primrose

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If you can’t get someone out of your head, maybe they are supposed to be there.”

Together with Jongdae, we trudge into my condo once the door is swung open.

Being the last one to enter, I shut the door close and walk behind him slowly. In my mind, I couldn’t help thinking that it may be a big mistake for letting him in.

“Wow, it’s really been a while,” he mutters to himself, though I can hear it as well. Once he reaches the living room, he throws himself onto the couch and turn on the TV, as though he were the owner of the condo.

I stand near the couch, looking at him in bewilderment. “Jongdae,” I say.

“Hmm?”

“Are you really here just because you’re hungry?”

“Yes.” His answer is brisk. “I’ll get going once I’m done.”

I take a deep breath. “Then what would you like to eat?”

“Can you cook anything I want, noona?”

The word ‘noona’ makes a shiver races down my spine. I haven’t heard that endearment from his lips in a while. In all honesty, it drives me crazy.

“Oh,” I stammer nervously. “Maybe…”

There is a beat of silence. He seems to have something at the back of his mind. I stare at him questioningly as I wait for his reply.

“Just cook me ramen,” he says at last, a blooming smile on his face. “That’s the food I want to eat right now.”

     

While waiting for the ramen to completely cook after I’ve added the seasoning, I would occasionally throw him a few furtive glances from a corner of the kitchen. Hearty laughs are audibly heard as his attention is all on the TV.

To be completely honest, I did not what was wrong with me that I said yes when he wanted to drop by. He said he is hungry that mine is the nearest place he could reach, but I can’t really trust him. It’s not that I’m thinking he has an ulterior motive for coming all the way here, but it feels like something is fishy with him.

By the way, one of the reasons that I could think of when I said yes is I don’t know when I will able to meet him if it weren’t for today. Who knows today is the last day between us?

Whether or not my assumption is true, I’m just hoping that everything will turn out smooth tonight without a fight.

After a few minutes, I go out of the kitchen and head towards the living room with the hot cooked ramen in the pot.

“Here you go.” I put the pot on the coffee table with a small plate of kimchi. “Kimchi?”

“Perfect,” he agrees, sitting on the carpet.

“I don’t know if it’s delicious enough because I haven’t cooked ramen in a long time,” I say earnestly as I sit on the couch in front of him.

“It’d be just delicious.” He shoots me a tiny wink. “Aren’t you eating with me, noona?”

“Go ahead.” I shake my head with a tiny smile. “It’s all yours.”

     

Watching him eat excitedly, I could not help but laugh with all my heart inwardly. He looks like he’s enjoying it to bits, though it’s just ramen.

Ever since we’ve temporarily parted ways, I haven’t seen that cheekbone smile of his in a long time. I missed it, to tell you the truth. Not only his prominent smile, but everything about him. His touch, his eyes solely on me, his warm embrace and… his lips pressed against mine.

I just missed them all.

Mulling over it, did I make a mistake for leaving him? Was it a big mistake I had done?”

“It’s delicious!” he cries. “You really are a great cook, noona.”

“It’s just ramen.” I squirm in embarrassment. “Even kids can do it.”

“Still, cooking ramen needs talent,” he says, reaching a glass and pour cold water in it. “At least for me.”

“I guess so…” I muster an awkward chuckle.

“The meeting with Minseok hyung this afternoon’s indeed horrible, isn’t it?” he tells me. “I never thought you were his friend. I mean, I did know that he’s going to bring one, but I never thought it’d be you!”

“We’ve been friends since high school,” I say matter-of-factly. “And by the way, I never thought you were his cousin, either.”

He lifts the glass for a sip “I guess we’re the same situation, eh?”

I nod. “I was wondering about something, Jongdae…”

“What is it?” He peers over me expectantly.

“You called me ‘sunbae-nim’ when we were with Minseok this afternoon and now you’re calling me ‘noona’. You know what? You really are inconsistent!”

He laughs out loud. “I just don’t want Minseok hyung to know that we’re close. That’s all.”

Are we still close? That thought occurs to me out of the blue.

“What time did you come here?” I ask, merely diverting the subject. “Were you waiting for me for a while? I was supposed to go home once the meeting with Minseok is done, but something suddenly came up, so yeah…”

“For an hour, I suppose?” He smiles at me. “Don’t worry, though. I still have my legs working perfectly.”

I laugh at his sense of humor. Despite the separation, he’s still able to crack jokes.

“You know…” I hear him sigh. “About the dating rumor between me and Krystal, it was just a rumor. I’m not dating her.”

It takes me by a huge surprise that he’s still mentioning about the dating rumor when he’s already come clean this afternoon. I have totally got it over with.

I guess he still thinks that I don’t believe him.

“I know,” I mutter. “You’re not that kind of person.”

“I only like you and will always like you, noona.”

My face jerks up in surprise.

“Are you still… mad at me?” His gaze is too strong, and I can just look away. But I don’t. “…for what I’ve done to you?”

I fall silent because I can’t think of a decent reply.

Realizing that I give him no response, he starts laughing out of awkwardness. “I shouldn’t have asked you that question,” he pitches in, still laughing. “Of course you’re still mad at me. I did a big mistake, didn’t I?”

I still give him nothing, but a blank stare. And a deep, heavy sigh, by the way.

He stands up afterwards. “Since I’m done, I’ll get going.”

Seriously, I don’t know what I should do at the moment. Truth be told, I have no idea how I should respond to his answer. I don’t want him to leave me this way, either.

“Don’t go.” I grab his arm, and he instinctively turns around. I collect a heap of courage inside me and look him into his eyes. “Don’t go. Please…”

He’s shocked at first. But when he’s pulled himself together after taking a deep breath, he crouches down and has his eyes focused on me.

“Noona,” he whispers. “Only for this time, give me a second chance. I don’t want to lose you again. Only God knows how it’s been so hard for me since we broke up.”

Me too, I tell myself. I missed you so much, but I’d rather keep it all to myself. I made myself strong, but I’m just a weak woman, who can’t live without you.

“Let’s start anew… okay?” He swallows nervously. “But it’s okay if you still need time, noona. I’ll wait for you no matter how long it takes for you to accept me again.”

I shake my head. “No.”

“What?” He furrows an eyebrow, confused.

I emit a lively laugh. He surely can be dense at times.

His frown deepens. “Why are laughing?”

“You’re just so dense, Jongdae.” With both my hands wrapped around his neck, I draw him closer to me and tilt my head before I press my lips against his.

It’s just a peck, though. I wouldn’t want to kiss him passionately because that is so not my thing. He’s the man and he should lead me to one, shouldn’t he?

“You actually kissed me, noona,” he says with a chuckle. “Does this mean we’ve started anew?”

“I’ve given you the answer, haven’t I?”

He smirks. “I guess you have.”

Within a moment, a pair of warm, delicate lips crashes against mine. The latter, then, leans closer against me as he slides his tongue inside my mouth and he ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter