Chapter 21

Danse Macabre

Exo: Thunder

 


 

 

“Sleeping Beauty?” Junmyeon exclaimed as they prepared to enter the concert hall. “It's so romantic,” he gushed.

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo replied, almost shyly. To be honest, he had just searched up “happy ballets” on the internet and chose a random one. He couldn't deny that it felt good to see Junmyeon so excited though. He felt accomplished, if that was the right word.

 

They found their seats in the center after pushing past too many people and stepping over too many legs. “You're not going to leave this time, right?” Kyungsoo asked as they settled in.

 

Junmyeon tensed a little at the mention of that night. “Nope,” he answered, flashing a quick smile.

 

Before Kyungsoo could mull over that, the lights dimmed and a voice told the audience to turn off their cell phones.

 

“Soo, you're the best,” the younger whispered, eyes focused on the still empty stage. Kyungsoo blushed for some reason and he didn't really like the feeling, but he did.

 

When Aurora was about to prick her finger, Junmyeon realized that he was paying more attention to the man sitting next to him. Which shouldn't be the case but he didn't care. Gently and inconspicuously, he placed two fingers under Kyungsoo's chin and turned his face towards himself. Amused by the large confused eyes staring at him, he smiled and leaned forward.

 

The kiss was cautious as first, not sure what they were doing and testing out the PDA tolerance of the audience members surrounding them. Then Junmyeon threw all caution and doubt to the wind as they melded into each other. Their lips and bodies and everything else fit with each other perfectly, almost naturally, and Jongin felt less alone, less empty.

 

He didn't care that he wasn't really Jongin at the moment. He didn't care that Junmyeon was just an alias and he shouldn't fall for his target. He could almost forget that his brother was dead. All he could feel was Kyungsoo's lips on his, his soft lips, and . . . was that a tongue?

 

But finally, they must have done something that crossed the line and an old lady sitting behind them coughed loudly. Kyungsoo pushed away quickly, flushed cheeks visible even in the dim environment. Junmyeon turned his focus back to the ballet, a satisfied grin still on his face.

 

~ ~ ~

 

With Junmyeon still hyper from finally going on a real ballet date and Kyungsoo happy that it worked out, the pair decided to go the bar they met in.

 

“I used to always come with my brother,” Junmyeon murmured wistfully. He gazed at their usual spot in the bar, now occupied by three strangers.

 

“Come on,” Kyungsoo said, pulling him towards an empty seat.

 

Junmyeon decided to not test his drinking abilities that night and realized it was the right decision when Kyungsoo turned out to be an even worse drunk. Three refills later, Junmyeon didn't know what to think of the man in front of him. With the alcohol in his system, Kyungsoo seemed to have let down every guard and even if Junmyeon tried, he had no clue how to classify Kyugnsoo. He was serious and playful, condescending and squishy, awkward and flirty. It was as if he was an actor, a personality built by traces of too many roles.

 

It reminded Junmyeon of himself.

 

But he had no time to dwell on these deep philosophical questions. Without him noticing, Kyungsoo had downed two more glasses and now he was drunk as .

 

“Why do you like me?” Kyungsoo asked, staring imploringly into Junmyeon's eyes. His lips quivered, almost turning into a pout, and Junmyeon gaped. “I'm a horrible person. You shouldn't trust me, you dumb , you dumb . . . you probably think I'm harmless and cute right?” He giggled. “I'mma be the death of you!” the older slurred dramatically before falling forward.

 

Junmyeon moved but couldn't catch Kyungsoo in time and he face-planted into a puddle of spilled alcohol on the table. He heaved a sigh. “You're going to be the death of me?” he asked the immobile lump. “I was planning on being the death of you, but if you're acting like this . . .”

 

“Well, well, what do we have here?”

 

Jongin spun around and was met with two cousins that he wasn't exactly close with. “Jaejoong hyung, Woobin hyung,” he greeted politely. The pimp (the one who took over the position of the real Junmyeon) and the drug lord. The pair usually weren't seen together but when they were, their combined aura was overwhelming. Both had sharp, chiseled features that couldn't quite cut through the smokiness -- the result of either their mysteriousness or the fact that both were heavy smokers.

 

“Are you here to drown out your sorrows?” Woobin asked, eyebrow raised more expertly than even Kyungsoo could ever manage.

 

Jongin tried not to stare at the two wasted girls hanging onto their arms like limp jewelry and replied, “Uh . . . no. Not really. My dad doesn't let me drink.”

 

Woobin laughed. “You're such a good boy,” he drawled, reaching over to ruffle Jongin's hair. "Ahjussi must be proud."

 

“Don't tease the poor kid,” the other cousin admonished, but Jongin wasn't sure if he was deadpanning or serious. “And who's that?”

Jaejoong went on to ask, pointing at Kyungsoo who still hadn't moved.

 

“My . . . friend. He's the one drowning out his sorrows, actually.”

 

The girl on Woobin's arm laughed at something, and he slapped her without taking his eyes off Kyungsoo. She whimpered and shut up while he said, “Did you break his heart or something?”

 

Jongin reddened and before he could protest, Jaejoong said, “He looks familiar.”

 

“He does?” Jongin asked. “You can't even see his face though.”

 

"You should as him if what he does in his free time," Jaejoong replied, shrugging and letting his gaze linger on Kyungsoo's back for a moment longer.

 

"He's aual though."

 

Jaejoong shrugged again. The other cousin snickered and an odd anger flared inside Jongin. “Ah, well, Woobin and I are going to leave now.” Jaejoong smiled gently and said, “Sorry about Jongdae too, but glad to see you're coping.”

 

“Yeah, and nice seeing you here, cousin,” Woobin said over his shoulder as he walked away, following Jaejoong and dragging the girl with him.

 

Jongin furrowed his brows, watching the receding silhouettes of his two cousins. Many of his family frequented this bar, seeing as it was also owned by family, but the conversation had been so random and weird. Kyungsoo? es? What the ?

 

“ . . . myeon . . .” Kyungsoo mumbled.

 

Junmyeon returned to his seat and helped the drunk one push himself to an upright position. “Let's go home now, okay Soo?”

 

Kyungsoo made a noise that Junmyeon took as agreement and dragged the other up. The couple tottered over to the exit and Junmyeon stared outside in disbelief. “You are ing kidding me,” he muttered, watching as fat raindrops splattered onto the ground. He turned to glare at Kyungsoo, who was half asleep on his shoulder. “You're drunk out of your mind. I can't drive. Jongdae's dead. I don't use public transportation and we don't have an umbrella,” he said out loud before sighing. “Thank god your apartment's close.”

 

He made sure Kyungsoo wouldn't face plant again, braced himself, and stepped out into the storm.

 

He was drenched almost immediately and the rain woke Kyungsoo enough for him to start belting drunkenly. “Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom,” he yelled, voice echoing in the night.

 

“Shut up,” Junmyeon muttered but Kyungsoo, of course, did just the opposite.

 

Now I finally understand, now my heart hurts because of you.

 

Thunder, thunder, thunder. I want to hold you close, you who's already so far gone. Thunder, thunder, thunder, I want to hold you close.

 

If you can sing so loudly and actually in tune, why can't you walk?” Junmyeon asked Kyungsoo in exasperation, stumbling under the dead weight.

 

Kyungsoo replied by starting another song.

 

She's my black pearl. The sun suspended in the air, the limitless blue sea, all for the dazzling light in her beautiful eyes. In that heavy fog, in those stormy waves, a rippled reflection, my beautiful black pearl. In the deepest thoughts, in the mournful song, seems to still be returning, my beautiful black pearl.

 

 


 

After all that angst, there's going to be a couple of chapters of total fluff. I'm actually really excited to have you all read them haha ^_^

Also, I finally made a writing blog, so check it out if you want~

and,