A Matchmade in Heaven

Hard-Hit Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two of us were having lunch when we received a phone call from their respective managers about the confirmed date and location of our next meeting. Our OTP had been kept busy with all their schedules lined up ahead of them. They are such committed people to their crafts and every other aspect that comes along with being an actor. With a huge demand for Korean Entertainment industry worldwide, it was no longer suffice to just act. They had to be a triple-threat in order to have a strong foothold in the industry. A triple-threat, by definition is someone who can act, sing and entertain. The ideal celebrity and ultimately an asset to the agency that they are signed to. It is only further highlighted if you are the artist that rake in the biggest revenue for the entertainment agency. As big earners, they are basically shouldering the responsibility to ensure that the agency remain afloat. On top of that, the livelihood of staffs and managers that are working for them becomes their responsibilty too. Any wrong move and scandal can shake the whole structure and causing it to fall and crumble like a house of cards. As we were chatting, we could not help but to relate the situation to our OTP. Our minds began to wonder about them and their relationship. Though now we know that they were left with no choice but to make do with an unconventional love relationship, we were questioning each other about how tough it must be for them to maintain such a relationship. Even ordinary couples who are able to meet each other often and be able to talk regularly goes through a rough patch. What more a couple that seldom meet each other? Even though in previous chapter, Min Ho mentioned that phone calls played an important role, we were sure the role that phone calls played can reached its exhaustive state too. The year 2014 was a really busy year for them as they had activities throughout the year both domestically and internationally. The mass appeal of the drama really catapult them to another level of stardom and recognition as viewers of The Heirs grew to be their fans as well. Even Min Ho mentioned in an interview before that he did not realise just how popular he had become. We supposed he must have felt a huge difference since a household name and an A-lister like him were able to make such observations. 

It is also important to note that 2014 was a really tough year for the Korean Entertainment industry as there were plenty of expose, scandals, controversies and even tragedies that occured throughout the year.  So just how did our OTP overcome those obstacles post-The Heirs? We became outrightly curious as we prepared ourselves for the upcoming meeting with them. 

The day finally came around and we met at the location they had decided upon. We still remembered the day to be very cold. So cold that we forego any thoughts about dressing up and opted for comfort and our well-being instead! Furthermore, let's face the facts, even if we were to dress to the nines, the image of Shin Hye dressing up in a hoodie and sweatpants would still make her look like a model. And for us to even attempt at making a move on Min Ho (because in all honesty, he would be the only one that is worth making a move on anyways) would have sent us straight to be exiled in Siberia! 

It was the cold winter in South Korea, so all we had in our mind were questions to ask our OTP, keeping warm and coats! And we did put on really casual clothes. How casual? Almost to the extent of loungewear and we simply needed bedroom slippers to complete the look! That's how casual our clothes were since we thought that the coat would be covering it all up anyways. But... instead of our bedroom slippers, we substitute it with Uggs. Yup, you read it right.

Uggs, the uggliest footwear ever that makes going barefoot appealing even in winter. (Is this a good tagline or what? LOL!)

We wore those just to at least show that we did make a tiny weeny bit of an effort while selfishly enjoying the fact that it kept our feet warm and snuggly. (Hehe!) 

Basically, our mind was filled up with all the heavy questions to an extent that even as we were making our way down to the location, we were still thinking on how to best pose our questions without offending them and to actually portray our sincerity in understanding them better as a person. We felt that our spazzing phase had past and it was important for us to shed their 'celebrity-ness' in order to portray the more human side of them to their fans. Even though we have been asking them questions that were personal to some extent, we wanted to uncover more especially the struggles, the ups and the downs as they go through their unconventional relationship because no, and we really mean no relationship is ever smooth sailing. We were in a way prepared to be screamed at but in all honesty even if that happens, how many of us can say that Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye raised their voices at them, right? (Hahaha! That's how mental we've become.)

Our OTP was already there when we came. As usual they looked marvellous together. If the term matchmade in heaven is determined purely by looks, then they surely met that defnititon. But what makes them all the more amazing is that their hearts are just as lovely. So there we were sitting on a sofa adjacent to them during the interview while looking at the pair thinking that there is no better term to describe what we were witnessing other than A Matchmade in Heaven.  

We began our interview as per usual. Sorting the questions out and serving it like a full course meal. Whetting the appetite and tempting them with an appetizer before the full blown and heavy main course that had been specially prepared for them.

"So how have the two of you been since we last met? And it seems that your schedules are packed like sardines in a tin! It's amazing how much of a stamina you have to push through it all. At the same time redefining the words 'commitment' and 'workaholic'."

"It is a must for celebrities to put our health as a priority in order to meet the demands. In all honesty the shelf life of a celebrity like that of an athlete is a short span one. We may be earning a lot at a time but once you're no longer in demand, the probability of earning is close to zero. So we have to give our all now and making other plans to substitute our earnings before such a day comes. And when it comes it pours." The look on Min Ho's face had a hint of the fatigue he felt even though he tried to keep his smile on. In fact, both of them had similar look. Even though we would prefer to go all yellow and dirty in our mind thinking that they might just have a rendevous moment the night before the meeting, it definitely did not look like it. They really did look tired after those initial smiles wear off. We felt bad at that point of time since we were taking their precious rest time away from them but they are ever so polite to carry on with the interview. However, on a hindsight, the situation made the questions that we have prepared all the more apt and decided to go with the flow of the interview naturally. 

"So Min Ho, do you mind sharing with us how do you go about coming up with such plans? You don't have to go into details on what the plans are but would appreciate it if you could tell us at which point of time of your career that the two of you realise that a backup plan was necessary? Because looking at how the two of you love what you're doing, and still just as busy now as you were then, it's difficult to imagine that you would be doing something else outside of the entertainment industry. "

"I think for both us, as soon as we entered the industry and started to earn our keep, to be regarded as a celebrity, we do think of such things. It has always lingered at the back of our minds, like how long more can we ride on this wave of fame, what are the necessary actions to take to reinforce our 'rice bowl' and etc. Because we did observe our Sunbae-nims and how they go about their lives after the prime period is over. Just like how actors in hollywood are, some are still respected and recognized as accomplished actors while others have become a has-been. However, we did not give a serious thought to it because it was our passion for acting at that point of time, was in a way, dictating the direction that we were going in our career. Especially during and after filming The Heirs as we received a lot of offers to advance in our career. Come to think about it, the year 2014 was really a tough year." with Min Ho trailing off in his speech at the last couple of words as he looked to be in deep thoughts along with Shin Hye. It was as though they were thinking of the exact same things at the same time which got Shin Hye to place her hand on his and giving it a light squeeze. The scene was slightly surreal for us even though we had witnessed them engaging in skinship openly in front of us before. It was not a spazz worthy moment but it was very serene instead that would make one heave a sigh of relief that they are there for each other through thick and thin.

"Yes we agree with you on that count Min Ho. Even between us journalists, we had a talk about it prior to this meeting. The year 2014 was indeed a rough year for everyone in the industry because there were constant breaking news one month after another. And the news range from happy to outright tragic."

"It was a tough year for us as well. Of course in comparison, it is not as tough as those families that had lost their children or family members. But the year was indeed a tough one. It would prove to be a trying period for our relationship."

"Would you be willing to shed some light on that? For your fans to understand it better from your perspectives?"

"Eonnie-deul, well, just like any other couple, when the honeymoon period is over, there are bound to be major turbulence one way or another. And this major turbulence may start small but it gradually got big because not being able to see each other makes the situation worse and would snowballed, causing an avalanche. And on our part, our personalities played a part in determining how rapid that issue will snowballed before it causes an avalanche."

"How long was that honeymoon period for the both of you? After 3 months? 6 months?"

"Exactly 3 months." as they both began to smile and slightly easing off the sombre mood we were in earlier on.

"And after 3 months what happened?"

"Well eonnie-deul, to put it simply, after the honeymoon period, Min Ho Oppa and I were basically taking turns to drive each other crazy?" Her candid response caused all of us to break into a smile. 

"How in the world did you drive each other crazy? Min Ho ya~ Shin Hye ya~"

"I think it started with me though." said Min Ho like it was a matter of fact.

"Min Ho Oppa~ You think? Did you really just said that?"

"Okay okay.. Fine fine.. It started with me. Happy dear?" before she kissed him on his cheeks to appease him from her teasing.

Well even if Shin Hye was happy when he admitted to it as they looked into each other's eyes, we definitely were not happy at all because they have yet to inform us just what went on!

Like hello~ have The Loonies just become invisible to the two of you?

That was what we honestly thought at the point of time. So we cleared our throat in a more exaggerated manner than a normal person would to get their attention. Yes, we were ignored for the first time ever. Instead of them having to snap us out of our spazzing moment, it was our turn to do so this time. How can they stop halfway? It's like serving us rice without any side dishes! Though in a non-ideal circumstances we would be very much content with just having rice, but what they were doing did not just cut it for us. The Loonies almost (It was really an almost moment, we mean it. Don't hate on us MinShinners, we are one of you remember? LOL.) had that, "Babe, hold my purse" moment because they were really in their own world for a good 10 minutes! 

Finally, they got their senses back when we were served our hot beverages. Manse to that! To put it romantically, they must have really missed each other a lot and if we were to put it in a non-romantic form, they basically ignored us. (Haha!)

We all took a sip and one of us quickly pounced on the available chance, and naturally asked,

"So Min Ho, as you were saying?" 

"Oh ya..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter