Chapter 4

A Not So Ordinary Love Story

Let's go back to 2 days ago.

Sungjae's explanation made everything clear. But that didn't mean that I got over it, that I already forgave Jackson. That was so childish. I'd never been that embarrassed my entire life. The thought of it made me wish I never had that bet with my friends. 

Bus rides had always been exciting for me. More often than not, I would always commute to school, at least thrice a week. I might not had enjoyed every ride but it gave me different experiences. There were different stories in every person's look. The way they would scowl at someone who pushed them when the bus was already full. Old people being offered seats by some well-mannered youth. Such scene always made me believe that kindness and compassion among the young generation still existed. You could also see couples cuddling with each other at the rear seats. I always thought that was the most romantic thing in the world. Arms wrapped in each other, boy girl's hair whose head rested on his shoulder. But there were times I saw girls crying. Could it be breakup? Family matters? One time I saw a guy running after the bus, crying. Yeah, like some scenes you'd probably seen many times in movies and dramas. 

That bus ride home after the fair incident was one of those bus stories I wouldn't forget. Sungjae escorted me until the bus stop. Before I got in, he grabbed my hand and said sorry again. I knew it wasn't totally his fault so I assured him that he was forgiven. But not that Jackson Wang. Even the thought of him made me really sick. I chose the seat near the door. The bus was not crowded. I leaned my head on the window like that scene we would usually see in movies. That wasn't the most calming thing to do, to be honest. As the bus started to move, I felt my head slightly banging against the glass. I wouldn't recommend doing it especially when you're not in a good mood.

The rain already stopped but it was cold. Mist formed in the windows. Usually I would write or draw something on the window but that time I was totally not in the mood. My phone rang. Unregistered number. 

'Hello?' 

'Hi! This is Jack...' a guy was on the other line. Before he could finish I knew it was no other than Jackson Wang. I hung up the phone right away. How dare him call me. My blood started to boil. My hands were trembling in anger. The phone started ringing again and this time I didn't answer it. Instead I turned my phone off. I was too pissed that I almost didn't notice that I already reached my destination. 


'I'm home.' I called out as I entered our house, lifeless. I didn't even remove my shoes as I went towards the kitchen where my mom was cooking dinner. 

'Dear, are you OK?' she handed me a glass of water. 'Did something happen?

'Nothing Mom. I'm fine' I pulled out a chair in the counter. 'Can you give me something to eat?'

Mom placed a plate of fruits. I only ate the apple which tasted weird as I chew it. 

'By the way. somebody called looking for you.' she said as she picked up the plate that I pushed aside. 'Said he's Jack..'

I raised my hand, signaling her to stop whatever she was about to say. 'I don't want to hear the rest of it Mom.' I sighed.

'Ah...O... OK.' was all she said as I stood and left her. 'You look like a mess Dear. Get changed and dinner will be ready in a few minutes.' I left my mother wondering in the kitchen.

'Aish! Jinjja!' I picked up a stuffed toy on the carpet and threw it on my bed. 'How did he get our house number?' I threw myself in bed face down and punched the mattress until my hands hurt. I rolled in my back. 'Grrr.. Sungjae!'