Chapter 9

Overturned
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Two weeks had passed and Jonghyun was tired. So tired of Taemin following Jinki everywhere, of him constantly trying to get the older to talk to him.

Tired of the heartbreaking expression on Taemin's face every time the older would notice him ahead and then just pass him as if he didn't exist.

Tired of Jinki pretending everything was fine.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hyung would you rather be a horrible doctor, or an excellent garbage man?"

Onew flipped a page of his newspaper and sighed, not really interested in Jonghyun's game. "Garbage man sounds good to me."

"Okay then... Would you rather be rich and ugly, or poor and good looking?"

"I'd rather be myself, thank you very much."

Jonghyun pouted. "That's not how the game works hyung, you have to choose from the two. Rich and ugly or poor and handsome?"

The older rolled his eyes and grunted. "If I'm rich then I can just get a plastic surgery. Hundreds even, if I'm really that ugly. So rich it is."

"Ohhhhh... You're really smart hyung." Jonghyun grinned and gave Jinki thumbs up. "Then... Would you rather have no sense of smell or smell everything near you as if it was right in front of your nose?"

"I'd rather have no sense of smell."  the older answered and than a smirk appeared on his face. "The other option sounds like passing out every time you take off your shoes after the training."

"What! My feet don't smell!" Jonghyun screeched and crossed his arms over his chest. Onew then raised his eyebrows and looked at him pointedly. "Well, o-okay maybe a little... B-but! It's all because of those crappy shoes, my poor feet can't breathe and that's why they have a f-funky smell!"

Onew laughed and looked back at his newspaper. "Whatever lets you sleep at night princess."

Jonghyun was about to give the other a piece of his mind but then he noticed Taemin coming their way. His stomach dropped, it was too late to flee, to drag Jinki away. He had no other choice but to just press his lips together and wait for the situation to unravel.

It was clear that Taemin was extremely nervous, he still didn't dare to look at Jinki's face, his gaze stuck on the older's shoulder. Two weeks of being constantly avoided and rejected seemed to take all of his confidence away. Jonghyun would think it was really admirable, how the man hadn't given up yet, if it didn't make him feel so freaking anxious. 

"..Hyung..."

Onew shivered almost unnoticeably and then slightly tightened his grip on the paper, his whole body tensing.

Taemin blinked in surprise. Usually he would be told to get lost as soon as he made his presence known. What was even more surprising, Jinki was still sitting at the table and it didn't seem he was about to stand up and leave like he used to do in the past two weeks. It made his heart jump a little, a small spark of hope blooming in his chest.

"Jinki hyung do you think we could..." Taemin started and then swallowed, his throat suddenly feeling dry. "...do you think we could talk?"

Onew didn't look up from his newspaper but it was quite obvious he wasn't reading it. "Taemin..." his voice trembled a little and he bit his lip, scolding himself mentally. "...No.. I don't think we could talk. I think I made myself clear over the past two weeks."

There was no edge to it. And Taemin noticed it right away, pressing his lips together not to let his excitement show. It still hurt a little to be rejected once again but something had changed, he was having an actual conversation with the older and it made him see the light at the end of the tunnel.

"Hyung... I really need to talk to you... Please let me explain myself hyung. Please..." 

Onew put the newspaper away and laced his fingers together, his eyes slightly unfocused and shifty. "...I... Taemin... I r-really..." he stayed silent for a few seconds, then shook his head and closed his eyes. "...Please... l-leave... I need you to leave Taemin..." 

Taemin lowered his head in disappointment and then bit his trembling lip. There was no point in pushing him, he knew Jinki well enough to know it would only anger him.  "...I understand, I'm sorry for bothering you hyung." He then exhaled through his nose slowly  and walked away.

 

Two weeks had passed and Jonghyun was scared. Because when Taemin turned around to leave, Jinki's longing gaze followed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter