I am Haneul

Make them One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was angry.

No.

I was furious.

Why?

The stupidest reason in the world. I must be hormonal, or something, because I never thought I could get so possessive over something that wasn't even mine.

Jongin had a date. The girl was nice and all - sure, I didn't know her that well - but I didn't care. The only thing that I could feel was that everything was wrong and out of order and the world was going to end unless I made sure Jongin was forever single. Maybe I don't like change, or maybe I'm jealous because of some reason which I'm sure isn't real, but I find my reaction unreasonable, despite the fact that it wouldn't go away.

Minseok was very concerning during Algebra as I felt like I was going to throw up every three seconds while figuring out parabolas, or something. I wasn't, and usually am not, listening during the lesson. He was such a sweet heart, too, but I probably looked like a zombie and I don't even really know why.

The others seemed to have similar reactions during the day, except a few, which had knowing glances that made me want to strangle them. Helena and I have gotten no where with our project so far, so I had no idea what to do with my time anymore but resume lessons with Chanyeol and Zitao.

And then, when I learned that the date was at seven, in the local ice cream shop, the feeling I had finally formed into a strong determination to stop this stupid date where it started.

That's why, at six thirty, I was sneaking inside the ice cream shop and borrowing a waitress uniform, serving tables despite my first day on the job. The uniform was a cutesy pink dress and frilly white apron. I felt a lot like Strawberry Shortcake as I walked to tables and handed them a sundae menu and gave them time to decide what toppings and flavors they wanted as they sat down at tables.

Yes, I finally concluded that I am, in fact, losing my mind. This might as well be a TV show for how strange it was getting, but, at least I don't use the same ideas as other shows for the next episodes. No, I come up with my own crap.

And crap it is, I think to myself as Jongin appears with a cute blonde girl on his arm. He was smiling politely as he opened the door for her. She steps inside in her cute little blue dress and chooses a seat. One of the actually peoples who work here goes by and hands them menus.

Jongin orders a simple chocolate marshmallow creme malt and the girl takes some fruit flavored thing, but I don't pay much attention. They each and make small talk, the girl seeming much more into it than Jongin.

Then, the fatal choice. He gets a dab of ice cream on the side of his lips and the girl giggles. I grip the towel in my hand tighter as I wipe down a table and stare at them. So far I've been doing a good job at looking away when she looks in my direction.

The girl makes some comment about how she'll get what he can't seem to feel and I feel the sensation in my stomach boil a bit, swooping in with something I randomly grabbed off the counter.

"Hey, guys. Oh, Jongin. I'm sorry, I didn't see you. Would you guys like desser- wait, this is dessert... Main course? No....uh...SPRINKLES! Would you like some sprinkles?" I practically yell in my flustered attempt to intervene and hold up the thing in my hand, which just so happens to be a bottle of rainbow sprinkles. the girl gives me a polite smile.

"No thank you. We're fine." She insists and I nod my head.

"Oh yes. Of course you are." I mumble and give her a smile back, feeling awkward, "Uh, Jongin, you have something right there."

I gesture to the side of my mouth and he continues to blink at me, but lifts up a napkin and wipes the ice cream off. I give them a thumbs up and shuffle away.

Now I want to scream - preferably into a pillow while alone, but the guys have been hanging around my apartment so often that I'm almost never alone anymore.

I'm not lonely anymore, so I shouldn't complain too much. It's good that they're not pushing that Haneul stuff at me, too.

I feel the space between my shoulder blades throb yet again, which has been happening often, and roll my shoulders in a weak attempt to make it stop. I go into the back room and change into my normal clothes again now that I feel ashamed and run a hand through my hair.

Then, suddenly, I'm not in the backroom. I'm standing in front of my apartment, seeing the store's windows closed and dark. In my suddenly panic and shock I start screaming in confusion, hugging my arms close and pulling a leg off the ground to partially curl into a ball. My arms go over my head and I spin in circles, trying to figure out what just happened.

Instead of getting any rational thoughts, I feel the scrape of asphalt under my feet as I take off running without another thought. I pass by stores as I keep screaming, like I was being chased by monsters. It's better to let everyone know I'm insane now rather than later, anyway.

Soon enough, I've passed the campus and started diving into the trees that separate the campus from the rest of the world.

The storm overhead seems to grow as I run, but my voice has finally stopped so I can breath in my sprint. I seem to pass by the trees without really seeing them in my confused run. The slight snow from the beginning of winter had melted a while ago, but it's like I could taste it as I kept going, breathing in the shar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter