IX. Promises Are Meant To Be Broken

How To Act Like I'm In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Since this fic is almost over, I'm trying to write whenever I can to finish it up lol maybe two chaps more

Check out my newest fic Band-aids pls! It's another Chanbaek fic and in this one, Chanyeol is a bully (for many reasons) and Baekhyun is the victim. It also has side pairings Kaisoo and Hunhan! And a little Krisbaek for drama too lol. It's basically about broken boys trying to fix each other. Not really angsty.

 

 

 

It's only been an hour since Chanyeol left, luggage and all, and Baekhyun is already sulking on the couch, missing his goofy giant. He looked down at the ring adorning his finger, it's jewels sparkling, reminding him of their promises. He ran his finger over the smooth surface, feeling the cool stones on his fingertips, and a sense of familarity comforted him. 

Now that the companay had taken Chanyeol's phone, there was no way for Baekhyun to contact him. He doesn't even know if the taller has a place to stay, being kicked out on such a short notice. Even if Chanyeol memorized Baekhyun's phone number, there was no way of calling the smaller for the company changed his phone number. Before he left, Chanyeol promised to drop by sometimes and sent letters every week, and Baekhyun prayed for him to keep his promise.

As Baekhyun sat there on the couch, waiting for his new manager to show up, his mind can't help but wander to the "what if's", no matter how pointless it might be. He knows regrets won't change the present, but his heart ached at what they could've been. They could've been more than friends, more than just an idol and his manager. They had all the time in the world, and yet Baekhyun did not realize what he had until it's gone. 

If only Baekhyun had realized sooner, that the clenching feeling of his heart whenever Chanyeol stood too near or the jealousy that turned his face sour whenever Chanyeol got too close with someone else, proved his strong feelings for the taller. If only he had kissed Chanyeol sooner, and answered to Chanyeol's confession quicker, they could've started dating sooner. 

They would take peaceful, late-night strolls around the abandoned park, hold hands and steal kisses as if its the most natural thing in the world, and make love to each other every night. 

If only...

Baekhyun's thoughts were interrupted when the doorbell rang.

It must be the new manager, he thought and got up to open the door.

No matter who this new manager is, he can never replace what Chanyeol was to Baekhyun.

The door swung open to reveal a tall man with powerful eyes and eyebrows, just as tall as Chanyeol, if not taller.

"Hi Baekhyun, my name is Wu Yifan, but you can call me Kris. I'm your new manager, nice to meet you," the man held out his hand.

He shook Kris's hand.

"Nice to meet you too."

 

 

 

 

 

A week has passed in silence. Well, as silent as it can be for super star Baekhyun. The number of jobs and bookings were smaller because of the scandal, so there was more time to stay at home, though he wouldn't call it home without Chanyeol being there. Chanyeol did not contact him at all. No letters. No goofy giant showing up at his front door.

He's probably just getting settled, after all, its only been a week, Baekhyun thought.

He ran his slender fingers over the ring, and once again, he felt as if Chanyeol was there with him, comforting him. He was sure that Chanyeol would never break his promises, so he put on a smile in front of the cameras as if the scandal did not bother him at all.

Kris is a nice manager. He would care for Baekhyun and always made sure his schedules are on-time and up-to-date. However, they were no where near how close Baekhyun and Chanyeol were. They did not sleep in the same room and both of them remained a safe distance from each other.

Days trickled by without Baekhyun noticing, and he continued to smile brightly in front of everyone, knowing that Chanyeol will be back. 

But at night, he would allow a tear or two to escape silently as he hugged himself on the oversized bed that Chanyeol would once fill up. He would wrap himself in layers and layers of blankets, imagining it was Chanyeol embracing him, though the warmth did not reach his heart like how Chanyeol always managed to do. Every morning, when he's half conscious, his fingers would sweep the other side of the bed, searching for a giant ball of human sunshine. But once he wakes up fully, he would remember that his sun is no longer next to him. Then he would stare at the ring on his finger that he wore even to sleep, and believe that Chanyeol will be back.

After all, Chanyeol is his and his only, right?

Soon, the schedules began to build up once again as the world slowly forgot about his scandal, and the name Park Chanyeol no longer sparked a recognition in the society. Baekhyun began to realize the time slipping through his fingers, like an ever-flowing river, and no matter how hard he tried to hold it back, it just end up escaping his grasp.

Weeks flew by and not a single letter from Chanyeol.

Baekhyun waited and waited on his doorstep to maybe catch a glimpse of the giant, but he never showed up. 

The nights were no longer silent, but filled with the muffled sobs of the petite idol. He tried to wash away the fear with pouring tears and pathetic self-comfort that maybe Chanyeol is just busy. 

But what could Chanyeol be doing to become so busy that he could not spare even a minute to just meet up with the person he loves?

Maybe he found a new life.

Baekhyun let out a sob at the though of the giant moving on. It can't be possible that Chanyeol is already over him when Baekhyun is still crying rivers for the man he could never stop loving. 

He looked down at the ring that seemd to be gripping on his finger a little too tight. There was no way Chanyeol moved on. Baekhyun still remembers the way Chanyeol loved him, how he waited for years and the love never died. He smiled in the dark, despite the tears staining his cheeks, because once again, he is sure Chanyeol still loves him. There must be a reason for him not to contact Baekhyun.

Baekhyun still believes in Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

 

"Did you sleep well last night?" Kris asked one morning as he stood in the kitchen, making two cups of morning coffee, approximately six months after Chanyeol's departure. The manager asked the same question almost every morning, even if he knew the lie that will come out of the smaller's mouth every single time.

"Yeah."

Today was no exception.

Kris knows what Baekhyun has been going through. He hears the sobs at night and sees the exhaustion on his face. He can see the effect of Chanyeol's abandonement in the way Baekhyun carries himself, and basically in every little action the smaller takes. Baekhyun's smiles never reached his eyes anymore, his shoulders sagged as if in defeat, and he seemed to always be zoning out. Kris was ashamed of how he can never really live up to the title of being Baekhyun's manager. 

Even though the smaller never said anything about Chanyeol to him, Kris can see how strongly and blindly Baekhyun loves him. He admires the smaller for being so loyal and yet foolishly in love. How Baekhyun manages to still trust Chanyeol and his promises, even after the promises have been broken from the other end, Kris does not know. 

Kris doesn't understand why Baekhyun still sits on the door steps waiting for something that will never come, why he still leaves the other side of the bed empty as if one day a certain giant will fill it up again, or why he still faithfully wears the promise on his ring finger every single day.

He doesn't want to see Baekhyun being so naive, so caught up in the past that is no more. 

He thought the least he could do is help him move on.

 

 

 

 

 

"How are you, Baek?" Jongdae asked as he swung an arm around the said boy's shoulder, pulling both of them down onto the couch. 

"I'm fine," Baekhyun said and smiled on instinct, leaning into his friend. 

It's been awhile since the last time he had skinship with anyone. Jongdae's house brought back a sense of familarity as he was reminded of the brighter days in which he would get high with his best friend. Then he remembered the events afterwards with Chanyeol and he immediately regretted thinking about that. He felt warm in Jongdae's embrace, and he just wanted to go to sleep there and never wake up. What a good way to leave.

Jongdae took Baekhyun's hand that still bore the ring.

"You know... you don't have to pretend in front of me," Jongdae said.

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun turned his head to face him.

"Kris told me all about it. You know, I didn't invite you over to drink. I invited you over cause I know you need to let it all out. Cry if you want to, screa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter