Chapter 16

Danse Macabre

HAPPY EXOLUXION DAY!!!!!


 

Some sources say that the Siren Empire fell from glory due to internal disputes. Others call it a revolution.

-Pain and Power: the Empire of the Sirens by Park Chanyeol

 

 

 

“My most revered Emperor Suho, sovereign of all, I present to you Prince Yixing, lord of the East.” the guard announced.

 

Yixing began his walk across the empty cavernous hall and knelt in front his father, a polite distance stretching between the two. “Father,” he said to the ground.

 

“Rise,” the Emperor said, tone tight and clipped.

 

Yixing waited for the sickenly endearment at the end, but was given none, and rose a slight beat too late. “Yes, Father.” A wave of unease washed over him and it only intensified with the Emperor's next words.

 

“Have you any progress with the captive?”

 

The captive. Not my pet, not my little Xiumin. The Emperor was not following the usual script and Yixing had no clue how to improvise. And what progress? Xiumin was in love with Luhan -- Luhan who said he had a plan -- a treasonous plan that Yixing didn't truly know about. He wished desperately that he was more capable to do more of anything. Of everything. He wished he knew what to do, he wished he was Luhan. But mostly, he just wished this moment could be over.

 

“Have you any progress?” the Emperor repeated. A shockwave rushed towards Yixing, threatening to sweep him off his feet.

 

The Prince grit his teeth, bracing himself against the eletrical impact. “He was a challenge even to you, my father and most revered sovereign. I am but a prince,” he finally managed. “But I will not give up so easily!” he quickly added. “Please, Father. I just need a little more time.”

 

The water tingled with power as the Emperor said, “More time? There is no more time, my son.” He sighed, suddenly sounding so weary and tired -- he sounded how he should after ruling for so many years -- so many centuries.

 

What Luhan had said about a crumbling empire suddenly echoed in Yixing's mind and he swallowed heavily.

 

“I will give you ten lunar days,” the Emperor announced. “Ten days.”

 

“Yes, Father,” Yixing replied meekly, mind in panic from the sudden deadline.

 

“Leave.”

 

Yixing was waved away with a flourish of the Emperor's sleeves and he left quickly, desperate to get away from the tension in the room.

 

~ ~ ~

 

He hurried to Luhan's palace, at the West side of the Empire. The whole journey, he kept his eyes trained on the ground, avoiding the curious and judgemental stares of passerby. Was he really a Prince? He felt so weak, so trapped, so pathetic.

 

And now he was standing in front of his destination. “Where is your lord?” he asked the guard.

 

The other Siren rose from his kneeling position and answered, “He is in his study, Prince Yixing.” But when the Prince reached for the door, he quickly said, “My lord is busy right now and is not expecting visitors. Let me go notify h-”

 

“No need,” Yixing replied brusquely, mind in too much turmoil to listen. He waved the guard away and pushed open the door, letting himself in.

 

Knowing the palace like his own, he followed the winding halls and found Luhan's study. He knocked once on the heavy doors and, without waiting for a response, opened it.

 

“Luhan!” Yixing exclaimed.

 

The other Prince was sitting at a table, surrounded by old scrolls strewn about. He looked up at Yixing's voice, face dark at the intrusion, but brightening almost instantly once he saw who the newcomer was. “Brother! You surprised me!”

 

“Just like how you scared me last time,” Yixing replied dryly.

 

Luhan quickly pushed the scrolls to one side and motioned for Yixing to take a seat. “What's wrong?” he asked, studying Yixing's troubled features.

 

“Everything. Everything's wrong.”

 

Luhan furrowed his brows. “I am the dramatic one, not you,” he said, attempting at lightening the atmosphere but to no avail.

 

“This is no joking matter,” Yixing said tightly. “Our father summoned me and he told me that there's no more time. He gave me a deadline.”

 

“When?”

 

“Ten lunar days.”

 

“Ten lunar days,” Luhan echoed, absently the scrolls -- almost them affectionately.

 

“It doesn't matter if we decide to follow your plan, or for me to begin with our father's now. There's not enough time!” Yixing cried, close to hysteria. If they failed, he would be the one to pay, along with the captive. Luhan would have nothing to do with it.

 

“Do not worry, Brother,” the other Prince said soothingly. “There is more than enough time, but it seems that we have to start much more earlier than I expected.” He glanced to the side of his table and his eyes flashed eerily with glee and determination.

 


Umm...nothing much happens in this chapter because all the fun stuff happens in the next one hehe. i feel that xiuhan shippers will like it~~

If you want more stuff to read, please check out Self Destruction (a taohun fic)