cactus

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Love knows no limit to its endurance, no end to its trust, no fading of its hope; it can outlast anything. Love still stands when all else has fallen.”

Please don’t lose me,

Like the spring wind that passed over me,

Can you save, can you save me.

 

Like the past scent of the many days,

That passed over me,

Can you save, can you save me.

 

I halt my footsteps as the familiar song suddenly hits my eardrums. I turn around slightly and narrow my eyes, trying to distinguish where the song comes from.

“Yoona?” Heechul looks me incredulously, who’s standing three steps ahead of me. “Why do you stop?”

“Oppa, can you go first?” I say. “I have something left to do here.”

“What do you want to do in the company?” he inquires me in total disbelief. “I believe our meeting with the President Lee has just come to an end, hasn’t it?”

“Just…” I smile at him significantly. “You go home first, okay? I’ll just take a cab once I’ve finished my business here.”

“I know you have no schedule today, but are you going to be fine?” Heechul raises an eyebrow. “I’m worried about you taking a cab on your own.”

“I’ll be just fine.” I give him a thumbs-up with a very big smile before I hurriedly make my way out of the hallway to the practice dance room.

 

Come back, I want you back back back,

Back, back,

Back, back, back, back,

Don’t leave our memories in time.

 

Carefully without making any sounds of disturbance, I enter the spacious room from the back door and stand at the back of the room.

 

Come back, I want you back back back,

Back, back,

Back, back, back, back,

I’ll wait for you, as I remain here, turned around,

I say save me.

 

I watch Infinite finish their dance practice proudly. Just for the record, Infinite is under the same agency of mine, so we are kind of close. We do not always meet with one another, though. They are all busy and so am I. We occasionally bump into each other during company meeting and yes, during they are having dance practice or recording in the company.

I present them a big round of applause upon the song ends. With the exceedingly sweaty training clothes they are wearing, I know they must be really exhausted. They must have been practicing for a long time since early in the morning.

“You have done so well, guys,” I say and just on cue, they turn around in shock.

“Yoona sunbae-nim, what are you doing here?” The youngest of seven members, Sunjong, looks very surprised.

Sungyeol nods in agreement. “Yes, sunbae-nim, what are you doing here? I didn’t know you were watching us secretly at the back!”

“I’ve told you so many times not to call me sunbae-nim, haven’t I?” I chide them softly. “Just call me ‘noona’. That sounds more casual.”

The two members just cringe.

“What are you doing here, Yoona?” The oldest and the leader of Infinite, Sunggyu, voices out his question. “Meeting with President Lee, eh?”

I give him a small nod. “Just finished,” I reply. Although Sunggyu is a year older than me, I do not address him as ‘oppa’. I just call him by his name. Either way, I guess it doesn’t seem to bother him.

“I thought of dropping by just for a few moments,” I add, sitting in front of them upon their welcoming signal. “Are you practicing for some show, guys?”

“Yes, we have a Music Bank concert in Brazil next week,” Hoya informs. “That’s why you can see we were practicing so hard just now.”

“We have to keep on practicing, though.” Dongwoo exhibits a sheer bored look. “I’m so tired.”

“As if the rest and I aren’t tired, hyung,” L pitches in with his lips puckered adorably. He then leans his head on Woohyun’s shoulder. “We still have a recording to do later. It’s really tiring.”

I listen to them very attentively, and I could not help but laugh in amusement. Being idols are hard—they work more than actors. I am relieved that I decided to become an actress, though I did once wish to debut in an idol group some time ago.

“What have you been up to lately, Yoona noona?” Woohyun asks curiously.

“I’m doing a SBS drama,” I say.

“I watch your drama—” Sunjong stops and chuckles. “No, I mean, we all watch your drama at times.”

“Really?” I tilt my head, smiling. “I’m honored, then.”

“Treat us for lunch, then.” A smirk grows at the corner of the visual’s lips. “You’ve never treated us once, have you?”

“I think I have.” I don’t remember, to be honest. Seriously though, I think I have once treated them to a big restaurant, but it must be a very long time ago. During their debut days or two or one last year ago, perhaps? “But I’m sorry, guys. Not today.”

“Why?” Sunggyu rolls his eyes pryingly. “Do you have a schedule this afternoon?”

“I’m going to meet my friend, instead.” I shake my head. “A very close friend.”

“Then, we will redeem the big treat when we’re both free,” L says happily.

“Sure thing,” I say. “By the way, L…”

L looks up. “Hmm?”

“You’d once starred in a drama with f(x)’s Krystal, right?”

“Yes, she was my co-star in ‘My Lovely Girl’,” he answers matte-of-factly. “Why, noona? Do you want to know whether we’re close or something?”  He draws in his breath and the charming smile on his lips widens smugly. “Well, I am pretty close to her.”

“Oh, really?” I chuckle dryly. “I was just wondering. That’s all.”

Dongwoo glances at s. “She’s dating Kim Jongdae, isn’t she?” 

That question stabs my already wounded heart.

“It was just a rumor,” Woohyun denies. “SM has already given a statement that they are simply friends, right?”

“They are kind of suited to each other, though.” Sungyeol isn’t helping me—he’s making my wound bleed even more.

“I don’t think they are dating,” L shares his honest opinion. “I just met Krystal last week and there was no sign of delight on her face. Girls would  be happy once they go out with someone, wouldn’t they?”

“Are you going now, noona?” Hoya catches me as I rise from the seat. I don’t feel particularly comfortable anymore as they keep talking about the dating rumor. My body is becoming hot and so is my heart.

“I am,” I say, nodding slightly. “I guess I’ll see you guys around later.”

     

Sipping the warm tea, I look out of the window as I wait for Minseok to arrive. Last night, we have planned on meeting each other here at Holly Café sharp at 2 PM, but he still hasn’t come yet.

I tell myself that he’s stuck in a traffic jam or something just to ease my heart.

However, my presumption turns out true when he eventually arrives at the café ten minutes later, looking breathlessly tried.

“Sorry, Yoona,” is the first remark that escapes his lips. Weary steps, he sinks into the seat facing me and adds, “I got stuck in a traffic jam. I should’ve just come here by subway, for God’s sake!”

“It’s okay,” I say reassuringly. “You’re not that late and tell you what, it’s not that I’ve been waiting for an hour or something.”

“Still, you are a celebrity, Yoona.” He seems guilty. “I shouldn’t have been late. Sorry again.”

“It’s really okay, Minseok. I don’t mind.” I give a gesture to the waiter, who happens to saunter near our table.

After the latter has taken Minseok’s order, we get back to talking. Although we did meet and chat during Sooyoung’s wedding reception, it was somewhat short. We were just too engrossed in witnessing the beautiful moment of the reception.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter