The birthday party part 1

Not Like My Mom's Love Story

"Unnie! Your birthday is on Tuesday! Are you excited?" Mimi questioned me. Before I knew it, November had already arrived. My parents had the wedding date set for December 10th.

I groaned and collapsed on the chair. "Not at all." The whole family was in the living room relaxing on the Sunday before school started again.

Most people would be excited about their birthdays. I was at first, but now I dreaded the date and hoped it would never come. My birthday is on November 29th. I would finally be legal. Technically, in South Korea, I could have gotten married at 16 with parental consent, but who gets married at 16? Getting married at 18 is still insane, too, but I'm respecting my parents' request. 

After being consistently annoying when asking my parents, I found out what the threat was.

"Come on! Tell me the threat. I deserve to know why I have to get married."

"Araso. You'll be disappointed in us, though." Dad claimed.

"Back when you were about three and Minki was a few months old, your dad and I got into a huge argument. We were so angry with each other that we didn't talk to each other for days. We eventually ended up going to separate parties, and I happened to be with Kikwang while your dad was with the actress Hyojoo. We were probably drunk or something. Even though all of us were in a relationship, the paparazzi took pictures of us, so there would be drama, and everyone would start misunderstanding and hating us. We didn't cheat on each other, but those pictures could make many people misunderstand." Mom explained.

"There was also another scandal involving Heechul. But that scandal is too embarrassing to mention." Dad shook his head. I could assume what it was about since Heechul was biual. "So we agreed to the marriage. They would pay for everything also. But we are sorry, Minhee-yah. We don't know how to make it up to you."

"We know it's in the past, but we can't risk you guys getting hurt. You know how the public is. You remember what happened to Eunhae, right?" Mom inquired.

I nodded and reminisced about it.

Donghae from Super Junior was my mom's ex-boyfriend. He cheated on her with his band member, Eunhyuk. My mom was eventually alright with it and was able to become friends with both of them. Donghae and Eunhyuk announced their relationship to the public. Some people were okay with it, while homophobic people were against it. They got married in New York and adopted a daughter, but that was when all hell went loose.

The daughter is a few years older than me. Her name is Joomi. They adopted her when she was five. As she grew older, the paparazzi would chase after her and ask her inconsiderate questions like, 'What is it like to have two dads? Don't you ever wish you found your birth parents? How is life without having a mother?' And eventually, it caused Joomi to have a major depression breakdown. She never went outside since she knew reporters would be watching her, and she never smiled anymore. I remember her on the news when she said, 'I can't take it anymore! Why can't you guys leave my dads and me alone?" Donghae and Eunhyuk were so afraid that something would happen to Joomi that they beat up at least ten paparazzi guys. Now Joomi's better, and she's getting married soon, too. Seeing Donghae and Eunhyuk walking her down the aisle will be cute.

I was disappointed in my parents, but I understood that I would be the one to take responsibility for them. "Araso. Five years is all it will take, right?"

They both nodded. "Fine, I'll marry him next month." They jumped out of joy, and both got up to hug me.

"Are you ready for your birthday party?" Minki asked.

"What birthday party?" I replied, confused. I didn't remember Mom and Dad telling me they would throw me a birthday party.

"The party at brother-in-law's house," Mimi answered after texting her friend.

"Hold up, what? Omma, I don't remember hearing about this. There's going to be a birthday party held at Kiseop's house? MY BIRTHDAY PARTY??" I pouted in disappointment. I wanted to spend time with my friends. Not having a party at a place I've never been to.

"Yep. Kiseop's parents said it'll be their treat. Wait until you see their house. It's amazing." Mom sighed in envy. Mom and Dad were chilling on the couch on the right while Minki and Mimi were playing games on the couch on the left. I was between the two couches.

"Wait, you've been to their house?" Mimi, Minki, and I all exclaimed.

"Sorry, we forgot to tell you, Minhee-yah. But yes, we did; you guys were all at school." Dad mentioned.

"You guys know his personality, right?" I questioned everyone. They all nodded except Mimi. She was in denial that he was a selfish jerk.

"But you might be the girl to change him." Mom smiled. I rolled my eyes at that statement.

"Just like how I warmed up your mom's cold heart," Dad said, kissing Mom's cheek.

"You guys are so cheesy!" Mimi laughed.

"Noona, you realize that you'll meet the other members of U-kiss, right?" Minki hinted. He knew I liked AJ.

"Oh my gosh, I'll get to see AJ!" I shrieked.

"You should be shrieking to hear about Kiseop, not AJ," Mimi muttered.

"If only I were marrying AJ instead of Kiseop," I murmured.

"So, what time is the party?" I asked my parents.

"It starts at 4:00 pm, but we should be there at 3:30." My parents claimed.

"Araso. But what am I going to wear?" I started to panic. I wanted to impress AJ.

"Don't worry, Unnie, with my help, you'll catch all of the U-kiss members' attention." Mimi winked at me. 

"I'll help too." Omma smiled. She wasn't the best at shopping, but it would be a girls' day out, I guess.

We spent the afternoon at the ma the next day after school. My mom helped me with the shoes since I didn't like wearing high heels. Mimi helped with the dress, the hair, and the makeup. Even though she wasn't thirteen, she knew a lot about fashion. As for me, I just liked whatever was comfortable.  

    

"You're gonna look so hot tomorrow!" Mimi said, smiling at her masterpiece, which was me. I was surprised to see how much I changed. *I hope this can get AJ's attention.*

~~~~

It was finally my birthday. There was no school since it was a teacher in-service day.

"Saengachukahammida! (Happy birthday!)" My brother and sister shouted as they shook me awake.

"Thanks guys." I groaned and got up from my bed. I looked at my clock. It was 11 in the morning. 

"Already? Omma, why didn't you tell them to wake me up earlier?"

"You needed your beauty sleep!" I heard her downstairs. "And happy birthday, sweetie."

"Thanks, Omma," I said after I received a present from my siblings. 

"What is it?" I questioned the two of them.

"Open it at the party." They both claimed and ran off to their rooms.

So I brushed my teeth, took a shower, etc. As I ran downstairs, my phone rang.

"Yeobosaeyo (hello)?" I answered as I grabbed a sandwich from my mom.

"Minhee! Happy birthday!" 

"Aw, thanks, Yeonjae. Are you going to be at the birthday party?"

"Of course. Especially since I'm your cousin, everyone will be there, though." 

"Araso, I'll see you there." As soon as I hung up, I got three texts. They were from Dongmin, Chungho, and Hwayoung. They were probably going to say similar things.

Happy Birthday, Minhee. See you at Kiseop's place. You better like your present. You're old now .xD.

Minhee, it's your birthday! I'll see you later at the party. Your present took a while for me to get.

Happy Birthday, Minhee, you're 18 already! But don't worry, we'll catch up with you xD See you soon, and I'll give you your present at the party.

I smiled. I knew my friends well. After eating my brunch, I got on Facebook and saw that thirty people had already posted 'Happy Birthday!' on my wall. But by the time I finished playing on the computer, it was already 2 pm.

"Oh crap!" I immediately changed my clothes into that dress and asked Mimi to do my hair and makeup. 

"Perfect!" Mimi proclaimed. "Same as yesterday, only since you were on the computer for so long, we did it in 10 minutes instead of 20."

"Thank you, my awesome sister!" I got my flats on, and everyone was ready. Dad and Mom had gotten party food. Dad was a fantastic cook while Mom was still a novice, but at least she was trying.

"Alright, let's go!" Dad declared after putting the food in the trunk, and we all got in the car.

We arrived at Kiseop's place at 3:20. "Woo! It's almost time to party!" Minki yelled.

"Do you think there will be other celebrities or idols coming? Besides Dong Bang Shin Ki and U-Kiss, of course." Mimi stated.

"I don't know, we'll just have to see if they arrive," Dad replied.

We were going to ring the doorbell, but U-Kiss heard us already.

"Yah, Kiseop! Your wife and her family are here!" 

"Dongho, they aren't married yet. It's fiancee." I heard, I think, Soohyun say.

Kevin opened the door, and Mimi screamed. "Oh my gosh! Oppa, I'm a huge fan!"

"Thanks for supporting us. Come on inside. You look very pretty, by the way."

"Thanks." Mimi and I, plus our mom, said. We laughed and headed inside the house.

Kevin introduced us to the members as if we didn't know who they were. 

"Happy Birthday Minhee!" They all yelled out.

"Kamsamhammida. (thank you) "I smiled at them. They were all friendly-looking. I didn't see Kiseop, though.

I noticed AJ and shyly said hi to him. He said hi back and winked. *Omo, my heart's doing flips or something!* He was just so good-looking. But that feeling stopped when I looked at Kiseop, who was coming in from the kitchen.

"Hey, future wifey. You're looking pretty fine on your birthday." He smirked as he checked me out.

*Ugh, I hope this party will go out well.*