Why am I getting married to him?

Not Like My Mom's Love Story

"Yah! Minhee! Look at your fiance!" My brother Minki yelled from across the living room.

"I don't care!" I shouted back and continued to play on my laptop. My future husband's name is Lee Kiseop. He's a singer in the group U-Kiss, just like my dad was a singer in Dong Bang Shin Ki (DBSK) when he was younger. Even though that group broke up a few months after I was born, he's still popular over a decade and a half later. My dad's name is Kim Jaejoong. He's about 41 or 42 right now, I think. But it's weird because my friends' moms would swoon over my dad whenever there was an open house at school or a community event. I wonder how my mom never gets jealous. Then again, she's probably used to it.

My mom and dad thought they were relatives back in the past. My mom's grandparents adopted my dad when he was young, so he was originally my mom's uncle. But as they grew older, my dad found his real mom, and that was how they could be together. Of course, it would have been weird having an uncle who was only two years older than you, and you end up falling for him. That would be ... 

"Come on, how could you not be attracted to him?" My younger sister Mimi asked.

"For real, girl! I'm so jealous of you!" My cousin Yeonjae claimed. She wasn't my first cousin. Her mom is my mom's aunt. I call her Auntie Sunhee, just like my mom would call her. She's only seven years older than my mom. Auntie Sunhee had my cousin when she was 30. My cousin is the same age as me, so just calling her my cousin is easier. Plus, her dad was also a member of DBSK. I call him Uncle Yoochun.

Yeonjae and I have the same best friends. They all happen to be kids of the DBSK members. The other three members, Yunho, Junsu, and Changmin, all married my mom's best friends, Haneul, Eunkyung, and Chohee. It must have been fate or something to hear how my mom is related to all the DBSK members.

"Whatever. If she's not interested in him now, she will have to be interested later on when she's married to him." My best friend, Hwayoung, stated. She was Yunho's daughter.

The guys Chungho and Dongmin were hilarious as they sang along to Kiseop's group. Chungho was Junsu's son and Dongmin was Changmin's son. We were all around the same age, 16-17, and I was the second oldest. The order was Yeonjae, me, Chungho, Hwayoung, and Dongmin. Then there's my brother, who was 15, and my sister, who was turning 13.

I didn't want to say anything. I turned off the laptop and sat next to Hwayoung on the couch as everyone watched U-Kiss sing to Neverland and singing along. Even though Kiseop was good-looking since he's an ulzzang (meaning best face), his personality was crappy. So, of course, I wouldn't be attracted to him. But I have to admit, his abs were nice to look at. 

"Minhee-ah, you're not answering us," Yeonjae mentioned as I remained silent.

"I don't want to answer. Why would I be attracted to someone I'm forced to marry? Plus, he's a jerk, a player, and selfish. " I glared at Kiseop on the screen. Minki changed the subject, and everyone started talking about how Soohyun, the leader, was still singing despite him being sick.

My parents and his parents arranged for Kiseop and me to get married when I turned 18, which was in a month. Right now, it's the last week of October. My birthday is in November. So after I turn 18, the wedding will be in December. 

The only reason why my parents agreed to the arranged marriage was because Kiseop's company threatened them. I don't know what the threat was, but it must have been legitimate since it seemed to scare my parents, so they reluctantly said they would get me to marry Kiseop.

Kiseop was in a scandal with Hyoni from the group HAM. HAM isn't that well-known. Their last song was 'So y,' but I don't think they're preparing for another single anytime soon, which was how she could be with Kiseop. In U-Kiss's show U-Kiss Vampire, a few episodes had the members going on a date with a girl from each blood type. Hyoni's a B-type and Kiseop's an A-type. (I'm an O-type like my dad.) Onscreen, it seemed they didn't suit each other because Kiseop was a wimp. He wouldn't go on the ride that everyone else went on. After the episode, Hyoni ended up with Eli. But offscreen, Kiseop and her were a couple and went on many dates. 

So, as a result, the company is using me as a cover-up. Kind of like with Shin Sekyung when Jonghyun from SHINee was dating Jessica from SNSD and how Hara was a cover-up for Junhyung from BEAST when he was dating Hyuna from 4minute. Of course, I know these couples because my mom was close with 4minute, and Beast and Dad worked in the same company as SNSD and SHINee. There was a lot of drama in the kpop idol world. But I think they will all disband soon since most of them were in their late 30s.

Kikwang from Beast used to like my mom. They were best friends in high school and college. He was known as AJ back then. It's cool how much I know, but my parents are very open. (Besides the threat causing my life to change, of course.) I don't understand why AJ is a popular name because a member in U-Kiss goes by AJ too. And to be honest, he's my bias in U-Kiss. He was totally my type. He had that bad-boy aura I couldn't help but be attracted to.

"Yeogi Neverland eh eh eh eh and!" Chungho and Dongmin sang out loud. It was the last time U-Kiss performed that song before they would perform Someday as their follow-up song. That was my favorite song from their album. Yes, I listened to U-Kiss before I found out I would be getting married to one of their members.

I started remembering how I first met Kiseop during the last week of September. 

~~~~~

"Hurry up, Minhee! We'll be late!" My dad shouted as I ran down the stairs.

"Araso (okay), I'm ready." My parents told me that I would eat dinner with them and a few of their friends. I was used to going to dinners with past celebrities and stuff. My siblings were with my grandparents at our house. 

We arrived at a fancy restaurant and sat at a table with a family of three. There was a mom and dad that I figured were Dad's friends and then a guy who looked like he was around 20. But as I looked at him, I realized, *Omg, it's Kiseop from U-Kiss! I didn't know Dad was friends with his parents!* But I found out later they weren't friends.

"Hi, I'm Minhee. Nice to meet you." I put my hand out, and he hesitantly put his hand in mine and shook it.

"Are you a fan of U-Kiss?" He asked me, not introducing himself.

"Yeah. I love your album." I smiled. But he just made a face and whispered to his parents. I had good hearing, so I knew what he was saying.

"You guys are making me marry a fan?" 

I made a confused face at my parents, but they ignored me. "So when do you want to have it?" Dad asked Kiseop's parents, not saying what "it" was.

"We were thinking in December because that's when she'll be 18." Mom said, avoiding my poking to her arm.

"Omma! Appa, just what the heck are you guys talking about?" I questioned.

Kiseop's mom answered me. "You and Kiseop are going to get married."

"Bwoh (what)? You're joking, right?" I looked at my parents in desperation. "You guys can't be serious. I don't even know him."

"Seriously though, Omma. Why do I have to marry her? I want to be with Hyoni." Kiseop mentioned to his parents. 

"You'll get to know him," Appa replied coldly. 

"You're breaking up with her. It's what your company wants. They don't want you dating a fellow singer." Kiseop's dad told him.

"They never told me that! Besides, I'm 20 years old. They can't tell me who I can date and can't." Kiseop rolled his eyes.

"That's not true. Your agency told you that you weren't allowed to date anyone who was an idol. You obviously forgot since you broke that rule." His mom scolded him.

"The agency said to destroy those scandals and decrease your bad reputation. They wanted you to get married to someone who wasn't a singer."

Kiseop glared at me. "If I marry a fan, I'll lose more fans!"

"I never said I was a fan of YOU! I just said I liked the album." I remarked and glared back.

"It's your fault you have such a bad attitude." Kiseop's parents stated. Kiseop just scowled quietly.

"We're sorry, Minhee. We didn't want to do this but had to due to certain circumstances. We can't tell you about it yet. This is the only option we have." Appa looked at me with those puppy eyes of his. 

"After five years or so, you can divorce him." Mom tried to cheer me up.

"FIVE years? That's too long!"

"You'll be 23. That's still young. It's when his contract expires."  I didn't want to argue with my parents. But I didn't want to be married to Kiseop for five years without any love. Judging by how he glared at me, I knew our relationship would be unhealthy. 

After dinner, our dads went somewhere, and our moms went to the restroom, so it was just the two of us. We were waiting for them outside the restaurant. 

"So.... We're both against this marriage, but could we at least try to be friends?" I suggested.

"That's not possible." He claimed.

"Why not?" 

"Because if we were friends, I wouldn't be able to do this." He pinned me against the wall and put his lips to mine.

"What the HELL!" I pushed him off. "You ! You just said you had a girlfriend, and then you do this?" I kept trying to wipe my lips.

"Oh... don't tell me... that was your first kiss?" He smirked. 

"Shikkero! (shut up) I take back what I said. I wouldn't want to be friends with a jerk like you who cheats on their girlfriend so easily."

"Who cares? I have to break up with her anyway since we're getting married. I changed my mind, though. I'm not against this marriage anymore. I think it'll be interesting being married to you." He stared at me and his lips. I pushed him again.

"Get away from me, you freakin' ert!" It was the last thing I said before our parents left the restaurant, and we went our separate ways. 

"What happened, Unnie? Why do you look like you're going to cry?" Mimi asked me when I got home. She and Minki came home at the same time as us."It's nothing," I murmured as I went straight to my room. I fell on my bed and punched my pillow. *First kisses are supposed to be special.* 

After that meeting, we met a few more times because of our parents. Not one session went well because we always ended up arguing.

~~~~~

The song ended, and it was time to announce this week's winner on Music Bank. It was between U-Kiss and Infinite.

"And the winner is...." There was a dramatic silence as everyone anticipated the MC would announce the winner. "U-KISS! Congratulations, you guys!"

We watched Kiseop and s hug. A few of them were crying. It was their first win since debuting three years ago. Each of the members had a short thank you speech. Kiseop was the last to speak. "I would like to thank our company, the producers, our style and coordi noonas, my friends, my parents and noona, and last but not least, my fiancee Minhee!"

*Holy crap. Did he say my name? Why would he say that? I didn't do anything for him to be thankful for.*

"Wow, he said your name!" Hwayoung exclaimed.

"Saranghae, Minhee!" He did a heart thing with his arms; I didn't fall for it.

"That's so cute!" Yeonjae squealed.

"No, it's not! He's just being a fake..." I shouted in annoyance, not wanting to swear. Why am I getting married to him anyway? I wanted to ask my parents, but they haven't answered. I'll make sure I get an answer. I have to know exactly what that threat is.