violet

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Forget me not.”

It has been a few days since the breaking news of us dating leaked, and to say my life isn’t a complete wreck, I would be totally lying.

Wacky as it sounds, I think I have to charge my cell phone twice a day because numerous phone calls and text messages keep popping in. My friends, celebrity friends and also, the ones I haven’t been keeping in touch in ages, all of a sudden, phone me. They are all curious to know about my love life, for God’s sake.

I could have just turned it off, but I’d rather have my ears abused by the boisterous ringtone. Why? Don’t ask me because I don’t even know why I did that.

“Yoona! Look here!”

“Tell us more about you and Jongdae!”

“How did you two end up dating? Was it started before the music video?”

“Do you have any comment or thought on the dating news?”

“Rating for ‘Wonderstruck’ has soared higher than usual after the dating news broke! You have become surprisingly popular these days, Yoona! What a superb aftereffect!”

I peer over my shoulder to the fence and flash them a small smile, as if I’m saying “no comment”.

If it hadn’t been for the drama filming, I certainly would have just stayed at home. Not only do I get abused by my cell phone, but also from the annoying reporters, who have made a ruckus every day at the filming set. I thought it would just last a couple of days after the dating news broke, really.

If you were me, you would know how irritating it feels. It certainly feels like you want to grab a big pail of rocks and throw them in their faces.

However, I cannot do that. I’m a celebrity; everyone knows me. If I were just a normal woman, I would have done that sooner. I don’t give a damn to people’s words of mockery. Dating someone has never been a wrong thing to do, hasn’t it? 

As I was about to plug earphones in my ears, Changwook oppa appears at me with an Iced Americano in his hand. He plops down in front of me and gives me a small smile.

“Thanks,” I say, taking a sip of the drink. “So… when you said you were going somewhere during the break, you actually went to the coffee shop?”

He lifts a shoulder. “I’m thirsty.”

“As if the filming crew doesn’t serve us drinks.” I smirk at him. “You had yours, right?”

He nods. “I had one at the coffee shop.” He then flashes his keen eyes at the earth-shattering scene outside the fence. A squirm escapes his lips. “They really are determined, aren’t they?”

“I guess so,” I say. “If they hadn’t been so determined, they would have fled on the first day.”

His gaze turns to me and an apologetic look adorns across his face. “You must have been very strong for these past few days, Yoona,” he comments. “I admire you.”

“I have to.” I laugh a little. “I would’ve kept myself isolated at home if there weren’t drama filming, you know.”

“Just hang on for a few more days, Yoona,” he says. “Our drama’s coming to an end very soon.”

“I know.” I nod, smiling. Ji Changwook oppa has got to be the most awesome advice-giving friend I’ve ever had. “Thanks for that, oppa. Your healing words have perked me up.”

“Don’t mention it. I’m Healer, remember?”

I burst into big laughter, and he joins me a few moments later.

“Seriously though, I’m still bowled over by the fact that you’re actually in a relationship.” He must have been itching to ask me this question. “I was really shocked because, uhm, you know, it was really unexpected! I swear I almost had my cell phone on the floor when I stumbled upon the news!”

“Mine’s worse, oppa. I almost had it cracked,” I say, and I hear his small laugh.

“What did your family say about it, Yoona?” He tilts his head, agog. “Were they shocked as well or were they already aware of the news?”

Okay, I almost forgot about them. I guess it was because I was still traumatized by Sooyoung’s phone call. She snapped at me the moment I accepted her call. She was really mad at me for not telling her about it. Minseok, on the other hand, was pretty fine with it, though he was slightly taken aback. I mean, he never thought his cousin was silently dating his best friend!

“They were shocked, of course,” I say. The first to call me after the news broke was Hyunsik. He was actually in his class when he read the news and snuck to phone me. Mom followed later, and Dad, as you all are aware of it, did not call me. Mom told me about his reaction, though. He knew it through his friend’s daughter and asked Mom to know whether it was true.

“They were cool about it, though. They’re my family, after all. They have got to understand me, don’t they?”

He nods. “I second that. I hope my family will be like that.”

I clamp a hand over my mouth to suppress my laugh. “When you’re dating someone, you mean?”

“Then, do you have anything else on mind?” he asks, giving me a mischievous grin.

I shake my head. “Empty.”

“Good, then.” He lets out a smile of approval. “By the way, where is your manager, Yoona? I believe I have rarely seen him around, but your stylist. He’s just here to send you and pick you up, isn’t he?”

Blood beats in my ears. My ribcage is falling and rising in an inconsistent motion just as the name crosses our conversation.

Heechul oppa.

     

Me: What do I do, Naeun? Heechul oppa’s still not talking to me! It’s been days!

Naeunnie:  Are you kidding me, unnie? I never thought he’d be that stubborn!

Me: Me neither. He’s never acted this way in the past, has he?

It’s really funny when two people who are in the same car yet they are using KakaoTalk to communicate, as though they don’t have cell phones.

Yup, that’s how Naeun and I are doing right now.

Considering the topic revolves around Heechul oppa, who’s obviously driving the car, we can’t just talk to each other about it aloud, can we?

Naeunnie: You’d better talk to him quickly, unnie. That’s the best option you’ve got.

Me: How can I do that when he doesn’t even look and talk to me?!

Naeunnie:  He talks to you, doesn’t he?

Me: Only when there are schedules and important things he’d like to announce.

I really know what Heechul oppa feels, though. If I were him, I would have been pissed as well. I mean, he’s known me for almost a decade, but I still hide things from him. He’s practically like my older brother. Siblings don’t hide things from each other, do they?

It’s not that I haven’t tried talking to him—I tell you, there’s been quite a number of times. However, being totally stubborn as he’s now, he just shrugged me off without a single word of apology escapes my lips.

Naeunnie: Try one more time. Who knows his heart’s going to melt like butter in the sizzling hot pan this time?

Me: Do you think so? Why am I having this thought that he’s still not going to give me no damn?

Naeunnie:  Can you not be pessimistic, unnie? Take a breath and work it out when I get off the car, okay?

     

The atmosphere in the car is surely quite right after Naeun’s hopped off the car. Only the blaring music fills the car. Neither he nor I bothers to speak a word.

What should I say? I ask myself that question. I mean, how should I initiate a question? Should I ask him whether he’s eaten or something?

Wait. That may not be right. That’s not very ingenious. I should ask about something else.

Think Im Yoona, you’re not stupid, are you? You’d better think about a topic to spark a conversation with Heechul oppa—

“We’re here.”

I roll my eyes as I look out of the tinted window. What the hell…? For God’s sake, we’re already at the parking lot of my condo?!

Does that mean I have been squeezing my brain juice for half an hour? And in the end, all my efforts went in vain!

“Aren’t you getting off the car?” he says dryly, slightly looking ove

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter