forget-me-not

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thanks for the memories.”

As Heechul oppa’s on the way of sending me home after filming drama ended, the channel on the radio playing is currently the broadcast of MBC FM4U’s ‘Sunny’s FM Date’. I’m pretty close with Sunny unnie because we did a lot of shows together in the past. As a matter of fact, I’d once appeared as a guest on her segment last year.

“Oh, today’s guest is Kim Jongdae!” Naeun’s sudden interruption throws me off guard.

“Oh, really?” I sound nonchalant, not trying to be so enthusiastic. Truth be told, I did not know that today’s guest was Jongdae until Naeun announced it. He’s just started his comeback promotion, so of course he’d appear a lot on the TV, wouldn’t he?

Naeun nods eagerly, her voice rises in utter exhilaration. “I like him. His voice is so amazingly powerful.” She turns to me and I can see a wide smile of elation grows at the corner of her lips. “He’s pretty handsome, isn’t he?”

“Right.” I could not lie; he’s handsome, or very handsome. “He’s, uhm, quite handsome.”

“I’ve watched the MV, Yoona,” comes Heechul’s voice through the driver’s seat. “It’s quite eye-catching and you looked beautiful in the MV. Just like a goddess.”

“Me too! I’ve watched it yesterday,” Naeun breaks in. “The scene I love the most is during the end, when he confessed to you. I tell you, it’s really sweet!”

“Ah, really?” I scratch the back of my head, not knowing what to respond at the moment. “Anyway, it’s a good MV, I must admit.”

“You should star in a lot of MVs later, Yoona,” Heechul oppa suggests.

I smile at him. “I will if there are offers in future.”

We later are engrossed in listening to the broadcast. Sunny asks him a lot of questions to the soloist, and some of them are mostly about his preparation for his comeback and what he will do if he comes 1st on music shows.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to come 1st since there are a lot of strong contenders promoting at the moment,” he says with a bashful chuckle. “However, if I come 1st, I’ll go to Myeongdong Street and perform my latest title track, ‘Best Luck’ in front of everyone.”

“Wow, that’s good!” Sunny says, giving him a round of applause. “So… Jongdae’s fans need to help him come 1st if you want to see Jongdae’s live performance in Myeongdong Street!”

“You like him, Naeun?” I inquire her out of curiosity. She certainly looks like she’s one of his fan girls.

“Of course I like him!” The younger girl lets out a laugh. “I mean, who wouldn’t like him? He’s good at singing and drop dead gorgeous!”

Whoops, that’s kind of unexpected. I thought she only liked idol groups like Beast, SHINee and Teen Top. Oh, hold on. Jongdae’s an idol as well, isn’t he? He used to be a member of EXO, and now, he should be called as an idol singer.

“Okay now, let’s move to another topic,” the female DJ remarks happily. “So Jongdae… among female celebrities in South Korea, who do you like the most?”

I swear my heart stops beating the moment the question hits my eardrums.

“Sunny noona,” he says calmly, to which breaks my heart. I literally thought my name would come out, but it was just my imagination.

Sunny giggles. “You’re just saying it because I’m here, aren’t you?”

“Noona, I’m being serious.” Despite his statement, he’s actually stifling a laugh.

“Fine, let me hear your reason as to why you’re a fan of mine.”

“Women with beautiful smile are my ideal type. To make a confession here, I’ve liked you since a long time ago. I really am a big fan of yours, noona.”

He then adds, “You also have a comfortable quality like a mother, Sunny noona.”

“I think every guy likes Sunny unnie.” Naeun isn’t helping me; she’s pouring salt on my wound. “She’s too cute to resist.”

“I like her too.” Heechul oppa nods in agreement. “She’s really cute.”

“If you were given a chance to date a girl, would you choose a younger one or an older one?”

“I like older girls,” Jongdae admits, almost too immediately. “Age doesn’t matter to me when it comes to dating. I feel more comfortable being with them and sometimes, I would be utterly pleased if they lead me.”

     

“I’ll pick you up at 10 AM tomorrow, Yoona. We’ll go straight to the photo shoot once the drama filming ends.”

I hop off the car and turn around, only to nod and close the door shut. “Okay, oppa. See you tomorrow.”

“Take care, Yoona.”

“Goodbye, unnie! See you tomorrow!” Naeun shouts boisterously before Heechul oppa drives out of the parking lot.

I let out a small huff and head to the elevator. Mine is at 15th floor and it’s going to take some time to reach up there. If I had wings on my back, it would have been perfect. I’m too tired right now to even stand up.

“Yoona.”

I hear someone’s just called me. I raise an eyebrow suspiciously and swivel on my heel, only to have my eyes widened at the sight of a smiling young man.

“Jongdae?” My breath stops. “What are you doing here?”

“I missed you,” and it’s more to throw me off guard. “I missed you so that’s why I came here.”

“Don’t lie, Jongdae.” I press my lips together into a thin line. I don’t think it makes sense for him to come here at one. He was at the radio broadcast just now, wasn’t he? “Why are you here?”

He chuckles, somewhat amused. “Like I just said, I missed you,” he repeats, almost like a whisper. He’s staring at me with a pair of longing eyes. “And besides, I wanted to make up for what I didn’t get to do before.”

“What… is it?”

“You know, we were supposed to catch a movie the other night, but I couldn’t make it,” he says. “And now… I’m bringing you there.”

“Now?” I am totally speechless. I look at my wristwatch and it shows 8 PM. “At this hour, seriously?”

“Yes,” he says. “You’re free, aren’t you?”

“I’m free… but–”

“No more buts, noona,” he cuts me off. “You go change clothes and I’ll wait for you in the car.”

As if I have no choice to oppose, I nod and gingerly make my unfinished way to the elevator.

     

We stop by a fast food restaurant that provides a drive-thru session. Jongdae, who had already covered himself ahead of time, does the order, while I, on the other hand, only turn my face to the other side. We can’t have ourselves spotted by anyone, can we?

After the order’s been safely delivered, Jongdae starts driving out of the premise and goes to the mysterious destination.

“Why only a set of burger?” I ask, tearing the paper bag open. There’s only a wrapped cheese burger, a large glass of Pepsi and a box of seasoned French fries.

“Sharing is caring,” he simply says, flashing me a smile. “Now feed me those fries.”

I laugh at how casual he is, and feed him the fries as told.

“Jongdae, can I ask you a question?”

“Fire away.”

“Did you really come here just because you missed me?” I look at him fervently. “You were at the radio broadcast before, weren’t you?”

“We haven’t met for so long… of course I missed you.” It’s kind of hard to believe him because he seems like he’s just cracking a joke. “I’m serious, Yoona. I came straight to your condo once I’m done with the radio broadcast.”

I narrow my eyes, still having a tinge of incredulity inside me. “Fine, I believe you, though I still don’t get a few things,” I say, crossing my arms over my chest. “Didn’t your manager know where you’re going after schedule?”

“I told him that I wanted to go home on my own and he just let me off,” he enlightens, his eyes still fix on the road. “Just so you know, he’s usually like that. I mean, he doesn’t care much about my private life.”

I say nothing after listening to his explanation. Now it’s all crystal clear.

“Where are we headed, Jongdae?” I look out of the heavily tinted window. “I think we’ve missed the way to the cinema…”

“We’re not going to the real cinema, noona.” He turns to me, a clandestine wink on his face.

“You’ll know it once we’ve reached that place,” he adds.

I just shrug, and let him lead the way.

     

It turns out to be a place where I totally know where it is. It’s one of the places I always go whenever I seek serenity.

“You seem to always go here, Yoona,” he says once we’ve arrived, and slowly parks the car at a particularly hidden corner of the renowned river.

“Who on earth doesn’t go to Han River?” I let out a laugh. “Anyway, is this place where we’re going to watch a movie?”

He gives me a light nod, seemingly excited. “I couldn’t get the tickets for two of us since it’s, uhm, you know, unplanned,” he says slowly, fishing out something from the back seat, “… so we’re going to watch a movie in the car. I’ve got some DVDs here.”

I glance at the particularly large LCD screen he has in his car before taking them from his hand. The Notebook, The Fault in Our Stars, When in Rome, A Walk to Remember, My Sassy Girl and 100 days with Mr. Arrogant. Most of them are western movies. I haven’t seen a few of them.

“Let’s watch this one,” I say, handing him the chosen DVD. “You haven’t watched it, have you?”

“The Fault in Our Stars,” he enunciates the movie title, briefly skimming through the synopsis at the back of the DVD. “I haven’t watched it.”

“That’s good, then.”

“But… it seems like it’s going to be a tear-jerking movie. Are you okay with that?”

“I’m an actress, Jongdae,” I gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter