backward step. “I’ll babysit Daehan so stop molesting me!”

They burst into big laughter.

“Thanks, noona!” Sehun says brightly. “We owe you a lot!”

“Just tell me anything you want unnie!” Soojung can’t stop grinning. “We’ll make it up to your wish!”

“Just finish your stuff quickly and have Daehan back before 9 PM,” I say. “That’s my wish.”

Oh Sehun, being the head of the family, gives me a sign of reassurance. “Don’t worry, noona! We’ll fetch our son before 9 PM!”

“Good thing, then.”

Soojung, on the other hand, crouches down and says, “Daehan, Mom and Dad are going to leave you with Auntie Yoona. We’ll pick you up tonight, okay?”

Daehan just nods dutifully. “Okay.”

Wow, I’m gobsmacked. Daehan is not like some typical kids who’d cry their eyes out when their parents abandon them.

Sehun brings his beloved son into his arms. “Just don’t make mess in Auntie Yoona’s condo and be a good boy, okay?”

“Don’t worry, Dad.” Daehan smiles proudly. “I won’t make Auntie Yoona mad at me. You two just have fun, okay?”

“Daehan, Pororo’s just finished airing!” I say as I open the channel, and the ending song of the cartoon blasts out along with the credits.

Daehan seems pretty upset as he pouts forlornly. “Ah, really? I thought Pororo hadn’t aired yet.”

Wanting to lift his mood, I randomly shift the channel and a music show shows up all of a sudden. I must have pressed it randomly.

“I want to watch this channel, Auntie Yoona!”

“Really?” My eyes bulge out like a frog’s. “Do you like this kind of show, Daehan?”

He nods excitedly and sings along to the song. It’s currently A Pink on the stage making their comeback stage with ‘LUV’. “I like idols!” he cries. “They are all handsome and pretty.”

“Like them?” I point to them. “You like A Pink?”

“I like them especially the one who sings the chorus,” he says. “I don’t remember her name, though.”

Kids these days really surprise me. “Oh, you mean, Jung Eunji?”

“Yes!”

“I’ve once worked with her, by the way,” I say matter-of-factly. She made a cameo appearance in my movie last year.

With that big eyes, Daehan gawks at me incredulously. “Really, Auntie Yoona? You must be so lucky! I really like her so much!”

I nod, beaming at him. “Eunji noona must be lucky to have you as her fan.”

We continue watching some other performances and the moment Jongdae’s performance appears, my head jerks up in shock. I just had a heart palpitation.

Maybe, I really like you,

You hugged me,

Who was quietly smiling, baby.

Hearing the first few notes when he starts singing along with such rowdy applauses from the fans, I become completely immersed in his performance and couldn’t take my eyes off him. He looks really charming with the navy blue suit with striped tee inside and posh hairstyle.

I read from the comments on Twitter that today is his goodbye stage. It has been a month since his comeback promotion and now, he will wrap it up here. Despite his last appearance on music shows, he is still nominated for the 1st place.

“Do you know him too, Daehan?” Feeling indisputably delighted, I shoot him a random question. “You like idols, don’t you?”

He seems in deep thought, conceivably trying to rack his brain to bring his face to mind.

“Isn’t he… from EXO?” He his head to the other side. “Right, Auntie Yoona?”

“He was.” I grin. “Now he’s a soloist.”

“Are you close with him too, Auntie Yoona?”

My grin widens and a massive jolt of exhilaration washes over my face. “Well… kind of.”

     

Me: What if I really am Im Yoona? What would you say?

I have been occasionally staring at the screen for like, an hour or something, but I still receive nothing. He’s yet to reply—or maybe, he’s speechless after reading my reply. He must be thinking that I’m being serious. But, if he knows that, he should be texting me a reply as soon as possible, shouldn’t he?

Disappointed and eventually giving up on waiting for his reply, I make my way to the kitchen and take out ingredients that I need in order to make a Pavlova.

Daehan loves Pavlova to bits so that’s why I’m thinking of making one. The thought occurred to me on the spur of the moment, though. Much to my luck, I have all the required ingredients except kiwi. It’d look more lavish with kiwis, but I only have strawberries in the fridge.

I’m now imagining what his reaction would be once he wakes up from his deep sleep and watches the sight of Pavlova before his eyes.

As I’m in the midst of washing the fruits, my cell phone suddenly rings. Running to the living room to pick it up, I briskly accept the call once I know who the caller is.

“Hello, Jongdae?” A smile reaches my lips, feeling delighted to get a phone call from him. He’s thinking of me, isn’t he?

“Yoona,” comes his heart-melting voice that always haunts my dream. “You’re at home, aren’t you?”

“Yes, today’s my day off,” I say.

“Then, go open the door.”

“Why? Are you here?” I sprint to the doorway. “Are you really here—”

Bamm. He’s really here.

“”What are you doing here, Jongdae?” I ask him as soon as the door flies open.

He stidles up to me, only to reach me into his arms. “I missed you. Isn’t that a good excuse so that I can meet you?”

I just grin in pleasure.

     

“Your cousin’s son is here?” He’s in for a big surprise as we stride to the living room. “What’s he doing here?”

“Their parents went out for a reunion, so they left him to me,” I explain.

“So where’s he?” His eyes glimmer in excitement as he glances around to find a sight of a young boy. “But I don’t see him around, I suppose?”

“He’s sleeping in my room.”

“I see.” He leads to the couch and asks me to join, but I refuse saying I have a work to do in the kitchen.

“You’re doing Pavlova for him, Yoona?” He goes to the kitchen as well. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter