Chapter 07

If you Stay

Kyungsoo spent his time over the weekend working in his parent’s fruit shop. He didn’t mind the work, and enjoyed being able to take a break from study. He stood in his uniform of a polo and shorts as he stacked apples into the display racks. He was humming along to the music that played over the radio when he dropped one of the apples. It rolled away from him and as he leaned down to pick it up someone had beaten him to it. Straightening he was met with the intense staring gaze of Jongin, who held out the apple to Kyungsoo.  Kyungsoo took the apple wordlessly and turned back to the display.
“So you work here?” Jongin asked, smiling toward Kyungsoo
Kyungsoo did not move his focus from the task at hand but nodded in response.
“That’s cool, your family own it?” Jongin queried again only receiving a nod in response.
“So what have you been up to” Jongin queried struggling to maintain conversation with the wordless male.
“After my date with Alana I’ve just been working. You?” Kyungsoo said, maintaining focus on the apples. Jongin stiffened, becoming noticeably uncomfortable at the mention of Kyungsoo’s date.
“A date? I didn’t know you two liked each other” Jongin lied. He knew of Alana’s interest in Kyungsoo because of her friendship with Chanyeol’s girlfriend, all gossip was relayed through the grape vine; however he also knew that Kyungsoo was said to be disinterested so the news of the sudden date between the two was both shocking and disheartening.
 “Yeah we do” Kyungsoo stated simply. The conversation ceased and an awkward tension grew between the two. Eventually as Kyungsoo moved toward the back room to put away the empty crate which the apples came from Jongin moved off, returning to his mother who was at the register.

The next day at school Kyungsoo took his usual seat in between Baekyun and Jongin in English class. The second he was seated Baekyun turn asking “soooooo? Date, how did that go?” with the smile of a Cheshire.

Embarrassed Kyungsoo shifted his gaze to his clasped hands. “It went well I think, we’re going out again on Thursday night so I guess that means well” Kyungsoo replied, lifting his gaze back to meet Baekyun’s.
“You are fully aware that is not what I meant Kyungsoo, How did it go, you know” Baekyun responded quirking an eyebrow.
Understanding what Baekyun was hinting at, and how a teenage boy was expected to respond a small smile spread across Kyungsoo’s full lips. “Nothing happened just a kiss.” The conversation continued with Baekyun demanding all available details of the date and Kyungsoo was well aware that he not only held Baekyun’s attention, but Jongin’s as well. He was sure to say only nice things about Alana as not only was she his friend, but anything said would be relayed back to her through Jongin.

When the teacher demanded the class’s attention the chatter between the two came to a close which Kyungsoo was thankful for. He shifted his gaze to Jongin, who appeared as those he had tasted something foul as his face was contorted into a scowl, and his nose scrunched. He wandered what had affected the boy but didn’t put much thought into it, not being overly concerned.

When the lesson ended Kyungsoo and Jongin made their way to P.E together. They walked in an awkward silence and Jongin still looked to be unhappy. Kyungsoo didn’t mind silence for a change, spending so much time with Baekyun he found that the boy enjoyed conversation, even if it was one sided. When they reached the locker room they moved to their lockers to change into their P.E uniforms.

Kyungsoo noticed a change this lesson. The boys around him seemed to be less worried about the distance they stood from him, which meant that the news of his and Alana’s date had o very taken that of the rumour. Kyungsoo was changing his shirts when he turned his head and saw that Jongin’s eyes were on him. Kyungsoo gave an awkward smile but Jongin didn’t return the smile. His lips remained as inexpressive as his dark eyes.

They moved from the locker room prepared to participate in the P.E lesson. They were told they would be doing the ‘beep test’. This meant that they would run from one end of the hall to the other, with the time allowed for each lap decreasing gradually. Kyungsoo smiled at the announcement, he may not be an athlete but he did enjoy running. When the test began Kyungsoo made sure to start off slow not wanted to exert all of his energy at once. As the test went on more and more students were disqualified and as the test reached 5.8 only he and two other students remained. Jongin and a tall blonde girl who captained the girls’ basketball team. Eventually as the test went on the girl was disqualified and all who remained was Kyungsoo and Jongin.

Jongin had a fire like determination in his eyes, not wanting to yield to the smaller male he found himself frustrated with. He had no reason to hold any poor feelings toward Kyungsoo as he hadn’t done anything wrong. He was happy when he heard that Kyungsoo might prefer boys but Alana was living breathing proof that it wasn’t the case. He was upset that his hopes were raised just to be dashed even if it wasn’t the fault of Kyungsoo. He was still going to win.

As the two continued to run Jongin could feel his lungs burning and he was becoming slower to turn. Eventually he was disqualified and Kyungsoo was named the champion, his scores recorded as the school’s new high score. After wards the P.E teacher approached Kyungsoo and tried to get the boy to join the schools track team, but Kyungsoo wasn’t interested, a sport would affect his studies to much. However as the teacher went on to explain that participation in sport was counted as an extra circular activity Kyungsoo became enthusiastic to the idea. He agreed to join the team.

 

 

 

 

*sorry for any spelling errors