Chapter 8

Danse Macabre

Kyungsoo and Junmyeon's relationship, though still fairly awkward at times, progressed much more quickly than the latter could have ever imagined (although it still couldn't be compared with Sehun and Tao's relationship.) By week two and a half, Junmyeon was spending every other night in the other's house, eating spaghetti kimchi for dinner.

 

He didn't even know why he was worried in the beginning. He was Kim Junmyeon after all: the man who could make anyone fall in love with him in three months and break their hearts just as easily.

“Hey, Kyungsoo,” he began amiably. It was Thursday night and he was standing in the kitchen, too close behind Kyungsoo for it to be casual, too far away for it to be a back hug.

“Hmm?” the chef hummed without looking away from the food he was preparing.

Junmyeon moved to lean on the counter so he could see Kyungsoo's side profile. “Did you know that I've never had a relationship for more than three months?”

“But I thought you said you're amazingly interesting and everyone loves you,” Kyungsoo remarked dryly with a hint of a smile.

“You're never going to let that go, are you?”

“Nope.”

The younger smacked Kyungsoo playfully on the arm. “Whatever. But I'm being serious.”

“Me too. So why do they end?” And then he added, “Can you get me that tomato?” Junmyeon pushed himself off the counter and ambled over to the fridge until Kyungsoo said, “It's on the counter, you idiot!”

He walked back and handing over the red fruit, he really felt like they were an old married couple instead of just being in a relationship motivated by blood to shed. “Depends,” he answered, shrugging. “Sometimes they leave me, sometimes I break their hearts.” Kyungsoo made a snickering sound. “Are you laughing at me?”

“Of course not,” Kyungsoo told him with a straight face, eyes trained on the spatula as he expertly flipped the food.

Junmyeon moved closer to him. “So where do you see us in two and a half month's time?”

Kyungsoo turned towards him and their faces were so close Junmyeon almost blushed. Or maybe it was just too much body heat. Or too much heat from the stove. “I'll break your heart,” Kyungsoo whispered ominously.

The other blinked, then laughed. “Soo, that style doesn't suit you.”

The said man rolled his eyes. “Don't call me that. And stop bothering me!” he said, making shooing motions. “Dinner will be ready soon.”

“Okay, Soo” Junmyeon sing-songed with a cheeky grin as he walked out of the kitchen and towards the T.V.

 

As he waited for his new favorite dish prepared by his new favorite person, Junmyeon lazily pressed the power button of the remote control with his toe. The T.V. blared to life.

“LET US INTERVIEW-” the news reporter screamed at him.

“Why is your T.V. so loud?” Junmyeon called to the kitchen as he quickly lowered the volume.

“I get excited sometimes,” came the reply.

“I can't imagine you excited,” Junmyeon muttered. And it was true. He tried imagining the calm and serious man be anything other than calm and serious and came up with nothing. At most, Kyungsoo would raise an eyebrow and tease Junmyeon with a condescending tone or make a sarcastic comment, but that was it.

 

As the couple enjoyed their dinner, the news stayed on, tastefully describing the economy, politics and various car accidents while Junmyeon poked the other with his chopsticks in between bites. His ears perked up when he heard the anchorwoman gravely say, “Seoul mafia.” He immediately turned towards the T.V.

“Junmyeon, you don't seem the type to care about that sort of stuff.”

“Gangs are cool. They're so badass.”

Both quieted down when a supposed expert on the mafia was introduced by the anchorwoman as Mr. Byun Baekhyun.

“A good portion of the Jang family has been killed, their bodies left for the public to find,” the interviewer said. “Who do you think is behind these? And do you think they are connected in any way?”

“Those are such stupid questions!” Junmyeon scoffed and Kyungsoo quickly shushed him.

“Well,” Byun Baekhyun began, clearing his throat, causing Junmyeon to roll his eyes. “So many deaths in such a short period of time? Of course they are related!” This time, Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “As to who's behind them, there's no way for us to know. There's reason to believe it's the Kims who are responsible, since they are well-known rivals.”

“Probably not,” Junmyeon said under his breath.

“But,” the expert continued. “Some people think there's a new gang, recently created, that is ambitious and reckless enough to target all the most powerful families.”

“Families? Does that mean you think there will be more deaths to come, Mr. Byun?” another reporter asked.

“Possibly, but who knows?”

Byun Baekhyun raised an eyebrow suggestively and Kyungsoo, rolling his eyes one last time, switched the channel.

“Well, that was interesting,” Junmyeon commented.

“I didn't like that guy,” Kyungsoo said, returning to his kimchi.

“Me neither. But you know who I like?”

“Who?”

“You.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

Feelings were weird things. Some people said that it's impossible to truly fake a smile, and yet, how did actors do it? How did they create those heartfelt confessions and those heart wrenching goodbyes? And for people like Kim Jongin, how did they fool so many others? Was it because they were perfect liars? Was it because they had lied enough to themselves that they truly believed those emotions that only came with a different identity?

A name, really, was much more than just a word. It's a title; an expectation; a guideline; a full set costume complete with a mask, a personality, and its own thoughts.

Sometimes, Jongin felt that he had dissociative identity disorder, but maybe he was just too good at what he did. He was born to be a killer, after all.

 

And everything always seemed so real.

 

 


Did everyone like Baekhyun's special (re)appearance? kekeke

anyway, next chapter has a bit more fluff ^_^