Running free I

Stupid, Impossible craziness

 

***

“Morning honey,” Kyungsoo’s mother gently knocked on the door, “time to get ready for school!”

Like every morning Kyungsoo sighed and dragged his feet out of the warm duvet. He knew what awaited him when he got to school. He knew what awaited him during the breaks and the lunch period and the only thing that kept him going was the thought of getting to go home later. Or ever better, to the restaurant. The bullies didn’t know his parents owned the restaurant or that he used to help them out there, and since they didn’t like chicken, they would never come there.

And today would the school council gather up in a last minute meeting. Kyungsoo loved the days the school council gathered up. People would listen to him and he would actually feel like someone cared about what he thought.

So he hurried to get ready and then rushed down the stairs for some breakfast.

“God morning, son,” his father greeted and ruffed his hair. Kyungsoo gave him a smile and crashed down onto the chair next to him.

“You seem happy, what’s happening today?” his mother asked as she served him pancakes. Kyungsoo shrugged.

“I don’t know. The school council’s having a meeting and I have a test in math, other than that, there’s nothing. Hey, do you need help in the restaurant today?”

“Um, no. Not today, you can take the night off. Do some homework, or hang with some friends or do something else fun,” his mother smiled.

“Speaking of, I went to the restaurant yesterday night and everything was finished. Good work, son! Who helped you?”

“Um, no one… Oh, look at the time, I have to get to school!”

He kissed his mothers’ cheek and left in a hurry. Not before he was behind his steering wheel and on his way to school started the panic rush over him. Chul-moo and Dong-young would wait for him. Like everyday, Kyungsoo considered turning back, telling his parents he wasn’t feeling well and just stay home from school, but he knew better. No matter if he did it today, tomorrow or next week, they would still wait for him. This wouldn’t go away so there was no point in fleeing.

Kyungsoo pulled the car over, his hands shaking too much to drive. He took a few deep breaths as a tear rolled down his cheek.

Come on Kyungsoo, you’ve dealt with this for two years now. Don’t let them bring you down like this, he told himself.

Kyungsoo wasn’t a miserable kid. His parents weren’t fighting, they didn’t hit him and he hadn’t really been through weird stuff as kid. In fact, his life was very normal. He had had friends when he was younger, before the bullies. It wasn’t like he was something special and made a big fuss about himself. Before, he could stand up for himself. Before, he wouldn’t allow them to treat him like that. Yet they did and he didn’t really know why. It wasn’t like he mocked them. He did well in school, sure, but his scores weren’t that marvelous.

Kyungsoo took a look at the time. The first class started in twenty minutes. He sighed and whipped his tears as he rolled out on the road again. Better get this day over with.

 

‘American horror story’ theme song played as Kyungsoo drove into the school parking lot. First thing he saw when he stepped out was Dong-young’s ugly smile.

“If it isn’t our missis gay-princess,” he said. Kyungsoo gave him a glare. Then Chul-moo joined up as well and swung his arm around his shoulder and squeezed as much as he could. Kyungsoo waned to cry. Not just that it hurt as a , but the feeling of having his arm on him gave him the creeps.

“You’re so squishy, my little ugly meatball.”

They entered the school building and the first thing they met was Jongin and Suho. They stopped and blinked at the three of them.

“H-Hi Kyungsoo,” Jongin said and glanced at the arm around his shoulder. Kyungsoo tried to send him mental calls for help, but then it hit him that, why would he help him? They barely knew each other.  The incident at the restaurant yesterday was just to be nice.

Kyungsoo smiled. He was supposed to do that, to make everything about Chul-moo, his and Dong-young’s ‘friendship’ look normal.

“Hi.”

Jongin and Suho turned to go again and Kyungsoo’s heart fell. He was stupid for even thinking they would help him.

“Hey Kyungsoo!” Suho then said, “Can we talk with you for a moment?”

He quickly turned around and in a heartbeat broke free from Chul-moo’s grip. “Sure!”

“You have math, right? Come on, we’ll walk you!” Suho smiled, then eying the bullies.

Kyungsoo didn’t know how to express the thankfulness he felt. Chul-moo and Dong-young wouldn’t hurt him with them around.

“So Kyungsoo, we’re all watching the game tonight. You should come too!” Jongin said when they were outside of the classroom.

Kyungsoo turned around to stare at them. “W-why?”

“It would be fun!” he blinked, “We’ll save a seat.”

“Sure, thanks…”

Then someone swung an arm around Kyungsoo again and he froze.

Not here! Not now! Not yet!

“That’s awesome,” the person with his arm around his neck then said. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he looked up at the person. It wasn’t Chul-moo but Chanyeol who had his arm around him. And he was smiling at him; “I hope you’ll cheer for me then?”

D.O slowly nodded his head up and down. “Though, I don’t know that much of football…”

“It’s fine! Then we’re two!” Baekhyun suddenly appeared next to him.

This situation felt very odd to Kyungsoo. Too many people focused on him. They almost felt… friendly. He mentally shook his head. No. People kept a distance from him. They didn’t want to be his friends.

“Well, we better get to class as well…” Suho said and left. Chanyeol didn’t take his arm away as they entered the classroom, and his mouth couldn’t shut up.

“My mom used to make me some disgusting chicken soup, and I didn’t have the heart to tell her how horrible it was. I swear it was terrible! I even have nightmares about it now! So, it’s a good thing we’re friends now…” the world almost disappeared for a moment and all he could hear was the word ‘friends’. Friends, friends, friends! Then Baekhyuns’ snicker woke him up.

“We’ve all tried that soup Chanyeol… Let me tell you something Kyungsoo, it’s worse than terrible!”

“Gentlemen…” Mrs. Park then interrupted, “do you mind if I start my class now?”

“I’m so sorry, songsengnim!” D.O bow.

“No, please do, we won’t mind at all!” Chanyeol stupidly blinked.

“Thank you Chanyeol, how nice of you!” the teacher sarcastically said.

 

“! ING PHONE!” Luhan shout and resist the urge to throw it to the floor.

“Wow… No hard feelings to the phone!” Jongdae whistles as he watches Luhan’s emotional breakdown. Luhan takes a few deep breaths.

“I ing hate this game,” he mutters.

“Here, let me try!” Jongdae asks and reaches for the phone. He takes a look at the screen and then sends a look to Luhan.

“I’m judging you so hard right now man.”

“What? It’s addictive!”

“Temple run? Dude, it was so two years ago!”

“It’s still addictive!”

Jongdae ignores him and starts the game. “What’s your highest score?”

“2 244 023,” Luhan says proudly. Jongdae gives him a quick judging glance while playing.

“Eyo, whatddup?” Chanyeol crashes down next to them.

“Jongdae thinks he can beat me in temple run,” Luhan explains.

“Oh, honey, I don’t just think it, I stake my whole pride on it.”

“Phft, what pride,” Luhan snorts, “you beat me and I’ll give you free ride to school for a week.”

“Free ride anywhere?”

“Deal. You won’t make it anyway.”

Jongdae smirks and turns the phone to Luhan. “2 244 024, that.”

Chanyeol explodes and pat Luhan on the back, “Life’s hard man!” he says while trying to breath.

“Is it some kind of a joke? One FREAKING POINT? No! I won’t do it!”

“Sorry honey, a bet’s a bet…” Jongdae smiles, probably a little to happy with himself. Luhan groans.

“Hey, I think I’ll actually re-download this game. Playing it again brought up some fine memories.”

“You mean memories like the time you pissed yourself because you didn’t want to lose the game just for the cause you’d be forced to move to the toilet?” Luhan fresh up his memory.

“Or when you threw a party because you’d finally bought that character?” Chanyeol snickered.

“Hey, I played hardcore and saved for like a week to get that football player.”

“Oh, remember that time-“

“WE GET IT, I LIKED TEMPLE RUN!”

Luhan and Chanyeol look at each other and laugh while holds their stomachs, “Please, download it! I want more of those parties!”

“I bet’cha do! My parties are fabulous!”

Chanyeol sheepishly smiles, “I remember that time you made Baekhyun take off all his clothes… because there was a sudden ‘fire’ in his shirt… and he jumped into the pool… and I had to comfort him all night…”

“And he refused to wear a shirt for like a moth after? Of course you enjoyed that, ert, maybe even a little too much than was necessary.”

Chanyeol snickered and didn’t even try to hide how pleased he was.

“Um, shouldn’t we be at practice now?” Luhan then asks his captain as he watches the time.

“Shoot! Yes we should! , now we’ll have to run all those extra rounds and I’m gonna look all tired and messed up later at the game in front of Baek… I didn’t even bring my straightener today!” they ran off and left by the table we had Chen. Alone.

He sighed, “Why not download it.”

 

“Have you seen Chen?” Tao asks Sehun as they finish class.

“You mean while I was in class right next to you? No. Why, have you?”

“No…”

“Why, what do you want him?”

“Nothing.”

“Hyung tell me!”

“No.”

“Tell me hyung! Tell meeeee!”

“You shouldn’t mind the elders business. And the puppy eyes won’t work,” Tao snapped.

Sehun tries even harder with a supposed-to-be-cute glare as he trembles his lower lip. “You’re only older by a few months.”

“And those are some very important few months. They are what parts this,” he says motions at himself, ”from you. -Ah, Suho!” he then breaths and waves a little.

“What’s the matter?” Suho asks and sends Sehun concerned glances.

“Have you-“ Tao starts but if cut off.

“HYUNG’S MEAN!” Sehun cries and throw himself onto Suho.

“What?” Suho blinks confused.

“He won’t tell me what he wants with Jongdae!” Sehun sobs and tightens his hug, knowing the effect he has on his elder.

“Tao…” Suho sends a meaning look, “be good to your younger brother!”

“But, JUNMYEON! He’s annoying!”

“I’m not!”

“You are!”

“I’m not!” Sehun says and sticks his thong out. Tao quickly grabs his hair and pull for all he’s worth and immediately Sehun calls out one heartbreaking scream, “Suho hyung, help me!”

Junmyeon steppes between the two of them and threatening pulls Tao closer to him, “That’s not how you treat your friends Tao. Now, apologize and tell Sehun what you want to say to Jongdae,” he ordered.

“I won’t!” Tao crossed his arms and glared at Sehun.

“Then I’ll have to punish you… No Gucci for a month.”

“WHAT?! HYUNG YOU CAN’T DO THAT!”

“Oh, watch me. Now go to class. Imma take Sehun with me. He looks like he needs some ice cream or something. My poor sweetheart!”

“HYUNG! PLEASE! A WEEK’S ENOUGH!” Tao screams after them. Junmyeon firmly shakes his head.

“THREE WEEKS AT LEAST?”

“Two months now, and if you keep nagging I’ll just make it longer,” then Suho and Sehun were gone, and the last thing Tao saw was Sehun teasingly sticking out his tongue again.

“ing Junmyeon. Always favors Sehun. I want ice cream too!” he mutters as he bumps into Kris –whom is supposed to be on practice-, “GE!” he then cries and throw himself into the elders arms, “JUNMYEON’S MEAN!”

 

The rest of the day goes by pretty smoothly. No one has seen Jongdae since lunch though, but no one really cares. Except for Tao, who really needed to talk to him.

“Tao, stop. You’re going to eat your fingers up,” Kris says and gives Tao’s nails a disgust glare, “forget you get to hold my hand later on.”

Tao sends him the puppy eyes, “But hyung, I really need to find Jongdae. Can’t you help me?”

“No, I need to get to class. Bad enough I miss the football practice.”

Tao gives him another glare, “You said you would do anything to miss that practice.”

“Yes, because of personal reasons.”

“Being concerned about your appearance for the big game later isn’t a excuse good enough to call a personal reason.”

“I didn’t bring any bb cream today, okay?”

“Still not good enough…” Tao says and crosses his arms on his chest.

“What do you want Jongdae anyways?” Kris asks.

“Umm…” Tao looks around in the room, looking anywhere but Kris in the eyes.

Kris narrows his eyes at Tao, “what. do. you. want. Jongdae?”

“Just help with something. Oh, look at the time! We’re only thirty minutes late for class, better scoot ourselves over there before we miss the whole .”

“As if you care about school,” Kris snaps and stops Tao by putting one hand on each side of him, closing him up. Tao sighs and keeps his voice calm.

“Hyung… Please let me go before Imma wushu your .”

“You wouldn’t dare,” Kris said slowly and kept his gaze nailed on Tao until the tears started to break out from Tao’s vulnerable eyes.

“I will tell you, please just don’t be like this!” Tao started to cry.

“Then spit it! Now.”

 

“Yah! Where’s Kris? We need him for practice!” Chanyeol bitts his lip and toss concerned looks at the door.

“Calm yourself. We can handle one practice without the fullback,” Luhan said, “He’s probably hooking up with some girl and pleads she’ll come and cheer for him during the game. It’ll just be more fun to see him fail in front of her, since he misses the new strategy- Oh look, Minseok’s here!” Luhan left Chanyeol’s side and headed towards Minseok, who looked completely lost. “Hey! Why are you here?”

Minseok looked around in the room and then to Luhan, “I was thinking of trying this football-thing out… I heard you were out of one player.”

“Yeah, we need a tackle,” Luhan eyes Xiumin, “but I don’t know man. I don’t think you’re so fit for that position.”

“C’mon, at least let me try! Jongdae keeps nagging me all the time because I’m not cool enough. Apparently I bring his image down.”

“What image?” Luhan scoffs, “I dunno, talk to Chanyeol.”

“Thanks, and um, Sehun was looking for you!”

“What? Where?”

Minseok pointed at something outside and Luhan immediately ran out.

“Hey Chanyeol, cap, ma man!” Minseok tried, while manly hitting his arm, as an attempt too look cool. Chanyeol turned around and gazed down on Minseok.

“What?” he blinked.

“Ya got someone kicked out recently? Need some expert fill-in?”

“What?” Chanyeol blinked again.

“Are you having tryout or what?” Minseok rolled his eyes.

“Aaaaaah, yeah, for the tackle position. Why, you know anyone?”

Minseok looked down and motioned himself, then he sent Chanyeol a meaning look.

“What?”

“Me, you idiot! I want to tryout!”

“Um, no. That’s not going to be possible. You’re too small.”

“That’s discriminating! Come on, I really need to get in to the team!”

“Well, I guess we have one position for you… If you can handle it?”

 

“Look! I found Jongdae!” Jongin says and pointed at some corner in the hallway. Immediately Tao came plowing through the crowd.

“HYUUUUUUUUNG! ING JONGDAE!” he screamed, “I’ve been looking all over for you!” he reaches the corner and finds Jongdae there all hooked up in his phone. “What are you doing?”

With bloodshot eyes and a creepy insane look on his quite frightening face he slowly moves his gaze up to Tao and mumbles something impossible to understand.

“What…?”

“Youjjjustbrokemyscore.”

Tao sent a worried look to Kai, who just shrugged.

“What did you just say?” Tao asked again and Jongdae glittered his teeth.

“YOU ERS JUST BROKE MY DAMN SCORE! HAPPY?! I was so close! So close. Jongdae, we were so close, how could you just loose this? We’re such a failure! What? Master’s mad now? Jongdae, this is your fault. Your fault. My fault,” he insanely looked around while talking to himself, “he’s going to kill me, precious. What have we done now? So close! Arg! Redo! Redo –no, I can’t! There’s no way…”

Tao and Jongin watched as he pulled his hair and screamed at himself.

“Is this the cue for us to call a mental hospital?” Jongin leans in on Tao and whispers.

“Um… Yes, I believe it is,” Tao retorts.

“Ah,” Jongin nods his head understanding, ”so… you feel like calling?”

“Nope.”

“Me neither.”

“Yah! I need your help Jongdae!” Tao hits his head. Jongdae slowly looks back to him.

“Did you hear that, precious? He thinks he can use me,” Jongdae whispers to his phone and caresses it. Then he creepily starts laughing, “Listen human, if I should even call you that; you look more like some messed up panda-creature placed on earth to annoy everyone, if you want my help you have to help me too.”

Tao eyed him, “yeah?”

A smirk appeared on Jongdaes’ face, “Precious! We’ve got him! Gehehehehe, we’ve soon got what we want.”

“Um, I’m actually kinda worried, Tao-“

“Oh, you know this animal? A friend maybe?” Jongdae asks Jongin as he giggles.

“Jongdae, you know him too, he’s-“

“I’m not Jongdae, precious. My spiritual name’s Chen. Chen, Chen, Chen!”

“What are you guys doin’?” Yixing comes going towards them.

“Precious. They want you! I’ll protect you-”

“Jongdae- Chen I mean, believes he’s Sméagol...” Jongin explains.

“Imma help him with something apparently,” Tao adds. They all stare at Jongdae, then Yixing bends down to his height.

“I know a therapist Jongdae. Wanna come with me to the next meeting?”

Jongdae eyes him up and down and a suspicious look appears on his face, “He speaks of some therapist, precious. Is he trustable?”

They all blinked as they awaited the answer. Soon, Jongin grew tired.

“…. Aaanyways, the game’s about to start. Come on Sméagol, earlier today you made a promise to attend, let’s go,” Jongin says and literally drags the creature up on his feet.

“WAIT! Hyung, I still need help!” Tao screams as he rushes after.

 

“One two three, ooooOOOOH BEASTS!” the football-dressed boys shouted as they did their usual pep-yelling-talk-thing, “OKAY GUYS! YOU KNOW THE RULES. Let’s play,” Chanyeol cheered, due to it was his duty as captain to make his players motivated.

“Wow, what a talk cap,” Jimin rolls his eyes, “Kris?”

“Um, not that I have prepared or so but- GO OUT THERE YOU ERS AND WIN THE . I AM PERSONALLY GOING TO MURDER YOU OTHERWISE. YOU KNOW WHAT WE’VE BEEN PRACTICING FOR THE LAST HALF YEAR, AND IT’S NOT TO LET THEM RUN OVER US LIKE LAST TIME. SO IF I SEE ANYONE DOING WHATEVER BESIDES FROM WHAT YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO DO –I’m talking about you now Chanyeol- I’M GOING TO LITERALLY REMOVE YOUR SPINE FROM YOUR BODY, AND THAT’S NOT GOING TO BE PRETTY.”

And so they did their thing again as the speakers turned up and a radio-Tao-voice appeared, “Ladies and gentlemen’s, it’s finally time again for this seasons game! Let me introduce to you, our very own Beasts, the pride of SMhigh School, the reason we can afford your books –quick advertising, buy cheep fashion-advice directly from Luhan, Luhan everybody. Hurry before the spring season’s rolling in, you’ll find him on the field in exactly ten minutes, that was all for now- so now guys let’s –oh, I just got another call from the most admirable, awesomest, handsomest, coolest, Kris Wu everybody, and he’s advertising… HIMSELF! So yay for Kris- now cut to the case, let’s all welcome our own team and open the caves so we can finally, EVERYBODY~-

“LET OUT THE BEASTS!” everyone who attended the game –and anybody nearby- screamed as eleven dudes came outrunning on the field and greeted the audience.

“We’re awesome,” Luhan whispered to Kris as they waved.

“I’m awesome,” Kris replied and flashed his smiled even more.

Up in the audience Baekhyun were practically making Kyungsoo deaf as he jumped up and down, screaming Chanyeols’ name.

“Whom do you cheer for?” Jongin leaned over and asked. Kyungsoo shrugged.

“Our teem?”

“Don’t worry, just scream the name ‘Chanyeol’ with all you’re worth. That’s what the whole game is all about,” Baekhyun screamed in his ear. D.O nodded a little, then he took a deep breath.

“CHANYEOL HYUNG FIGHTING!” he then screamed on the top of his lungs. He then smiled satisfied with himself; this was probably the best day of his life.

***

So this was going to be a long chapter, before I decided to devide it into two, so you can expect a part two on this one too. Weird how I never can find a good ending... Well well, that's life. Hope yours rolls like the buffalo it's supposed to roll as. LOL wat. Hehe, anyways, bye for now! You're the amazeballs