Chapter 09

If you Stay

Kyungsoo reluctantly woke early and began readying himself for the gruelling weekend ahead of him. He pulled a dark sweater over his head with a huff. Slinging his duffel bag over his shoulder he drudged his way toward the door, his mother following behind. Climbing into the passenger seat of the car he let out a disgruntled sigh. “I don’t care how much you sigh and pout, you are going on this camp. You signed up for a sport and you will do the camp, you baby.” His mum scowled rolling her eyes.

 “Its extra credit, I didn’t think there’d be a camp.” He huffed, staring out the window.
They pulled up to the school and Kyungsoo was about to exit the car when his mother pulled him into a hug, kissing his cheek. “My sweet baby. Be safe, ok?” he smiled as she ran a attentive hand through his thick black hair.
“Ugh mum, stop.” Kyungsoo whined as he struggled out of her embrace. He jumped out of the car, pulling out his duffle bag with him.
“Aww cute.” Jongin laughed. Kyungsoo let out a frustrated sigh when He saw the boy standing with Chanyeol, both of the boys laughing. He walked to join the two.
“So you excited.” Chanyeol smiled.
“Hardly” Kyungsoo mumbled.

”So I hear about you and Alana” Chanyeol chuckled, a playful smiling on his face.
“W-w-what did you hear?” Kyungsoo stammered, eye wide in horror and lips trembling.
“Don’t be coy, Samantha told me EVERYTHING.”  Chanyeol replied with a wink. Pink spread across Kyungsoo’s pale cheeks. He didn’t what Chanyeol knew, nor did he know how to respond. Had Alana gone against her word and told everyone? He shook the thought from his head, he trusted her. He truly did. But even so, what was Chanyeol referring to.
“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo asked, forcing a smile, to mask the tension.
“Wow you’re committed to this aren’t you. Alana told Samantha how you finally got lucky. You know for a smart kid you’re really dense.”  Chanyeol chuckled. Kyungsoo broke out into laughter; he couldn’t believe how relieved he was. Alana not only kept his secret but went a step further and lied about their ual experience? She truly was an amazing girl, If only she weren’t a girl. Jongin seemed to be shocked by the news. He was looking back from Chanyeol to Kyungsoo who were both laughing. Chanyeol shoved Jongin “wow you can’t be that shocked, I mean yeah it took three weeks but still that’s a little harsh Jongin.” Chanyeol chuckled. Before Jongin could respond the teacher informed them to board the bus. Chanyeol sat with Tao, also on the soccer team, which left Jongin and Kyungsoo to sit with each other.
The trip was awkward, the two sat in silence for most of it, and any attempt that Kyungsoo made at conversation with Jongin was brushed off. When Kyungsoo tried to ask what Jongin was listening to the taller male ignored him, pretending he couldn’t hear the smaller male. Jongin knew he was re-acting immaturely. They were dating so they had every right, and just because he had some stupid crush didn’t mean that Kyungsoo belonged to him. But refusing to be sensible he continued to punish Kyungsoo for his actions with the silent treatment.

When they reached the camp they were ushered from the bus and into the hall. The teachers informed them they had the freedom to choose their own cabin mates. Almost as soon as the words left the instructors mouth the students were in a scramble. “4 TOO A CABIN!” the instructor tried to inform over the chaos. Students were forming groups of four at rapid rates and Kyungsoo found himself standing dumbfounded. Chanyeol grabbed his arm and pulled him toward Tao and Jongin, forming a group of four. Once all students were grouped they were assigned cabins and moved off to drop their belongings into the cabins. Kyungsoo and Jongin remained silent as Chanyeol and Tao chattered away on their walk to the cabin, the former two lagging behind. The four entered the room and noticed there was an ensuite to the right of the entrance and past that the room opened up revealing two bunk beds either side of the room. Chanyeol rushed and launched himself onto the top bunk of the right bunk, throwing his bag up before himself. The others remained on the ground.
Tao was the first to speak. “Which bunk do you want?” He asked turning his attention to Kyungsoo.
“The bottom if possible” Kyungsoo replied with a timid smile.  Tao proceeded to climb onto the other top bunk without consulting Jongin. The other two were left with the bottom bunks.  Kyungsoo the left and Jongin the right.
They left the cabin and made their way back to the hall as instructed. They were split off into groups of their respective sports and moved off ready for activates. Kyungsoo was led to the gym, where they would be doing stamina exercises to improve their times.
After the first training session the students made their way to the dining hall. Kyungsoo quickly located Chanyeol in the chaos, the boy stood like a beacon towering above all others. the other two were in Chanyeol’s company and Kyungsoo smiled and greeted all three with relief.
The boys discussed the day’s activities so far as they ate their lunch. Jongin un-characteristically silent. Kyungsoo frowned at the boy; he didn’t understand what was wrong with him, nor how to fix it. He had been behaving differently the whole day, with no explanation, or words at all for that matter. Kyungsoo focused his attention on Jongin, hoping that Jongin would meet his gaze. But the boy’s eyes were cast downward. Tension grew as the boys began to become aware of Jongin’s foul mood. “What’s up with you?”  Chanyeol asked, with a concerned smile.
“Nothing, I’m peachy.” Jongin grumbled, without lifting his gaze.

 

 

 

 

 

Ah Sorry this chapter felt weak :/