Chapter 01

If you Stay

As Kyungsoo sat at his desk tapping his pen against the desk at a steady pace, his eyes began to glaze over, becoming unfocused. As he felt himself falling into the calming caress of sleep due to the teachers lecture of the performance of the last exam, which he was not there to sit, he began to slump in his chair, his tapping on the desk slowing. 
The loud clanging of the bell startled Kyungsoo causing him to sit up with a jolt from his slumber. Calming his heart rate, he sighed gathering his things. When he lifted his gaze from his belongings he noticed a pair of eyes staring back at him. When he met the gaze of his class mate he felt the heat of embarrassment spread across his porcelain cheeks. Quickly looking back to his bag, he stood, rushing from the classroom and toward the library, where he hoped to be safe from the embarrassment of the day’s previous events. 
_______
He always knew how to make a great impression. And that’s exactly what Kyungsoo did on his first day of class at his new school. Standing before the class he was greeted in the usual manner, name announced, his previous schools name. He went to bow when everyone greeted him welcome, but managed to slam his face into the desk of the student he was standing in front of. Stumbling back he tripped over the teacher’s foot, bringing both of them to the ground. Pink spread across his cheeks and he rushed to his assigned desk past his laughing classmates, in the back left of the class where he proceeded to wallow for the rest of the lesson. 
________
As he stepped through the sleek glass automatic doors into the air-conditioned bliss of the library, Kyungsoo inhaled deeply, letting out a satisfied sigh at his current surroundings. He made his way through the book shelves to the far right corner of the wide library hall, where he sat at a small desk and unpacked his work. He sat in silence for the duration of his lunch break, completing his missed work from his nap earlier, while he grazed on his small packed lunch. 
When the bell signalled the end of his break he hurriedly packed his work and made his way to his next class. The dread of potentially embarrassing himself again weighed upon his shoulders as he neared the classroom. He entered the doorway and apart from the odd glance, very few acknowledged him, which meant that news of his previous actions had not spread throughout the school. He made his way to his seat without drawing unwanted attention to himself and sighed with relief. He assumed he must be plain enough that no one would pay him attention, which as a new student, was exactly what he wanted. When more of his classmates took their seats and the teacher entered ready to start the lesson he felt odd, as though he was being watched. He lifted his gaze locking eyes with the same boy from earlier. The boy didn’t look away as you would expect in this situation, instead he continued his stare, a smirk dancing on his lips. Heat filled Kyungsoo’s cheeks with a mix of embarrassment and rage. ‘How rude’ he thought to himself as he turned his attention back to the teacher, absently taking down notes. ‘He could at least have the decency to look away, no one else seems to care about my incident from the other day, why would he? Jerk.’
“Psssst” Kyungsoo frowned, turning his head slightly to the left. He was unsure as to whether the comment was meant for him and didn’t dare risk embarrassing himself again. “Psssst, new guy, hey, yeah you.” Kyungsoo lifted his eyes from his work carefully and turned to the direction of the voice, there was no doubt that they were talking to him. Kyungsoo’s eyes landed on a boy to the left of him. They were around the same height, he even had a thin build, similar to himself. The boy had light blonde hair and wore thick framed black glasses, a friendly smile was situated broadly across his face. 
“Yes?” Kyungsoo whispered back, eyes darting to the front of the room to make sure the teacher hadn’t heard him.
“I’m Baekyun, I was hoping to introduce myself at lunch but you ran off so fast I couldn’t get you.”
Kyungsoo was surprised by the boy, he hadn’t had anyone talk to him yet, he was still the ‘new kid’ someone to be avoided. Only ever observed, never approached. “Right.” He began, realising he had taken longer than required to reply, “Well hey, I’m Kyungsoo; I guess you know that already though…” News of new students usually travelled fast among high schools.
As Kyungsoo’s words trailed off Baekyun bore a wide smile and turned his attention back to the teacher directing the lesson. Kyungsoo found that he too was mirroring the boys smile. He was worried he wouldn’t make any friends here like he had at his last school, but this seemed promising. He eyed Baekyun with a subtle smile, wondering whether this would be the beginning of a new friendship. However, when he lifted his gaze back to the front of the class he saw the boy from earlier watching him.