gardenia

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re so loveable.”

People are kind of right about love. The mood has really changed once I have got myself a boyfriend; I’d always smile anytime and anywhere, and some people would think as if I’ve become a lunatic. And my drama filming has become somewhat easier. Most of the scenes require me and Changwook oppa to be like, emotionally in love in which I reckon that I’ve become better these days. I mean, I’ve become more natural than I used to be before. It’s a good thing, isn’t it?

Ever since that night where he came to my house, I haven’t met him the next day onwards and I think now it’s been about two weeks or something. I miss him so much, seriously.

He’s been very busy lately—not because of his comeback promotion. He has other schedules and some of them require him to fly to all over Asian countries. He phones and texts me often, though. He says he misses me and laments about not having even a single chance to meet me. Going on a date? Well, that’s never going to happen—in this month, at the very least. 

From: Jongdae<3

Let’s go out once I’ve returned to Seoul.

That was his last text before he disappeared to Thailand for a concert.

I know this is what I will get if my boyfriend is a celebrity—like me. I can’t expect him to show up in front of me like, every hour. He’s busy and I understand it.

However, if he can spend some time—at least, fifteen minutes or less—with me, it would have been perfect. I’m longing for him. I missed seeing that adorable cheekbones smile of his, his pair of mischievous eyes, his warm touch, and not to mention, to have his lips brushed against mine. I wonder when I can have those again.

“Earth to…” Naeun runs her finger on my arm before she squeezes mine, as though she’s pinching a bun. “Im Yoona!”

“Ouch!” I wince and snap out of my inner thoughts. I briskly jerk my head up in surprise and shoot a look at her. “Hey, why are you pinching me, Naeun! It’s freaking hurt!”

“That’s what you got when you’re ignoring me.” She puckers her lips, sulky. “Tell me, unnie… what were you thinking that you ignored me when I called your name?”

“I was… thinking about,” I break off and urge something to come up in an instant. “Uhm, I was thinking about what kind of bread Lu Han likes.”

I run my eyes over the selection of breads offered in the bakery. Well, I wasn’t lying about that just now; Naeun and I are now at the nearby bakery during the filming break to find some bread for Lu Han. He fancies breads—or more specifically, breads made in Seoul—and I’m thinking of buying some for him to commemorate his arrival to Seoul this afternoon.

I haven’t introduced who Lu Han is, have I?

Well, let me introduce him; Lu Han is my close friend that I got to know during some particular occasion. Sorry, I’m kind of having memory loss at the moment. He’s a Chinese, though, and used to live in Seoul for about five years before moving back to his home town. He’s a popular idol in China, by the way.

And this afternoon, I’ll pick him up at the airport. He’s coming here for some sort of reasons and one of them is to meet me. It has been a while since we last met. Now that we’re going to meet today, I couldn’t help feeling all giddy. It’s like meeting your long-lost twin.

“That’s why I’m calling you, unnie.” Naeun interrupts my thoughts. She shows me a tray she’s holding which is full of assorted breads. “I’ve picked some, so you can pick which ones out of these that Lu Han oppa loves.”

“On second thought, you know his favorite ones, don’t you?” 

“Of course I know,” I say proudly. “He likes sweet buns that have melon inside it.”

“Fine, let’s have them for him.”

Naeun and I move over to the next, glass cabinet to pick cakes for us before paying them all at the cashier table.

“How I wish I could meet him,” Naeun says when we’re in front of the cashier. “He must be so handsome in real life, right?”

“Kind of.” I nod. I would rather call him pretty than handsome, because for God’s sake, he’s prettier than me! “I can get you his autograph if you want one, you know.”

“Of course I want his autograph!” She’s jumping all of a sudden, which kind of freaks me out.

“For the love of God, don’t jump here, Naeun!” I hiss, my eyes go wide. “You can only do that when no one’s around!”

Son Naeun, being Son Naeun, just bursts out giggling and continues acting like one of Lu Han’s die-hard fan girls.

     

To: Pretty Boy

Hey, I’ve arrived at the airport. Just walk out and head to the parking lot. I’m at the 7th. You know which one is my car, right?

I let out a small sigh and look out of the window, checking if he’s around here. I’ve tried to phone him a few times beforehand, asking whether he’s arrived, but to no avail. I’m stupid to forget that cell phones aren’t allowed on board.

I guess I’ll just have to wait in the car until he arrives. It wouldn’t be too long because his flight is scheduled to arrive at 2:30 PM.

Out of boredom, I flick the radio on, only to shut it off within a moment later. There are no songs that I fancy—only songs that can only make me cringe in embarrassment. The lyrics are too cringe-worthy, like very seriously.

I run through my playlist and play my boyfriend’s ‘Best Luck’. Not only is it one of the latest songs nowadays, but it also reminds me of him through his melodious voice—though he’s nowhere to be next to me.

I waited for this day, for your sweetness,

Look at me, I’ll protect you babe.

Sometimes, I wonder to myself. Did I make a right decision to date him? What if we are caught one day and my friends would be laughing at me because my boyfriend is younger than me?

I can’t lie. These kinds of thoughts occur to me like, all the time. I feel very insecure and pained sometimes. However, I should be positive. My instincts are always right—they couldn’t possibly lie to its owner. I have made the right decision and I shouldn’t retreat because Jongdae is younger than me. I need to put my trust in him. He said he will protect me with all his life no matter what, didn’t he?

My trembling lips, your fluttering heart,

You are my love babe,

 I know that this is love,

I’m happy because of you.

It’s not that I haven’t mulled it over when he was asking me out. I did think about it very deeply. On top of that, Mr. Anon told me that I should do things that will make me happy, and that means I should just bat an eyelash of others’ misconceptions.

In all honesty, I think that having Jongdae as new part of life is what makes me happy.

My cell phone suddenly rings and I bring it up for a brief look.

Jongdae is calling…

Despite the shock, I briskly click the ‘accept’ button. “Hello?” I sound very excited, don’t I? “Jongdae?”

“Yes, it’s me, Yoona.” I missed his voice, really. “I’m sorry that I just reach you at this time. I’m, uhm, you know, a bit busy with concert in Thailand.”

“It’s okay. I understand,” I say, not wanting to sound despondent. “How’s it going there? Is everything going fine?”

“Everything’s fine, but you know.” He swallows hard. “I missed you. How I wished to show up in front of you now. I mean, I really, really missed you.”

“We’ll meet once you’ve returned, Jongdae.” The smile on my lips widen at the thought of his recent text. “You promise me we’ll go on a date, didn’t you?”

A chuckle seeps through the speaker. “Yes, I did. Let’s go on a date once I’ve returned.”

“When will you return?” I ask. “Next week?”

“Two days more,” he says, “wait for me, okay? I’ll go running after you the moment I’ve safely returned, I promise.”

“Pinky promise.” I let out a laugh. “I’ll kill you if you break the promise!”

He chuckles again this time. “I won’t.”

So the conversation later revolves about how longed we are to meet each other before he needs to hang up a few minutes later.

Although it’s just a short phone call, it heals the pain I’ve had all this time, at the very least.

I’m looking forward to meeting you two days’ time, Kim Jongdae.

     

I think I’ve been waiting for ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter