Heartskipper 17

Heartskipper

She ran her fingers down her fringe and checked her dress in the elevator mirror.

 

“You look so good tonight.” Taeyeon kissed Tiffany’s exposed shoulder from behind. “Gorgeous.”

 

The other woman could only breathe out a sigh.

 

“Come on, Fany.” She turned the nervous woman around to face her. “I am not going to leave you no matter what.”
 

“I know...but I really want your parents to like me.”

 

“They will. If not now, eventually they will.”

 

“What if they don’t?” Tiffany lifted her head up and was met with a kiss on her forehead.

 

“It doesn’t matter to me. Now, now what happened to that confident, kickass Tiffany Hwang that I know and love?”

 

“Flew out of the window.”

 

“It’s okay I will give you mine.”

 

“...”

 

“Come on, I am sure they would like you.” Taeyeon didn't know she was saying this more to comfort Tiffany or to ease her own equally tensed heart.

 

“You and I both know they wouldn't.”

 

“I fell in love with you the first time I saw you. You are the heartskipper of my life.”

 

“Shut up Taeyeon. This is not the time to cheesy.”

 

Taeyeon giggled. “That's my feisty Tiffany.”

 

Tiffany adjusted Taeyeon’s dress a little, tightening the ribbon around her back slightly. “See? You look so much better in a nice, fitting dress instead of your usual hoodie and jeans.”

 

“But Mickey is cute and you got most of my hoodies for me. I have to wear them.”

 

“That's because you refuse to wear anything else!”

 

“Okay, okay. I will wear anything that you make me wear from now on.” Taeyeon grinned that toothy smile that Tiffany really likes and leaned in for a kiss. “Better?”

 

“Yes, ranting at your fashion sense always makes me feel better. Come on we better get going, wouldn't want to keep your parents waiting.”

 

A couple of days ago, Taeyeon had told her parents that she was in a serious relationship and that she wanted to introduce the person to them. Her mother was naturally the most excited, demanding that she invite him over for dinner. Her dad’s reaction was a little muted, but he still requested for Taeyeon to bring the person over during their annual family dinner next week. It is held annually at one of the hotels that her family had a small stake in.

 

Taeyeon nodded her head.

 

And when she got back and told her girlfriend about it, she was met with a cushion hitting her face and a “Taetae!!! This is too last minute!!! I am not prepared!”

 

After coaxing and kissing her girlfriend for the entire afternoon, Tiffany finally agreed to the dinner and came up with a game plan to try to win Taeyeon's parents over.

 

==

 

“Fany, we have arrived.” Taeyeon stopped the car and waited for her girlfriend's response.

 

“Y-yeah.” Butterflies were churning in her stomach and it made her sick. “Just a little nervous.”

 

Taeyeon reached out her hands to hold onto the other woman. “See? I'm nervous too. My hands are equally cold and sweaty. We are this together, remember?”

 

“Thank you baby. I know this isn’t easy for you too...”

 

“But we will get through this together. Come on.”

 

Tiffany’s jaw dropped when she saw the grandeur of the hotel. Just a family dinner…?

 

“Taetae…”

 

“Hm?” Taeyeon jabbed the elevator button.

 

“Nothing. Just wanted to call your name.”

 

Taeyeon seemed to sense her nervousness for she encircled her arm around her girlfriend’s waist and pulled her closer. “Love you. Thank you for doing this.”

 

The elevator opened with a beep and the pair stepped out and into the private banquet room. It was supposed to be a cosy family affair and so Taeyeon was completely shocked when they stepped into a room full of her extended family. She swore she could have fainted on the spot there and then.

 

She felt Tiffany’s hand trembling in her grip.

 

“What is this?” Tiffany hissed. “You said only your parents and siblings!”

 

“I don’t know either!”

 

“Hm? Isn’t this our Taengoo?” One of the older lady sitting at the table exclaimed upon seeing the couple entering the room.

 

On normal occasions, Tiffany would have laughed at the strange nickname but not right now. Not when she was entering a room full of strangers and Taeyeon’s parents who at this very moment, staring at her and the very stiff Taeyeon.

Taeyeon said nothing but wordlessly tugged at her girlfriend’s hand, leading towards the table in the centre where everyone was seated.

 

This is another of those times where Taeyeon would surprise Tiffany with her steadiness. Taeyeon could be a bundle of nerves when it comes to simple tasks like ordering food through the phone but can be calm and steady like a rock when it comes to situations like this. It was one of those things that Tiffany hated and loved about the woman.

 

She greeted everyone of them with a polite bow, never letting go of Tiffany’s hand.

 

She eventually reached her parents. Her dad’s stare was blank while her mother was eyeing Tiffany suspiciously. “Umma and Appa, this is Miyoung, my girlfriend.”

 

The entire table went silent. Her dad remained impassive while her mother’s eyes and mouth sprung open. She winced a little and braced herself for the impending screams from her parents.

 

But to her surprise, her dad placed a hand on her mother’s thigh to calm her down, and said “Sit down Taeyeon. Let’s not keep everyone hungry.”

 

==

 

Everyone at the table was eyeing at Tiffany and it made her extra conscious of herself. She allowed Taeyeon to lead her to a seat along the length of the table but instinctively continued to hold onto Taeyeon’s hand even when they were seated down. It was awkward and scary as hell.

She found herself sat right next to a kid who was more than excited to see Taeyeon.

 

“Unnie! Unnie!” The kid exclaimed the second her eyes met Taeyeon’s.

 

Taeyeon had to smile. “Hello baby.”

 

What? Baby? Taeyeon doesn’t even call me her baby! Ever! Tiffany thought to herself.

 

“Taetae! This is your girlfriend?” The kid almost sprang out of her booster seat in excitement.

 

“Yes.” Taeyeon leaned in closer, bypassing Tiffany before whispering mischievously, “Isn't she pretty?”

 

This only earned her a soft slap on her thigh by Tiffany.

 

“Yes! Yes!” The kid chimed.

 

“She's my baby niece, my brother’s little princess.” Taeyeon explained.

 

“Do you want to introduce yourself to Fany unnie?” Taeyeon switched her attention to the younger one.

 

“Yes! My name is Kim Norae. I am 5 years old this year.” Tiffany’s heart almost melted at the wide toothy grin of the child. It somehow reminded her of Taeyeon’s smile.

 

“Nice to meet you Norae, I am Tiffany. You can call me Fany unnie.”

 

“Taeyeon ah. We haven't seen you in quite a while and look at you! All grown up. Is this your first girlfriend?” One of the older ladies, presumably an aunt of Taeyeon, asked. Tiffany swiftly concluded that they were more curious than concerned.

 

Taeyeon let out a polite smile. “Yes. And hopefully my last.”

 

Upon hearing that, Tiffany’s heart skipped several beats. Tiffany wanted to pounce on the woman, squish her cheeks and kiss the life out of her. But no, not now. Not when Taeyeon's mother is currently staring daggers at her. Not when half of the family are whispering amongst themselves while shooting dirty looks at her.

 

Before the overly inquisitive aunt could ask any further, the food arrived and everyone’s attention switched to the feast.

 

The food looked great and probably tasted just as great but Tiffany couldn't taste a thing. Taeyeon tried to be attentive by scooping food onto her plate but it just felt awkward.

 

One thing though, the kid on her right did make things a little less awkward by rambling about Teletubbies and Dora the Explorer. Tiffany tried her best to keep up.

 

“Can I sleep with you tonight?” The kid innocently asked.

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “Darling, it's sleep over. We would have to ask your Appa.”

 

The kid proceeds to turn around and excitedly ask her parents about staying over with her aunt.

 

“Taeyeon, are you sure about this? Don't you have work tomorrow? This brat is sure to keep you up all night.”

 

“Nah, Oppa I have got this. Norae-ie would be a good girl right?”

 

“Yes! Norae would be good!”

 

“I guess it's okay then. But Taeyeon you would have to follow us back to grab Norae’s stuff.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Wop!” The kid proceeds to ramble on about all the things she wanted to do at Taeyeon's place tonight.

 

==

 

The dinner ended and the rest of the extended family left, leaving only Taeyeon's closest family. This gave her mother the opportunity to release all of her pent up frustrations.

 

“Taetae! How could you bring a girl back? Where have you been learning these bad things from!”

 

Tiffany lowered her head and she felt Taeyeon tightened her grip on her hand, as if telling her that everything is under control.

 

“Umma…”

 

“Don't call me Umma!”

 

“That's quite enough.” Taeyeon’s dad broke his silence. “How did the two of you meet?”

 

“We met in the first year of college, while I was studying in Korea.”

 

Taeyeon’s dad raised his eyebrows. “All the way till now?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I should have known something was wrong when you did not bring any boys home. Should have insisted for you to meet more guys.”

 

“Umma…”

 

“It is kind of late right now, we will talk again tomorrow. Come back for dinner.” Taeyeon’s dad said, voice dripping with authority. “Bring Miyoung along too.”

“Okay.” Taeyeon was still unsure of her Dad’s reaction but decided that something was better than nothing. At least they did not try to separate the two of them.

 

Taeyeon could still sense her mother’s anger and hostility towards Tiffany.

 

In the midst of everything, the kid watched everything intently and quietly. She was taught not to interrupt when the adults are talking. It scared her a little, seeing her grandmother shouting at her favorite aunt. Her young mind could not quite understand all at was going on. But she promised herself to give a big hug to her aunt later.

 

==

 

Tiffany watched on and walk quietly behind as the pair walked ahead.

 

Taeyeon seemed to notice her girlfriend falling behind for she stopped in her tracks and waited for her to catch up.

 

“Hey” Taeyeon was carrying the sleeping girl but still managed to reach one of her hand out to hold onto her girlfriend. “You okay?”

 

“Yeah. Just a little unsure about your parents’ reaction.”

 

“It's going to be okay. I think my Oppa is cool with you. I'm sorry about Umma though…”

 

“Nah. Not your fault.” Tiffany examined the girl snoozing away on Taeyeon's shoulder. “She's cute.”

 

“She really is. Although I know someone else who is cuter...”

 

“Stop smirking.”

 

“Do you have any idea who that is?”

 

“Get into the car Kim Taeyeon. Don't forget you are carrying a kid in your arms. I'll drive tonight.”

 

Taeyeon tossed the keys to her and proceed to strap the kid onto the car seat. “Now I can't even call you cute.” She grumbled from the back seat.

 

“Not today baby. I'm not in the mood for it.”

 

The moment the car started to move, the kid begun to stir. “M-mommy..?” The girl was still a little disoriented and confused from her nap.

 

Taeyeon smiled. “Your Umma is at home. You wanted to sleepover at my place tonight remember?”

 

The girl didn't answer but stretched her tiny body lazily. Taeyeon started to tickle the sides of the girl.

 

“No TaeTae!” The girl resisted.

 

“I'm the tickle monster~”

 

“Help!!!”

 

The girl ended up slightly panting from all the exertion from trying to resist her aunt. “I don't like you anymore!” She pouted and folded her arms.

 

“Really? Too bad. I was gonna buy someone an ice cream cone.”

 

“Me! me! Me!”

 

Tiffany couldn't help but smile upon seeing the interaction from the car’s view mirror. Taeyeon's childlike innocence was one of the first things she was attracted to. Back when she was constantly living on the edge and trying to break free of her past.

 

That very same night, she watched on lovingly as Taeyeon gave her niece a shower, changed her into her usual cartoon pajamas and tucked her in bed after reading a strange story about a tiny fairy and a giant carrot. It was kinda endearing really, seeing Taeyeon in her old, worn out Mickey pajamas shirt, tucking a little kid wearing a My Little Pony pjs to bed.

 

She thought about how she wanted a future with Taeyeon and how Taeyeon would be a totally protective and embarassing mother. And then her mind went to the dinner earlier. Judging by the hostile reactions she received from Taeyeon’s mother and the lukewarm responses from the rest of the family, she became less and less hopeful of getting the green light from Taeyeon’s parents.

 

She knew. She knew how important family was to Taeyeon. She knew family made Taeyeon happy. And she really wants Taeyeon to be happy. But was she ready to give it all up?