Chapter 18

Overturned
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

In the next few days Jonghyun learned that Jinki could turn pretty much invisible when he wanted to. He wasn't ready to give up just yet so he kept looking for an opening, for a situation where he'd be able to corner the older again and try talking to him one more time. But it soon turned out to be pretty much impossible, Jinki was so good at avoiding him that there had been days when he wouldn't see the older for a whole day. After a while Jonghyun started to think that maybe this was how things were supposed to be, that maybe he and Jinki simply weren't meant to be together, that maybe all this effort was completely useless as Jinki obviously wanted nothing to do with him.

How did they get here anyway?

It felt like years had passed from the day he met Jinki for the very first time, from the day the older smiled at him and showed him the most breathtaking night sky he had ever seen in his whole life. What happened to their night trips? To their playful bickering, friendly flirting and endless laughter? He was so happy back then, and if someone had told him things would look the way they do now he'd never believe them. But he should've known, he should've known that such a beautiful dream can't last forever.

 

 

 

Jonghyun woke up with a tight feeling in his chest and tears b in his eyes. He let out a shaky breath as he slowly rolled onto his back. He stared at the ceiling lifelessly for a few minutes before wiping his face dry with his hand and sitting up groggily. He looked to his left, at the empty sleeping bag right next to his. Jinki was already gone, obviously. He exhaled and slowly turned his head to the right to stare through the window. It was 8 AM already but the sky was dark with clouds, rain threatening to pour at any time.

Jonghyun felt a shiver run down his spine. Why did it fell like this was going to be the worst day in his life?

 

 

 

 

"Those are not dummies so you will get hurt if you're stupid enough to something up. They were made for training purposes so the explosion isn't strong enough to blow a man up into pieces or rip a leg off but it is strong enough to get you some serious wounds so if you all want to keep your pretty faces in tact, concentrate and do what I say. Typical land mines blow up when you step on them, these on the other hand were modified to blow up by themselves after a certain period of time. Your task is to take one land mine, run 200 meters to the red flag, then dig a hole, place the land mine inside, switch it on, then carefully cover it up with a thin layer of soil and then you want to get out of it's range before it detonates. It takes exactly fifty seconds for it to happen so you have more than enough time to escape. Then you're going to run back here. As you can see there's a digital timer on your left so you'll be able to monitor your time without any problems. If the land mine successfully detonates and you complete the task within 110 seconds it's a pass. Any questions?"

Jonghyun wished the corporal would hurry up with all that talking, it was freaking damp and cold enough for him to actually see his breath. The sky was still dark and cloudy and even though it was still morning it felt like he should be eating supper and going to sleep any time now.

"No? Good. Oh, and one more thing. If somewhere in the middle on your way back here you realize you forgot to switch the land mine on, it is prohibited to go back and fix your mistake even if you think you have enough time to do so. It's for safety purposes. Now... I'll be reading out your names, when you hear your name come to the front and stand on the red line. Set off when I say start. Those who fail the task will get a second chance. If they fail that too... well, I'm sure they know there's a punishment waiting for them."

Jonghyun was one of the firsts to go. Having decided he wasn't up for the punishment he run as fast as his legs let him. He kneeled when he reached the red flag and started digging like crazy with the metal trowel. It was easier than he expected as the ground wasn't as hard and compacted as he thought it would be. When the hole was big enough he put the land mine inside, switched it on and covered it with some dirt. Then he stood up and started running. After two steps or so his foot sunk into the ground a bit making him stumble slightly but he paid no attention to it as he was set on getting the task done as fast as possible. When he crossed the red line the corporal muttered "101 seconds" and noted something on his writing pad. Jonghyun sighed in relief and sat on the ground breathing heavily, a few seconds later his land mine detonated. 

"Pass." the corporal noted something one more time. "Hmm.. Who's next... Lee Jinki?"

Jonghyun turned his head and watched as Onew emerged from the crowd and stood on the red line. As soon as the corporal gave him a sign to begin he started sprinting so fast that the man nodded in acknowledgement despite being totally disinterested up until now. Onew got the whole land mine process done in a record time too and Jonghyun was pretty sure he'll finish the whole task in under 90 seconds. But then the older didn't move away from the land mine after standing up and Jonghyun squinted his eyes alarmed trying to see if something had happened. The distance was too big though and Jonghyun couldn't see anything more than a blurred human-shaped dot doing some jerky movements.

"What is that idiot doing?" the corporal muttered and squinted too.

 

Jinki switched the land mine on and covered it with a thin layer of soil. He lifted himself up and was about to start running back when he felt his right foot dip into the ground. He jerked his leg to free himself but it wouldn't even budge, the ground around it was slowly sliding into the hole his foot got stuck in. He felt his stomach drop in panic and started pulling as hard as he could but to no avail. He could see a few broken wooden planks peeking from underneath the sinking ground, one of which was trapping his boot.

" ." he grabbed his leg in two hands and pulled repetitively with all his might but his foot seemed to be stuck for good. He felt blood drain from his face, heart hammering loudly in his chest. He lifted his head to see how much time he had left till the detonation. Plus minus 30 seconds. .

"Hyung!!"

Jinki's head snapped up and he noticed Jonghyun sprinting his way with a terrified expression on his face, probably matching his own.

"Don't!" Onew screamed. "Jonghyun get away, I switched it on, I already switched it on!!"

Jonghyun didn't listen, as soon as he reached the older he dropped to his knees and hurriedly started to untie Jinki's boot to loosen the shoelaces.

Jinki's eyes widened in horror. "Are you ing crazy, do you want it to blow up in your face?! Get away you ing idiot, what are you-..."

"Shut up and try to pull your foot out." Jonghyun said and fumbled with the shoelaces, his hands shaking in panic, cold sweat dripping down his chin. His breath was heavy and ragged and it was coming out in uneven white puffs.

Onew jerked his leg a few times as hard as he could. His lips trembled as he looked at the timer one more time. 8 seconds. "It's not working, Jonghyun please get away. Please I'm begging you."

Jonghyun stood up and grabbed the older's leg. "Together on three. One, two, THREE" Both of them pulled at the same time but the boot still wouldn't let go. Onew's breath hitched.

"One more time. One, two THREE" Still nothing.

"Jonghyun please." Onew sobbed.

"ONE MORE TIME. One, two, THREE."

The boot finally gave in and Jinki stumbled backwards before landing on his back with a thump, Jonghyun falling on the top of him trying to protect him from the upcoming e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter