Heartskipper 16

Heartskipper

Chapter 16 

 

A/n: Part 1 of 100 upvotes special!

Her fingers were clammy, all sticky with sweat. She tried to wipe them against her jeans but was stopped when another hand took them into her hold. The woman looked up.

“Relax baby…"

Taeyeon huffed. “How do you expect me to relax?”

“Daddy isn't going to eat you up. I will make sure of that.”

 

They were meeting Tiffany's family for the first time since they went “official”. It was supposed to be a simple, cosy dinner at Tiffany's place but to Taeyeon, it was like walking into the scariest hell.

 

Her lips trembled as she thought of how Tiffany's Dad and brother would interrogate her. Overprotective was the word that Tiffany used to describe the two most important men in her life. Taeyeon could only pray that she was enough for Tiffany. She made a silent prayer as she stood at the doorstep.

 

“What if your dad decides that I am not good enough for you? Do you think there is still time for me to pray?”

 

True to form, her mind was going into overdrive. She had several scenarios in mind. The worst one being Tiffany's Dad throwing the food at her face in front of everyone, telling her that she was not good enough for Tiffany. With her lack of reflexes, there was no doubt she wouldn't be able to avoid the food on her face.

 

“What if your dad gives me a kimchi slap like in the dramas? Or your brother? Wasn't he a wrestler in high school?”

 

“Stop over exaggerating.”

 

“What if they try to forcibly break us up? I mean, I am really okay with the kimchi slap as long as I still get to be with you.”

 

“Stop it Taeyeon. My dad is a gentleman and he surely doesn't kimchi slap anyone.”

 

“What about your brother--” Whatever Taeyeon wanted to say was stopped by a kiss on her lips.

 

“My family would love you. Now stop freaking out.”

 

“Can I have another proper kiss? You know, the calm before the storm? Just in case it's our last kiss.”

 

“Kim Taeyeon! One more piece of nonsense from your mouth and you're going straight home.”

 

Nevertheless, she still leaned in for a quick peck before ringing the doorbell. “You would do fine, just don't drop your chopsticks later.”

 

Taeyeon could only make a silent prayer for the night to go smoothly.

 

==

 

She sat quietly at the couch, not daring to even move a muscle. She wanted to call out for Tiffany but the woman was currently busy in the kitchen, chatting to her sister.

 

At the opposite side of the room sat the most important man in Tiffany's life who was currently shooting daggers at Taeyeon.

 

She knew she had to try to strike out some sort of conversation even though she was never good at holding conversations.

 

Aish. Should have asked Soonkyu for some tips before tonight. After all she has already met her boyfriend's parents several times now...

 

“So what are you doing now?”

 

A booming voice caught her off guard. It was Tiffany's dad.

 

She cleared awkwardly.

 

“M-me?”

 

“Is there anyone else sitting in the room?”

 

She looked around and saw that she was the only other person in the room. The question was obviously directed at her.

 

“Ah.” She paused. “I have just graduated and looking for opportunities to continue my research.”

 

“Research?” The man lifted an eyebrow.

 

“I specialise in biochemical so I am looking forward to do something in that area.”

 

“Long term?”

 

“That's the plan.”

 

“TAETAE?” Another booming voice came from the kitchen.

 

Taeyeon looked at the man, asking for permission to get off the couch.

 

She totally wasn't expecting that, but the man cracked into a gentle smile. “Go on. I know how scary and impatient Miyoung can get.”

 

Taeyeon smiled back and bolted off to the kitchen in search of her girlfriend.

 

“What took you so long?”

 

“I was talking to your dad.”

 

“So you are on talking terms with him now? Aigoo, what a social butterfly, my baby.”

 

“Fany…”

 

“I’m just teasing. Here, help me bring this out.”

 

“Tiff! How could you make our guest carry the dishes?” Tiffany's sister exclaimed.

 

“It's okay. Taeyeon is family.”

 

Taeyeon’s heart soared when she heard those words. Even though Tiffany said it in a casual manner, she knew the weight of those words. She wanted to grab the woman and kiss the hell of her right there and then. She quickly reminds herself that she was still in some very precarious situation herself and it's best not to let Tiffany's Dad witness her kissing his daughter right under his nose.

 

“Yah. Who allowed you to zone out?”

 

Tiffany poked her girlfriend's forehead. Despite all these years, Taeyeon still had the bad habit of zoning out every now and then and Tiffany proved to be the only one capable of keeping her grounded.

 

“Was not!” Taeyeon quickly retorted and hurriedly grabbed the dishes before leaving the kitchen.

 

“Is she always like that?” Her elder sister remarked, amused at the woman who had just left the kitchen.

 

“Taeyeon? She just gets distracted rather easily.”

 

“So family huh?” Tiffany's elder sister lets out a knowing smile.

 

“Please help me put in a good word later? Pretty pretty please.”

 

“She's a nice girl. I'm sure Dad would be more than happy about it.”

 

“He better.” Tiffany mumbled under her breath as she scooped the rice out of the rice cooker.

 

==

 

There was nothing more nerve wrecking than sitting right in front of Tiffany's Dad and brother. Taeyeon could barely taste the food.

 

Tiffany on the other hand, was completely at ease. She occasionally scooped meat and vegetables onto Taeyeon’s plate with a dose of “Baby you really need to try this" every now and then.

 

Taeyeon wanted to enjoy all the attention that Tiffany was showering on her but the stares from Tiffany's brother was getting overwhelming. She knew Tiffany was deliberately pampering her in front of her own family. Which only made things even more awkward for her.

 

“So Kim Taeyeon? Aren’t you planning on introducing yourself to us?”

 

Taeyeon looked up, currently stuffed with stirred fried beef that Tiffany had insisted for her to try. She totally didn't realize that were coated with dark sauces, being the clumsy eater that she was.

 

Tiffany as always, noticed it and grabbed a napkin to wipe it off.

 

“I-I can wipe it myself.” She was well aware of all the stares.

 

“Oppa can you stop being so scary? It's Taeyeon’s first time having dinner at our place after all.”

 

“Calm down Tiff. I am not going to eat her up. I just want to get to know her better.”

 

But of course, not everyone knows that Taeyeon tends to take words at face value.

 

“Ah.” Taeyeon puts down her chopsticks and begun to explain carefully. “My name is Kim Taeyeon. Currently unemployed because I have just graduated. Right now, I have three job offers, including one to work for my parents. I love pizza and jelly. My blood type is O.”

 

“Good to know.” Tiffany's brother mumbled, not expecting the girl to give him such a thorough answer.

 

“Also, I am financially secure. The last time I checked, my bank account has--”

 

Her words was stopped by Tiffany who placed her hand firmly on the other woman's thigh before whispering, “Baby, we don’t have to know everything. Oppa was just asking a casual question. Don’t take it too seriously.”

 

Slightly embarrassed, Taeyeon kept quiet and continued eating. Tiffany noticed her dad crack a tiny smile at the exchange which eased her tense heart a little.

 

==

 

Tiffany’s parents divorced when she was 12, leaving her with her mom while her older siblings followed her dad. Her mother remarried, giving her a younger half sis, Taylor. Despite everything, she remained close to her Dad and her older siblings and would occasionally return home for dinner. It wasn't exactly the perfect family arrangement but she was still thankful for her family.

 

Mr Hwang was a man of few words and it meant that whenever he spoke, his words are weighted in gold.

 

“Miyoung?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Ask Taylor along the next time you come back for dinner.”

 

“I did, but that kid is busy with school. She sends you her regards.”

 

“Hm.” Mr Hwang nodded and eyed the Taeyeon who was currently busy playing with her puppy, Prince. “And her too.”

 

It isn't much but it meant a lot to Tiffany who smiled back at her dad. “I sure would. Right Taeyeon?” She nudged her distracted girlfriend who was at this moment for no reason, pulling onto Prince's tail..

 

“Huh?” She glanced up at her girlfriend, all lost and confused. She decided to just go for it. “Yup, that's right.”

 

“So what was Daddy saying?”

 

“A-ah…”

 

“Taeyeon you need to learn to pay attention to your surroundings.” Mr Hwang remarked, looking amusingly at the poor woman who was turning pink in her cheeks.

 

“Y-yes. It's j-just that I was playing with Prince. I am sorry.” Taeyeon gulped.

 

“Am I that scary? Miyoung, what have you been telling her?”

 

“No no no. Fany, I mean, Miyoung didn't tell me anything. I just get nervous and distracted easily. I promise I would try to improve myself.” Taeyeon scrambled to clarify things before it got out of hand.

 

And Tiffany had to step in before Taeyeon embarrassed herself any further. “Daddy was just teasing you.”

 

“There is no need to be scared of me. I don't bite. Besides, I don't really care if you're a man or woman as long as you love my daughter and treat her well. I would expect the same from you too, Miyoung. No more fooling around. Don't think I don't know about your past.”

 

“Daddy! It has been so long ago.”

 

“Thank you, Mr Hwang. I will do my best.”

 

“Call me Samchon. Maybe one day you would call me Appa. Right?”

 

His teasing elicited laughters from everyone else, except for the awkward couple.

 

==

 

“Not that bad right? I told you my family is cool with you. I think my daddy really likes you.”

 

“Hm.”

 

“Unnie thinks you're cute by the way.”

 

“Hm.”

 

“Are you even listening to me?” Tiffany tugged at the hand that she was holding onto.

 

The pair was strolling home after the dinner at Tiffany’s parents house. They have decided not to drive since Taeyeon only lived twenty minutes away. It was breezy and quiet.

 

“Yeah? Sorry just got a little distracted for a while. What were you saying?”

 

“Okay enough. Why are you getting all distracted again? There is nothing to worry about. My Dad likes you. Or is there something else on your mind?”

 

“I know...it’s just…”

 

“Just?”

 

“I am not sure if my parents would have the same sort of reaction as yours. Especially Umma. I am worried.”

 

“It doesn’t matter. We don’t have to tell them yet. And even if we did and your Umma doesn’t approve, I would still stick to you. And I expect you to stick with me too.”

 

“But I want to. I want to tell them I am in love with the most beautiful girl in the Universe and that I want to marry her.” Taeyeon took Tiffany’s hand and gently kissed her right palm.

 

“Taetae…”
 

“I have been thinking, overthinking about us. And I imagine a future with you.”

 

“Then tell your parents. I will come with you.”

 

“What if they disapprove of us?”

 

“Then we will run to US and get married secretly.” Tiffany chuckled. “Or maybe not. I will wait for you. Wait until your parents change their minds.”

“I like the first idea.”

 

“Looks like somebody is becoming a rebel now?”

 

“I don’t care Fany, I am going to marry you no matter what happens.”

 

“If this is your meaning of a proposal, you can save it. I am not accepting this.”

 

“Of course not! I would do a lot more for you. Grander and bigger.”

 

Tiffany grinned, “I don't need all that, you know.”

 

“But I want to.”

 

“Not at the expense of your relationship with your parents.” She pats the slightly puffed cheeks of her girlfriend. “I can wait.”

 

“Fany…”

 

“Like I have said, let's talk to them. If they say no, I would wait and prove to them that I am worthy of you.”

 

Taeyeon said nothing more. What else did she needed to say? She looped her arm around the back of Tiffany's neck and drew closer and closer...so close that she could feel Tiffany's breath hitching. Tilting her head just a little, she leaned in and captured Tiffany’s lips.

 

The kiss was slow, unhurried. It wasn't her first time tasting Tiffany's mouth, she already knew that Tiffany was the sweetest woman in the universe. Inside and out.