Chapter 02

If you Stay

As Kyungsoo made his way to school, he enjoyed the warm spring air that ran through his thick black hair. He wasn’t particularly fond of the crowding of the bus, so he opted to walk to school. However after twenty minutes of walking he realised he had misjudged the length of the walk and risked being late to school. He quickened his pace but accepted that his effort wasn’t going to make a great deal of difference. A sigh escaped his plump lips as frustration forced his eyebrows together. When stopped at a pedestrian crossing Kyungsoo tapped his foot along to the beat playing through his headphones. 
“HEY! Kyungsoo!” 
Lifting his gaze from the pavement Kyungsoo saw the car stopped at the pedestrian contained Baekyun, the boy who talked to him yesterday. 
“You’re going to be late if you walk, get in I can give you a lift.”
Baekhyun’s words surprised Kyungsoo, but not wanting to be late to school so soon after having just moved there, he moved cautiously toward the car, a smile forming on his lips as he nodded in thanks. He slipped into the passenger seat of the small vehicle, clipping the seatbelt across his narrow figure. He turned his attention to the boy in the driver’s seat. “Thanks.”
“No problem, we’re going the same way so it’s not an issue. Why didn’t you catch the bus?”
“I thought I’d walk.”
“From this suburb, at this time? Doesn’t seem like that was thought through very well.” Kyungsoo would have thought Baekhyun was making fun of him, however the gentle laugh that he added calmed his thoughts and he found himself laughing along.
“Yeah, I guess not.” Kyungsoo moved his gaze downwards to his clasped hands. Pink spread across his cheeks from the heat of his embarrassment, it was silly of him to have thought he could walk all the way to school at this time. ‘You just can’t help yourself, you’ll always look dumb if you act this way’ he thought to himself. Once they arrived at school and found a car park they made their way toward the school building. As they walked in step they chatted casually, which surprised Kyungsoo, they had more in common than he had originally thought.
They soon parted ways as they headed to their own classes, Kyungsoo entered his English room with an absent smile on his face. That smile was soon forgotten as he raised his gaze, instantly locking eyes with the boy who always seemed to be watching him. His eyebrows drew together and his eyes shifted to the floor as he moved towards the back of the class, all the while, feeling the boys gaze follow him. He didn’t lift his gaze in the boy’s direction for the duration of the lesson, he instead tried to push the boy from his mind and focus on his work. ‘Why does he keep looking at me?’ He thought to himself. He wasn’t used to being the focus of anyone’s attention and especially not someone who seemed to be commonly accepted as ‘popular’. He couldn’t understand the motive. ‘Maybe he’s planning something, a way to humiliate me.’ He knew he was jumping to conclusions, but still, he decided he would keep his distance from the vigilant boy, lest he be humiliated. 
When lunch rolled around Kyungsoo was invited to sit with Baekyun, and against his better judgement, he decided that he would join them. He rationalised that if he wanted friends he had to socialise, and although he wouldn’t get time to study in the library, he could just put in an extra hour that night. He followed Baekyun to the lunch table where another two male students sat. One was pale and small framed, his light blonde hair framed his face and emphasized the delicacy of his features, he was feminine but identifiable as male. The other was taller, he had an angular face and his hair was swept to left, away from his face. Kyungsoo smiled at the men before him and took his place at the table, placing his tray of food on the table. 
“This is the new kid in my English class, his name is Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo this is Luhan” He gestured to the small fairy-like male. “And this is Sehun.” He said pointed in the direction of the taller male. 
“Hi” Kyungsoo said with an awkward smile, distorting his lips. 
The conversation between the four flowed easily and Kyungsoo found himself relaxing as the chatter continued. The boys seemed surprised to learn of his commitment to his schooling and the amount of time he put into studying, however unlike most they didn’t mock his efforts, instead they seemed impressed. Kyungsoo allowed himself to smile as he felt himself being accepted into their group. A strange sensation washed over him and he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He turned his head and found the gaze of the boy from English on him. Kyungsoo however did not avert his gaze this time, he matched the boys gaze until a smile spread across his lips and he drew his attention elsewhere. Although he felt a sense of accomplishment, having made the boy look away before him, Kyungsoo still found himself feeling uncomfortable. Why was this boy so interested in him?
When he walked into his language class he found himself cursing the heavens when his eyes fell on the boy from English. His eyes then drifted to the empty seat next to the boy. The only empty seat in the room. He walked reluctantly toward the available seat at the back of the room, sure to keep his gaze on his feet. When he slowly lowered himself into the seat his breathing became unsteady as fear began to wash over his body. He didn’t know why this boy seemed so interested and didn’t want to find out. 
“Hey, I’m Kim Jongin; we’re in the same English.” The boy bore a smile as he introduced himself. His eyes warm and inviting. 
“Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo replied, his fear making his voice uneasy. 
Kyungsoo drew his attention away from the boy, Jongin, to the front of the room scribbling in his notebook whatever the teacher wrote on the board. He stole occasional glances at the boy beside him, noticing how handsome he was. He had a strong jaw and a slender yet strong build. He was tall, close to 6ft Kyungsoo guessed. He found himself staring at the boy and was back into reality when called upon to answer a question he had not heard by the teacher. Embarrassed Kyungsoo’s cheeks tinged with pink and Jongin chuckled, which deepened the colour in his cheeks. For the duration of the lesson Kyungsoo ensured his attention was on his work and not on the tall male to his left. It frustrated him that he got in trouble at the fault of the stranger. Although he was the one at fault, he wasn’t ready to admit that. 
When he lay in bed that night, Kyungsoo went over the events of the day in his head. He smiled at the thought of the budding friendship he was finding in Baekyun, Luhan and Sehun. His smile turned to a scowl when his mind wondered to Jongin. He couldn’t understand the boy. He seemed nice enough but had an off feeling about him, uneasy he his side to face the wall. When he closed his eyes the image of Jongin was all he could see, his strong jaw, full lips, and hooded black eyes, staring back into his own. Shaking his head Kyungsoo huffed. He tried to force the image of the man from his head but found himself falling asleep to the thought of Jongin.