Chapter 05

If you Stay

The next day Kyungsoo made his way to school with Baekyun. The two chatted casually and the events of the previous day were not mentioned, nor were Kim Jongin. The two made their way to class Kyungsoo heading to French while Baekyun went to History. When he entered the room he sat at his desk, not making eye contact with Jongin.
“So I know you’re mad still, and I wanted to apologise for my comment. It was a joke, not a very funny one. I didn’t intend to offend you” Jongin rambled fumbling with his thumbs while watching the small male.
“Ok” Kyungsoo replied not shifting his gaze from the board at the front of the room.  Jongin looked back to his desk. He felt the tension between the two and was well aware that it was not ‘Ok’. Kyungsoo worked diligently through the lesson with his full focus on his schoolwork, Jongin on the other hand found himself distracted by the small male. He glanced over to Kyungsoo and saw that his expression was emotionless. The look in Kyungsoo’s eyes sent a chill down Jongin’s spine. And he drew his attention back to his work, fearful what would happen if he was caught looking.

When the lesson was over Kyungsoo made his way to chemistry thankful to be rid of Jongin for an hour. He sat in the seat he had been occupying the last few lessons and smiled to the girl who was at the lab desk next to him politely. As the lesson unfolded Kyungsoo found the girl seemed to be closer than she was when the lesson started. He shifted his eyes and was met with hers. She smiled timidly toward him and he met her with a small smile.

“Hi I’m Alana.” The girl said, holding Kyungsoo's gaze.
“Kyungsoo.” He replied turning his eyes back down to his work.
“So where’d you move here from?”
“I didn’t move house just schools.” he replied not looking up
“oh.” The girl replied not daring to ask the reason for the move “so you’re friends with Jongin?” she queried leaning closer to him.
“No, we just have class together.”
“Who do you hang out with then?”
“Baekyun, Luhan and Sehun.”
“Oh alright then, they’re nice” they girl responded a small smile spreading across her pink lips.

Kyungsoo simply nodded in response. Throughout the lesson the Alana made efforts to continue casual conversation with Kyungsoo, which he obliged. He answered all her questions and queries and even made the effort to ask a few of his own. Eventually as the conversation flowed he found he was enjoying talking to Alana. While she wasn’t strict with her schooling like him she did seem to hold an interest in her education. He found they enjoyed similar movies and a number of TV shows

When the Bell went he and Alana walked toward the lunch room together parting ways when they entered the cafeteria to join their friend groups. However as he approached the table of his friends he found they had an addition to their group. He frowned when saw Jongin and Chanyeol seated at their table. He noticed the empty space in between Luhan and Jongin and drew a sharp sigh when he slid into the table closing the gap.

The lunch period continued with casual conversation, the tension between Kyungsoo and Jongin evident. Jongin couldn’t understand why Kyungsoo was so offended by his remark, nor could he think of a way to repair the damage. He hoped if he simply refused to accept his friendship being rejected then eventually Kyungsoo would accept him. He continued to engage Kyungsoo, asking as many questions as he could. Kyungsoo answered each question begrudgingly, not wanting to appear rude. He didn’t understand the persistence of Kim Jongin, or why he wanted to be friends in the first place. The two didn’t exactly seem similar nor did they spend time with similar people.

__

Kyungsoo sighed to himself when he entered his bedroom closing shut the door behind him. He supposed he was being harsh on Jongin. The boy had made efforts to talk to him and include him in classes and didn’t intend to offend when he made that joke. Kyungsoo slid himself into his desk chair and pulled out his school work. He decided that he would give Jongin the benefit of the doubt and that the comment would be accepted as a poor attempt at a joke. After all it’s not like Kyungsoo had anyone else to sit with in P.E, Mathematics, Biology or French. He would just have to it up.